Note to New Members ×

Lower Mainland Carvers' Diaries, 2022/23

Jarcode

Day 53 & 54, Manning

Forgot to make an entry yesterday. Groomers have been much better after a little bit of freeze-thaw to counteract the excessively soft snow. We got a bit of wet snow today, but it should cool down tonight and leave us with even more snowfall for tomorrow.

Yesterday I had a pretty standard bunny hill lesson, and then a staff carving lesson teaching snowboard patrol the same drill @BlueB taught me. It actually worked quite well!

Today I taught some eleven year old prodigy all the way to linked turns and a carved traverse, coming uphill pretty far. It took me about 75 minutes to get there from his first day on a board.

I then conducted a short staff orientation for Ethan. Pretty straightforward.

I tried the mono ski what a monster felt like I had no controll might give it another shot later this week one of the ski instructors is interested.

Will say after trying the snowpro bindings with not enough lift it's insane such a difference  toe and heal lift makes sadly don't think I can fit my f2s on it to try the plate by its self. 

May be giving Levi's donek a try in the next few days but tommorow the mayham starts. 

Also the nx2 Cxs are such an amazing binding with the main flaw I see so far is the lock on the buckles coming off but other wise loving them will be trying them with heavy forward angles in the comming week. 

You also may see Michel mehan trying the nidecker this week. 

Edited by roch

They might but some eye balling looked like they might interfier with the bolts that hold the plate on 

Day idk 

Good lessons got 7 students to turning today. Started heavy snow in the morning ended with some nice powder on the side of the run. 

We had hero groomers and bluebird morning, then it snowed quite a bit in early pm. 

During my 2nd park run I caught the edge doing a Cab and flew sideways, landed hard on my back - full chiro, every vertebra snapped. It's quite sore in between the shoulder blades, now. Luckily it was the last run of the day. We'll see how much it would affect me tomorrow... 

• Sad 1

Managed to get out of the bed and on board this morning. The back got a bit better as I got warmed up. Bluebird, great hardish pack. 

I went on my Coiler alpine to do the last two rising tasks, corridor and carving. That went really well, but it won't count for anything after the yesterday's fiasco... 

Teach in the pm. Not as good as I was hoping. 

I'm off tomorrow, just fooling around. Pedagogy on Thursday. 

Edited by BlueB

1/2" hardpack this morning. Held pretty well through the day. Runs of the day Brodway, a better and longer version of our Rainbow and Cruiser a long rolling blue. I also went down the Headwalls, that hasn't been groomed this morning. Still kinda-sorta carvable, but boy, that place is as steep as a groomed run can get. 

I saw 2 hardbooters (yesterday 1) on the Sundance, in the pm. I wonder if someone from this forum? 

Day 55-57

Cypress first, pretty standard lesson exploring blue terrain. Really icy conditions at night.

Then Manning, pretty fun so far with Shawnigan students. Lessons with teachers and students, generally good grooming, both bluebird days. Ethan seems to enjoy the teaching & riding here.

Really let my WCRM with the VIST plate rip today. Featherstone was trenched up, and my trenches from yesterday on orange streak were still visible this morning, since they skipped grooming that. My carving was getting quite aggressive at the end of the day, much higher speeds than I usually do... the plate gives me a lot of confidence and stability.

The free food here has been great too!

@BlueB Hope you're doing alright. I spotted some mystery hardbooters the last time I was at Sun Peaks too... I don't think they're on here.

Day 58/59, Manning

We're getting a steady stream of snowfall now, kind of ruining the carving for me, since I'm stubborn and don't want to go off-piste at the moment. About 25cm fell over the day, and 10cm  yesterday morning. We're dealing with "medium" pack again.

No lessons yesterday, needed to help with sweep though. One really good lesson today, had the parent extend the slot by an hour.

Ethan was pretty busy today. Daniel "enjoyed" the monoski yesterday.

@BlueB don't push yourself to ride on an injury... that's how my disc gave out.

Day 60, Manning

Steady snowfall the entire day, still really soft hardpack. Had one two hour lesson, pulled Ethan in to aid since we had a pretty big gap between students. Everyone did pretty well, I entertained a very talkative seven year old.

I'm really tired. It was pretty windy at the top and my carving wasn't as good as it should have been today.

Day 61: Cypress, training w/ Boris. Pretty fun, and productive. Worked on it in the days that followed. The ALTS session was really nice since a bunch of surprise snow hit us beforehand, vastly improving the carving on panorama. Last shift of the season!

Day 62: Manning, soft hardpack, lots of leftover powder off-piste. Cold. I taught a school group lesson on the chairlift. My carving felt a bit off, and I was really tired from the long drive.

Day 63: Manning, perfect hardpack, perfect grooming. One of the best carving days of the season. Some of Ray's friends returned today to enjoy the snow, and were really enjoying themselves on the steeps. Taught one bunny hill lesson. My plate came loose AGAIN, I'm going to have to get some locktight and get into a habit of tightening up the bolts every three days or so. Very cold, started and ended at -25C, and had to help with sweep again.

Tomorrow is a pow day off Blue Chair... we can see all the snow accumulated there and it's opening tomorrow.

Day 64, Manning

Pow in the morning off Blue Chair, one school group lesson, a bunch of excellent carving on the still perfect hardpack from Bear. One staff carving lesson in the afternoon... more extension drills, really focused on keeping the weight back today.

Much warmer today. Got lots of footage from the morning since it was bluebird pow...