• Powder: 12-15" dry blower
    • Corduroy: perfect groom, firm chalk

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This debate came up during our Snow Cat trip at SES.

Which do you prefer...

Let's say you had to choose between 12-15" fresh blower pow,

or perfectly groomed firm chalk corduroy.

Bluebird skies on both, of course.

I think some of the east coast people here might answer cord based on never having been in the deep.

seriously, what some of the riders in the east call a powder day blows the mind. these are the same people that say it's over rated.

I seem to have all the "luck" this season, seems like nearly every trip I've taken this year has involved some kind of significant dump, and haven't gotten in nearly as many ripper carving days as I would like. So for that reason alone, I vote for the chalk.

Otherwise: For sure ripping turns in deep dry pow is pretty sweet, but the fun is over pretty quickly and then you have push piles to deal with for the rest of the day ... whereas with (truly firm) chalk the fun tends to last all day ... at least.

Unless you're talking about one of those magical days where it dumps and blows all day long so that your tracks get filled in in 20 minutes ....

I voted pow. Nothing quite like it. It's floating on air. Another thing that we don't really experience here in the east is the silence of a big mountain and getting lost in the woods. The pow keeps things so quiet in the woods.

Another kinda rare occurrence is fluff on groom. I've experienced a few days of 5"+ or so of featherlight snow on top of perfect cord. It doesn't last long as the crowds get into it but the sensation of ripping a low carve while the pow envelopes me is absolutely surreal. The board seems to float on air between transitions and then trench midturn. Looking down to see my whole body under the snow is pretty cool...with just my head floating above the snow.

I voted pow. Nothing quite like it. It's floating on air. Another thing that we don't really experience here in the east is the silence of a big mountain and getting lost in the woods. The pow keeps things so quiet in the woods.

Another kinda rare occurrence is fluff on groom. I've experienced a few days of 5"+ or so of featherlight snow on top of perfect cord. It doesn't last long as the crowds get into it but the sensation of ripping a low carve while the pow envelopes me is absolutely surreal. The board seems to float on air between transitions and then trench midturn. Looking down to see my whole body under the snow is pretty cool...with just my head floating above the snow.

I'm with you on this. Especially the fluff on perfect groom. I have had that and it is the ultimate in full immersion, totally forgiving, face shot dishing Nirvana.

Not that I don't love chalk perfect cord days. Pow rules. Always.

I think some of the east coast people here might answer cord based on never having been in the deep.

seriously, what some of the riders in the east call a powder day blows the mind. these are the same people that say it's over rated.

I've been in bottomless pow a couple of times. I have a couple of trips out West that lasted 30+ days. Pow is awesome. It's definitely NOT overrated.

Saying that, if I had to make the choice between only pow, or only perfect cord for the rest of my life, I would choose the cord. Nothing feels better to me then the perfect rail.

Oh, and your right about the East. A pow day is anything that makes the board float...for a second or two...even if it's just between turns. ;)

I did vote for powder. But I must say I have had 3 pow days in a row now and I am wishing there was some chalky cord on the hill. I can carve for weeks and not even think about the pow.

But then again, I wouldn't pay $350+ a day for the groom like I have for the pow.