Note to New Members ×

What's Everybody's Arsenal Looking Like This Winter?

barryj

On 11/2/2022 at 2:39 PM, 1xsculler said:

Brand spankin new Nidecker Blade 158 and Nobile N58 (thank you Lukas) will facilitate my attempts at K-carving on my first and second 2 hour/10 run days. 
New Thirst XC and my black first XC (favorite board) and a nearly new SF. 
I also have access to like new Coilers (172 AM, 166 and 162 Contras)AE0B93AE-D453-4B7D-BD34-053EDF70D994.jpeg.2366ab8cdbbbc409c1d5e8815c6c6d25.jpeg which I gave to a friend of mine who is the only carver I have ever found at Crystal. 

That new XC stance set back is further back than the old one. Is that Marks magic or your preference?

4 hours ago, slopestar said:

Hoping to see a couple more in the coming weeks. 
alloysnow.com81606EA7-6325-4311-8786-5B4663610B38.jpeg.e3b49f3b28d8d354a796190a4b8ba209.jpeg

Is that the Darwin on the far left? They need to make that one in a 175ish length with a +26.5ish waist. That would be a homerun for us bigger-boned(and footed) folks... 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kneel said:

Is that the Darwin on the far left? They need to make that one in a 175ish length with a +26.5ish waist. That would be a homerun for us bigger-boned(and footed) folks... 👍

Yes Darwin on the left. 26 waist. 159. I thought it was small before banging through moguls and trees. Also the camber that sits more towards directly under the rear foot like most of the Alloy's helps it float. The Do's for everyday all the time and the AZX is just the most stable SB board out there. I watch all of the Moss/Japanese style riders boards wiggle and shudder and you watch the Koreans and sometimes me... not fighting it at all. They all ride super smooth . I still haven't figured out the Hermes on the right. 162 Carver/flat ground trick board. I'm not as nimble as i used to be  so the ground trick game is lost on me

my board corner:
spacer.png

Got the Pure Boarding "Butterfly" covered in stickers to obscure the original profane name on the topsheet for kid-friendly instruction and coaching. Sorry @BlueB, I made it even uglier.

Trying some inward canting at lower angles on my wide K2 board to see if that allows me to ride lower angles comfortably.

Still in love with my Prior WCRM.

19 minutes ago, Jarcode said:

Trying some inward canting at lower angles on my wide K2 board to see if that allows me to ride lower angles comfortably.

Looks like about 45° on the front foot, on that K2? I'd try inward canting only at the rear, which is at a much lower angle. 

Well I wanted to post a laugh at the "outrigger" thing, but I think those who do that whole diving for the snow thing at least now have something to aim at. You can't get any lower than that. I'm not entirely sure it's not a complete p*ss take. His transitions - where he clambers back up onto the board - are ugly and could be much improved upon with a great deal of practice. 

And it's nothing like as much fun as looking at all these posts, but there is relevance to this being a single board, the only one I plan to carry this season. Mostly I'll be in deep powder, but this baby works in resort hardpack too, something which I've never had before. That may be just my luck in finally getting a board which will do that, but I suspect the last few seasons have seen some serious improvements in torsional stiffness from this type of board. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Otherwise, I'm encouraged by the emergence of "K carving" boards - anything which brings carving and skill more mainstream seems to me to be an excellent change. Spin less, carve more.

20221008-193838 (1).jpg

Edited by philw
Image issues

7 hours ago, BlueB said:

Looks like about 45° on the front foot, on that K2? I'd try inward canting only at the rear, which is at a much lower angle. 

I've since moved it to around +15/+35. I was running +30/+45 with only inward canting at the rear last season, with the stance significantly narrowed. I was pretty much always flexing the binding inwards to maintain knee alignment whenever I previously attempted lower angles.

I accomplished the canting by mounting the weird Burton plates under it in an unusual position; it also gives me toe lift in the front and heel lift in the rear.

This is just an experiment to see if I can get a setup with lower angles working for beginner lessons, since +43/+57 on the bastard makes for awkward falling leaf demos.

21 hours ago, Corey said:

Which Burton is that again? 

Hometown Hero - the shortest board I've ever liked, at 144, but it's a game changer for me, to have one board for backcountry powder and also resorts. I'm not sure why - it could be that with my [mellow] stance, this width allows me to get my feet across it better than even the (only slightly wider) Dump Truck, or it's that this has better torsional flex. I may have to set up an experiment to check the torsion theory out, as I only need to check the relative torsions of those two boards to know if there's a significant change.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2022 at 3:49 PM, big mario said:

mine, but its secret

On 11/13/2022 at 5:56 PM, snowburn said:

you got Thirsty

The suspense is Killing me :eek:    What ya got??

I'll have to go with the Thirst consensus!  That board sleeve looks too familiar!

...but what model???? 

• Haha 1