Note to New Members ×

Lower Mainland Carvers' Diaries, 2022/23

Jarcode

Whistler day 3

Started the day teaching my cousins how to snowboard the wrcrm is not a good teaching board. That lsster about 2 hours then rode the rest of the day on soft boots.

Boomer bowl is amazing good drops and nice powder.

Saw the noth shore sb club at comp today (mike coaching and Nick riding).

Need to figure out how to reduce the size of my foot print keep carchig my heals. On light heal side turns not a fun time. 

Nice L4 morning session, in terms of content. However, we had totally frozen corduroy and grooming ridges everywhere and some "boulders" on Horizon. On bright side, we had about 1hr of blizzard and some snow accumulated quickly. 

I'll be back tomorrow for 2 carving sessions. Have your edges sharp! 

Edited by BlueB

Hey lower mainland carvers!  My GF and I are headed to Whistler/Blackcomb for the first time in 100 years next week to do some carving...I barely remember the place and I've never ridden a carving board there.  I've had a look at some recommendations on previous forum posts but some lifts appear to have been replaced over the years so it is a bit tricky to sort out. I've made an initial brief list to help us get the most out of our time and I'm hoping some might have suggestions, confirmation, or thoughts on the lifts below:

Blackcomb:  

• Jersey Cream
  • Crystal Ridge 

Whistler

• Harmony 
  • Emerald

Any advice is welcome...thanks!

Hey @DMKW welcome 

I brought my carving stuff up for my trip this week and had to put it down after day 1 their is a lot of deep soft snow and on piste is very choppy at best ATM.

but if your dedicated emerald will probably be your best other than big red if the grommings good on whistler side on black comb the famialy areas can be your best for not chopped mess. 

the new epic mix app was pretty good for telling me what was grommed the night before.

harmony was much better for off piste then on over the last week. 

Have fun 

ps boomer bowl is amazing ATM with a nice wide board 

• Thanks 1

Full day of staff sessions. No carving "customers" this morning, so I've split my time between two other groups Ema's L2 prep training (which turned out to be an intro carving lesson) and Mike's L3 Park prep. In the pm two girls joined the carving session. One progressed hugely, to the L2 passing level and other one still working on "clean" edge, but both delighted and will come back for more 🙂

Sorry that I couldn't join your session.

My back pain progressed to extreme levels over the past few days. I can't walk without significant medication now, there is a very high likelihood I damaged another lumbar disc, causing it to bulge into my spinal cord. Nerve pain through my hips and down one of my legs... very similar to the last time I seriously injured my back at work.

If things don't start improving soon, I'm off to the hospital for imaging. I can't even sit down to type.

Moral of the story: don't ignore back pain and continue to snowboard on it.

• Sad 2

48 minutes ago, charliechocolate said:

This ~!@#$%^&ing weather. Too wet for bikes, too warm for boards.

Cypress has had it pretty rough this year. I met so many Vancouverites fleeing the rain all the way out at Manning.

I blame our amazing carving conditions for my injury... was enjoying myself too much to let some pain take me off the slopes. Its really hard to take some downtime when you're living minutes away from excellent snow & grooming!

My GS board has finally cleared customs, so I'll have a nice present to myself by the time I'm recovered.

Hump Day runs: Humpster Dumpster, Horizon Bypass, Lower Cat Track.

Wowsers Humpster Dumpster. Just the right pitch. Enough fresh so there was no bottoming-out. Got there when it opened. You know when you drop into a big bowl of freshies? That's what it felt like. Speedy cruisy surfy. Ripped the row-boat out of it. I don't think I've ever done that on Humpster Dumpster. 100% certified tomato fresh.

• Like 1

Day 33, Manning

First day back after my spinal injury. Restricted myself to a half day and only took a single bunny hill lesson, but everything worked out well. Still difficult to get my bindings on, and I can't carve much.

However, some mellow green runs and very light carving seems to be helping the pain. Keeping off the pain meds for now.

Students were really fun today, absolute beginners that were close to turning in just over an hour. I get to teach them again tomorrow! Snow is not the perfection I was carving on two weeks ago, some freeze/thaw is in effect now, but the grooming is still great. Orange streak looked incredible today.

At this rate, I think I'm 4-5 days away from being fully recovered.