Note to New Members ×

Should we offer a Sub-Forum for Softboot Carving?

fin

Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can go either way, not a big deal to me

Softbooters are rad! Give them their own forum so that they can talk about their radness there and we (the Hardboot Taliban) can have the carving community fourm back!:eek:

Think Snow!

Couldn't agree more!! I thought this thread / poll was for 2 weeks?

Time to set fire to the "Softbooter Soapbox" or at least fill it with plate bindings and put it in the garage.

Does it get closed today? Locked? Be done with it PLEASE!!

That said we are discussing making a "Softboot" carving forum just for this. However, we want to get your guys opinions. Please vote in the poll if you would like to see this or not. This poll will only be up for two weeks so please vote now if you have an opinion on this.

PS. When does the BOMBER TD SB1 binding arrive for the public??

Hmmm... After watching Dr. D play on his lunch tray with softies the other day, I have a feeling that quite a few of us hard booters could learn a thing or two from him.

It could be the Catek's, it could be the Coiler, it could be the boots, but all in all I think it was just a TON of talent!

I had a few minutes to waist and keep myself entertained so I looked at the quivers of everyone who posted on this thread (including Fin)

I am sure that different people will draw different conclusion but regardless of how you feel or what you think here is the reality

Out of 46 different members who posted on this thread so far at post # 120

3 have nothing posted in their quiver

3 have softboots only in their quiver

20 have harbdoots only in their quiver

20 have hardboots and softboots in their quiver

the above was posted at # 120 but now it's at # 119 which means somebody deleted their post, anyway here is the updated total at post # 337

out of 85 different members who posted on this thread so far at post # 337

7 have nothing posted in their quiver

8 have softboots only in their quiver

39 have harbdoots only in their quiver

31 have hardboots and softboots in their quiver

(John Gilmour have nothing in his profile quiver but i know he rides both so i counted him in the hardboots and softboots group)

Fin, has it been 2 weeks yet? what's the verdict?

PS. When does the BOMBER TD SB1 binding arrive for the public??

This I would definitely like to see. As much as I love my Catek FR2s, they just have way too many screws and moving parts. It's an Engineer's dream, and an end user's nightmare when it comes to maintenance and checking parts...

I can't even find a certain replacement binding part on the Catek site and just had to mickey mouse something together - it's been holding up, though, just not ideal.

• 4 years later...

Well, it has been 5 years since we looked into this so I would like to start this conversation again.

And I do apologizes, we did not start a new forum for softboot carving for a reason at the time......laziness. Honestly, this just fell into the cracks and I never followed through on acting on it. And as I read this post again I feel bad I did not do something here.

But it has been 5 years and I want to see if anything has changed in the opinions on this? As always, we are seeing a good amount of softboot interest here. We also now sell the "Power Plate" for softboot carvers. 

Please vote in the poll and make comments here. Maybe it is time for this?

I would not be in favour of a soft boot  forum until Burton starts a hard boot forum. They are the Enemy always will be. Even though I have a soft boot set up I try not to be seen when riding it. Don't particularly like the look of riding around like you have a load in your pants and gorilla arms. Just my opinion. When watching others ride a soft boot setup it reminds me of a maurading bunch of vagrants with nothing in particular to do waiting to pounce on anything that shows up be it a log a bump a downed alpine boarder or skier.           ( will this get me any warning points ? )

Edited by lowrider

I am all for having a separate topic as lonbordin mentioned, but I would be highly against a completely different forum page (like bomber vs bomber bx).

At-least my personal view, this is a carving community. (Most) members do not care if you are carving on soft boots, hardboots, or skwal. Same with technique; everyone is accepting, willing to help, and discuss. I think it would be a shame to cut the soft booters from that if a whole new forum was made

• Like 1

Just add it in as another subsection. The BX forum isn't working. We all carve. Some better than others. Some do it in softies most of the time and others in hard boots. To segregate would be a bummer. But to introduce the park rat element would not be welcome in my opinion. we are here because we carve and to talk carving and to buy and sell carving. It's fantastic that fin provides a place for us. I for one would be happiest if he would make the power plate into an actual binding ( one that I am more than willing to help design and test ) I love this place and just adding that one extra tab with a softboot/BX area would be great I think. Run what Ya brung and make sure to lay it up on edge....

• Like 2

A separate forum or a sub-topic (like Carving Community)?  Our group is so small I wouldn't want to see it further diluted.

The story of my life; being an outcast of even a niche community.

I don't know that a softboot forum would generate a lot of unique traffic or, for that matter, wisdom. One of the things I love about this forum is that it's loaded with people who've rejected more knowledge about carving than I'll ever possess. I feel like I learn a ton from following discussions on disciplines I'll probably never try, but may be able to apply in some way to my own riding. If it weren't for this forum, I'd still be flailing around on an Arbor or Lib rather than flailing around on a Donek or Rad Air. That's progress! I'd keep things as they are and let us softbooters dig through the topics to determine relevance.

I for one would be happiest if he would make the power plate into an actual binding ( one that I am more than willing to help design and test )

Unless, of course, the tradeoff is an R&D commitment to build a softbinding so I don't have to scrounge up Catek parts or stack my already tall and heavy Ride El Hefes on top of Power Plates!

Carving is carving, we are all brothers (and sisters). I'm fine as is. 

Other wise, a subsection is also ok. I'm against a completely separate forum. BX thing was a failure, it fitted nicely in the existing Racing/coaching subsection. 

Fin, if you wanted a poll, maybe you should discard the old one and start fresh? 

I guess it depends on whether folks mind the occasional soft boot carving topic coming up in the regular forums. If not, then probably fine to keep everything as is. I can say though, speaking as someone who has switched over primarily to Tankers and BX boards with softies, I still relate more to the community here than anywhere else on the interweb. The language, culture and likely the demographics, seem largely similar.

I have buddies who can kill it on softies and hards. They rule on softies on groomers and during deep powpow sessions. It's not the interface it's the rider. Look, I've long admired the few folks out there who can do amazing things on multi-equipe approaches. Free-heel, alpine skiing, alpine boarding, snowboarding, no boarding, mono, mongo, Skwal, tele-board, AT, Kite-boarding, it's all good. Bring the softies to the table and let'em tell of their/mine/our/your adventures, skills, and amp. It's been a short winter here in northern Utah. We need to focus on being less tribal and more accepting of our brothers and sisters who share the stoke of dancing on snow. It's about the dance. It's always been about the dance. Style, grace, beauty, finesse, all trump what you are wearing on your feets. Can you imagine if the surfing community had a similar conversation? It would be twice as long as this thread... 

Mark

• Like 1

I was going to bitch about the necro, but if it's your forum...

---

No.

People who want to ride the edge are few and far between. Splitting them up based on the stiffness of their footwear would reduce communication between those groups and is a schism we don't need. I'm not scared of how well people can carve in soft boots.

By all means create a forum for side-slipping rail-riding people: that is a different sport.

• Like 1

after taking a job this winter at a local snow park just to pass the time waiting for my wife to retire also, I am amazed at the amount of older guys that are taking up snowboarding. They are not going into the jib park but do slide through the boardercross park occasionally.My chiropractor is a snowboarder (ex hawaiian surfer), my urologist is a snowboarder (older than me)and cured me of bladder cancer! (quit smoking and chewing).

These are all guys who are carvers in a soft setup. I feel we really need to be including these people right alongside the "serious" long boarders who are super-hi-tech to the nines(and love to remind you of it). As a ski tech I talk to thousands of people who want to snowboard and are having trouble getting past that painfull learning curve. I can't invite them to come here as they will be accused of being "skidders" or something by some narcissistic , self absorbed goof ball who cant see past his own nose. They just want to have fun, like we did when we started out. Most small snow-parks are ripping out the half pipes and going to boardercross setups(because there are just too many injuries). I was talking to my boss the other day and he sais according to statistics and the ski magazines, more and more snowboarders just want to go side to side (carve) and prolong the ride down the hill to the lift. Once you grow out of that adrenaline "junky" stage, you start to see things a little differently.......we need to reach out to the softbooters also.....they are trying to figure out things , and dealing with a painful learning curve. would we rather them go back to skis?

I forgot to mention that there is a younger generation coming along behind us that is trying to learn carving with hard boots that we need to remain open to....they usually come to our park with ski boots and old Burton raceplates........they spend the morning in the jib-park on softies and park boards then switch to old longboards and skiboots in the afternoon.........reach out..become inclusive ....its better they do this than sit around smoking weed...

Edited by eastcoasticerider

I can't invite them to come here as they will be accused of being "skidders" or something by some narcissistic , self absorbed goof ball who cant see past his own nose.

Really?  I don't recall people ever being treated that way here, this is generally a pretty warm and helpful place for beginners.  Can you point to an example of us poorly treating a newbie?

• Like 1

I agree. I think and really hope that most people here are generally warm and welcome to new carvers.

We are pretty tech/nerdy though. Most internet forums are, by the nature of who sits in front of a computer and reads forums. I think you need a bit of nerd in you (or a very helpful friend) to persevere though the initial hardboot setup curve.

There are any number of enthusiasts with a desire to move productively over snow.  With the vast quantity of 'instructional' garbage on the net, if they come here in search of a kernel of truth that moves them forward, so be it.

Many forum members glide on something other than hard boots, so if they want to discuss the nuances of alpine skiing, telemark, xc skate and classic, or soft booting, I have no problem offering potential solutions to aggravating problems.

Or aggravating solutions to potential problems, if it suits the moment. :)

--- 

Launch the query where everyone can find it, then move the topic as needed.

In the end, it can only build a stronger community.

Besides, monocultures eventually weaken and crash.

Most of the hard/soft conflict surfaces when ardent practitioners of each refuse to acknowledge the shortcomings of their chosen pursuit.

http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/41270-soft-boot-carving-with-bomber-power-plates/#entry420168

Edited by Beckmann AG