Note to New Members ×

What's Everybody's Arsenal Looking Like This Winter?

barryj

Thank God it's finally Nov. 1st!   Significant Snow is in our forecast here in Tahoe!

For this winter my quiver has slimmed down to 5 boards (around 8 last few season!)

1- Coiler ECSS 178 - my east coast EC groomer slayer 

2- Swoard Dual II 168 - my everyday, all conditions work board, west coast EC board

3- Donek Rev 163 + Donek UPM F Plate - Hard Charging Carving Machine

4- Moss PQ60 - It will ride/carve everything but I save it just for Pow days                    If I had to be limited to only one board, this would be it! 

5- And I got a turny little bandit in the oven at Coiler that Bruce promises I will see in early Dec. will round out the arsenal!

What's Your Lineup??

1.jpg

My.jpeg

• Like 1

From left to right:

Donek Voyager 160: My first and so far only alpine board. Unsurprisingly, it's by far the best board for carving that I own. Still learning how to ride it.

Lib Tech Orca 147: My powder board and former all mountain board. With the bindings set back, it gives effortless float in powder. Probably also my rock board this season.

Jones W Solution 152: My splitboard. It's a splitboard. Love the way the Phantom hardware rides.

Arbor Element Camber 153, 25th anniversary edition: My all mountain board and preferred ride for moguls and steeps. I love wood veneer top sheets.5991419F-A1A3-4DAC-A2BC-C612226B48B2.jpeg.e71333ebc10b383502316002149564d6.jpeg

Not shown here because I haven't ordered it yet: Probably a 152ish Donek Flux for softboot carving.

• Like 1

Donek knapton twin 156cm, 20m sidecut, 33.5cm waist width (maxed out their press for width).   Have not ridden it yet but did one run on a similar 156cm 19.5m sidecut that was 32.2cm waist width (I think, don't remember exact number).  Previous board was a 158cm, 16m sidecut, 32cm waist width.  

20221102_145155.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brand spankin new Nidecker Blade 158 and Nobile N58 (thank you Lukas) will facilitate my attempts at K-carving on my first and second 2 hour/10 run days. 
New Thirst XC and my black first XC (favorite board) and a nearly new SF. 
I also have access to like new Coilers (172 AM, 166 and 162 Contras)AE0B93AE-D453-4B7D-BD34-053EDF70D994.jpeg.2366ab8cdbbbc409c1d5e8815c6c6d25.jpeg which I gave to a friend of mine who is the only carver I have ever found at Crystal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kitejumping said:

Donek knapton twin 156cm

Hey KJ,

Very Cool custom top sheet!!   I haven't seen that option on the Donek site....what's the story?    How much extra was that??

Edited by barryj

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Hey KJ,

Very Cool custom top sheet!!   I haven't seen that option on the Donek site....what's the story?    How much extra was that??

Thanks, I did the graphics design so I think it was about an extra $85, they can design graphics for you as well but that gets more expensive.  I've done a few of them that way, it's fun when you get to be on your own snowboard 😁.  Top part of the graphic is Vail last season on the super crowded day converted into everyone storming the castle / lift 😆, then me walking through a dr strange portal and getting the whole run to myself on the bottom.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kitejumping said:

Thanks, I did the graphics design so I think it was about an extra $85, they can design graphics for you as well but that gets more expensive.  I've done a few of them that way, it's fun when you get to be on your own snowboard 😁.  Top part of the graphic is Vail last season on the super crowded day converted into everyone storming the castle / lift 😆, then me walking through a dr strange portal and getting the whole run to myself on the bottom.  

Yup that top sheet is way cool!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gunslinger65 said:

Yes A-10s on the left and el hefes. Love em both. Just a solid simplistic stiff binding. Is the x-carve new for you? I got mine last season, this thing rips. Enjoy!!!

I got it in March last winter from Ivan at icarve. wicked board but I’m still new at carving. I’m looking at a10 as well or union atlas fc 

4A3C4038-385A-4EC7-86C1-C091B021DBA5.jpeg

Edited by i8summer

3 hours ago, Corey said:

That 20m sidecut got my eyebrows raised up near their limit. Thoughts of old school Avalanche Blade (I think?) with no sidecut...

This guy IMHO was a ripper before he adopted this style. He broke his femur last season using the body drag/outrigger technique by steering (orlack there of) into a bamboo pole/ropeline on the fringe. I get the huge sidecuts but laying on the snow or outrigger technique is just scary and asking for trouble. "don't pat the dog"

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, slopestar said:

broke his femur last season using the body drag/

Ouch!   Mad skill but, yeah laying it out as looong as he does and on such hard pack rubble is asking for trouble.  I imagine to took a death cookie to the femur!  Your right, I'd call that a body drag technique, not EC.  

• Like 1

Ouch, it looks like he is testing his luck in that video.  You can see in some of the turns he locks the edges in and they happen quick and look normal, but other ones when he is laying down he's sliding down the hill and his edges are bouncing in and out of the snow.  IMHO, laydown carves (especially the heelsides) probably shouldn't happen unless the snow is perfect and you can lock the edge in and skim your but on the snow (and get out of it) while leaving a deep clean track and not touching the snow with your hands.  I also learned them initially a few years ago with not the best technique but I don't mess around with them these days unless the snow is just right for them and the edge locks in and leaves a deep carved track and rooster tail.  They are fun then to feel the gforces on the board when it decambers but it's pretty rare to have snow that can support the forces at those edge angles.   Yep, don't pat the dog or it might bite you.  

Edited by kitejumping
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, slopestar said:

This guy IMHO was a ripper before he adopted this style. He broke his femur last season using the body drag/outrigger technique by steering (orlack there of) into a bamboo pole/ropeline on the fringe. I get the huge sidecuts but laying on the snow or outrigger technique is just scary and asking for trouble. "don't pat the dog"

No 👏 Outrigger👏 Technique👏

no_outrigger_technique.jpeg.dfed13c29e831ffce53bc0baaae0d6ed.jpeg

😈

3 hours ago, b.free said:

My lineup for this season 

44CFE781-D842-45AC-BC76-A3B54DD64ED2.jpeg.06a245adb750ffbd6f30834528b2b6dc.jpeg

Sick rides!!!  I was sooo close pulling the trigger on a big Virus this year, but I trashed my MTB early this season.  One new frame later and my family is still eating rice and beans for dinner.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, slopestar said:

This guy IMHO was a ripper before he adopted this style

Uh yeah imho that's not carving.  Or snowboarding.

On 11/2/2022 at 3:54 PM, kitejumping said:

156cm, 20m sidecut,

That would be unusable where I ride, and several other northeast mountains I can think of.  20m is world cup giant slalom 185 territory.  Let's see some video when you get to try it, I'm curious to see where and how one could let such a beast run wild!

1 hour ago, st_lupo said:

No 👏 Outrigger👏 Technique

There's a difference between a feeler and an outrigger.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Jack M said:

Uh yeah imho that's not carving.  Or snowboarding.

That would be unusable where I ride, and several other northeast mountains I can think of.  20m is world cup giant slalom 185 territory.  Let's see some video when you get to try it.

Yep, I think it will be fine since the similar 19.5 sidecut one I rode was easy enough to decamber into tighter turns when needed, but if it's too much for my resorts I'll just use it as my snowkiting board where a bigger radius locks in much better and avoids speed wobble (I think Kessler made a few 80m or so sidecut boards for the redbull race snowkiters in Norway. 

• Like 1