Note to New Members ×

Non-racers do you follow alpine racing?

trailertrash

Do you follow alpine racine  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you follow alpine racine

• I don't follow at all.
    • I know some racer names but don't really follow the sport.
    • I follow race results.

I guess former racer = non-racer. Yes, I follow results and get all excited if I can find a race on TV

Racer gear selection may influence me a bit, but it's not a primary factor in gear selection. I'm not going to buy a race-ready Kessler or SG, and no matter what people tell me, I'm convinced that I will break any Ibex/Burton/F2 binding- but boot choice is interesting and race-inspired board shapes are on my wishlist.

I try to follow the racers but it's difficult to get race footage in the US. Coverage is a lot better in Europe.

Racing gear has zero impact on my gear selection. Racing shapes will influence builders and will get passed on down to me as a consumer which will help progress gear. But as Tex indicated I have no interest in owning a Kessler, SG, etc. Granted I have not set foot on either of those boards yet.

I look at the results and video clips when they come my way. I do not activelly search for them. Catching a race coverage on TV is like seeing pigs fly... However, I'm very glad when our team does well.

I like some of the true modern race boards, but I would never be only on them. Still like to have "old school" metal and non-metal girl sized GS boards, AM boards, pow boards and freeride boards in my quiver.

Given the above, I do not know where to cast my vote.

yeah I follow racing. I love seeing my friends who race and hearing about how they are doing. Seeing the races here is kinda tough though, usually read about them before getting to see them if I get to see them. I can't wait to watch to five ring circus with KarverKai.

Racing does have some influence on my equipment as Geoff mentioned. I do have an SG and plan to demo new race boards and boards influence by raceboards. My SG is my go to board at this time.

I ride mostly racer style with a bit of freakcarve thrown in for good measure.

Ink

I will occasionally look at the FIS website to see what's going on. I've all but given up looking for it on TV, but if I come across it I drop what I'm doing and watch.

Race or race-derived boards are usually my favorite rides, although I have only just now been able to justify buying a Kessler, barely. Otherwise I buy the best I can get from the more accessible sources.

I check the FIS site once in a blue moon.

As far as gear choices go, I seem to ride best and have the most fun on bindings that are favored among racers, boards that are race-inspired but not really race boards (i.e., Coiler NSR, VSR, Monster over a Kessler), and I seem to prefer my boots much softer than racers (white Track 700s - my understanding is racers like stiffer boots, and I can see why)

FWIW I do USASA or Nastar whenever I can fit them in. I still have a lot to learn but I have a lot of fun learning.

I voted option #2

I'm interested in the gear and technique used by racers to see how it may or may not apply to me. I went to Tremblant last year to watch a race. I wanted to get a first hand look at what goes on - gear, technique, course, riders, etc. It was very cool to see. I enjoy getting into the minute details of things and it gave me a better understanding of my own setup and its limits.

With that said, I do not follow race results.

I really enjoy watching racing footage and would like to try it a few times for kicks but I don't know any racers' names nor follow the circuit at all.

I enjoy expanding my riding abilities so I gladly soak up any info on racer technique and try to incorporate it into my riding.

It's great to get the 'trickle down' effect where boards become easier/more fun to ride over time. If anything is faster on the race course but less fun to ride (not sure that's possible), I'm not really interested in that.

Racing is interesting to me, and I feel like there is a lot that I can learn from reading about it and watching it. I only know a few racers names and such, but I would like to know more. As far as actual individual/team rankings go - I wish all of this stuff were more accessible ... it would be cool if there were a site for keeping track of the races with good/recent/extensive information about the competitors, as well as an ongoing and accessible rankings chart.

Despite my fairly scant knowledge about racing: I REALLY wish that Alpine racing was not limited to just PSL and PGS right now. I'd really like to see some longer, single-competitor GS and SL courses, as well as Super G.

I enjoy watching ski and snowboard racing when I happen to come across it on TV once in a blue moon. But no, I don't follow racing. I do try to soak up what I can find here about racing gear and techniques though, and try to decipher what of that might be applicable to improve my freecarving. So I certainly respect and appreciate what racing brings to freecarving.

Here in Canuck-Land, CBC TV broadcasts racing in high-def. My Series 3 HD TiVo (with 1.25 TB hard drive, of course) recorded World Cup races last winter, using the Wishlist Search "snowboard*."

And every other snowboarding show was recorded as well, including Pingu goes snowboarding, how snowboards are made (on Discovery Channel), etc.

Here in Canuck-Land, CBC TV broadcasts racing in high-def. My Series 3 HD TiVo (with 1.25 TB hard drive, of course) recorded World Cup races last winter, using the Wishlist Search "snowboard*."

And every other snowboarding show was recorded as well, including Pingu goes snowboarding, how snowboards are made (on Discovery Channel), etc.

you sir should up a torrent for us

I'll seed it for awhile.

And you kept quiet about it, to us mortal, regullar cable users? How about cutting some DVDs, next time you come by?

The only recordings I have now are Pingu The Snowboarder (animation for children), and Ride Guide TV.

As the winter season rolls along, I'll keep the good shows (like the World Cup and Olympic stuff) and send them out.

Need to figure out how to convert from TiVo format to DVD format though.

I don't actively follow racing but if I stumble on it, I watch.

The main problem I have with snowboard racing footage is the same problem I have with handegg and baseball: ten minutes of blathering talking heads for every two minutes of actual action. My attention span just isn't up to the task. I'll be looking for torrents of the Olympics though.

Pretty much the only coverage I've ever seen is the Winter Olympics, so no, can't say I'm a follower in any sense of the term.

I will sit on the hill and watch the local boys racing. They always seem to be do race training of some sort in my part of the world(Japan), which is really cool because I'm like monkey see monkey do... except my gates are always super sized:rolleyes: