Note to New Members ×

Lower Mainland Carvers' Diaries, 2022/23

Jarcode

Full on spring conditions! Mornimg: 1/4" hard pack, lunchtime: slush. 

I'm impressed with the big Nirvana's edge hold on near-frozen conditions. Its going to be a very versatile ride, for me. I had a scary moment - totally overshot the jump under the Lions, stomped pretty flat and my front bail popped open 😳 I managed to ride out of it without twisting the leg, but on the eventual crush-stop banged up the last year broken wrist 😞 

Afterwards, I rode a new to me BXFR 161. Interestingly, it's less nimble than I was expecting. Rides almost the same as my super fat AMT 169. I started dialing the binding angles back and it's feeling better. Currently at 36 / 24, might still go down... 

Day 85, Manning

Returned to work after a break… since my truck’s fuel tank sprung a leak and needed to be replaced, I had to borrow a car to get up here.

Snow! Firm and somewhat uneven hard pack, but about 5-10cm fell today. I expected warm temps, but the forecast was yet again way off with this surprise snowfall. Not the best conditions by our standards, but it reminded me of “good” Cypress snow.

Two lessons, one chairlift, the other on the bunny hill.

My feet were really sore today, it felt like they had to reshape to my boot again after the break. Was better at the end of the day.

Met a parent interested in my club program for next season! I also spotted the lunatic skwal-skaters again today.

Tomorrow is the last day for the public. Monday is staff only. There’s also another L1 course going on again, tons of staff getting certified…

I will be coming up to Cypress for one more day as well, with my sister. I also might consider Whistler again late April, if anyone else is interested.

So, we had that "Cypress good snow", today. I'm done with my duties, so freerode with Patrick for most of the day and a bit with Luka in the pm. 

Toys: P - Kessler BX, B - Coiler BXFR 

I've somehow, literally bent my phone, without braking it 🤪 

Surprise pow day! 15 cm on trumpeter, deeper higher up.

I was stuck on the Lions chair for a good 12 minutes 200 meters from the top. It started moving and stopping every few inches until it slowly and steadily crawled up to the top. They closed it down for two hours and with Midway not running, I guess the racer kids had most of the morning off.

It had snowed a bunch and Lions was closed long enough for me to get a couple of pow runs mid day.

Should make for pretty good soft pack tomorrow.

Day 86 & 87, Manning

Last day of the season, followed by a staff only day. We got snowfall both days, decent carving. A lot of staff showed today, making it busier than the average weekday!

Lots of farewells, funny costumes, and inebriated staff. The kitchen was making comically oversized meals to get rid of food:

spacer.png

I got to see a lot of the staff I taught riding today, pretty satisfying to see their improvement.

My front knee may have been twisted at some point this season because it has been aching for some time. I actually think it was from my last attempt at skiing. The week of downtime didn’t do much for it…

Loved working here, and will be returning again next year.

Powowow all day! Miserable weather in the city and in the parking lot detracted most of the people - 0 lift lines. The tracks were filling in almost as one would do a lap, so conditions got progressively better through the day. Sky opened early in the am. We did all the glades and some bumps around the Sky and later in the day Top Gun, Slash and Moons. The last had the most consistent snow, actually. 2nd best, the trees to the skier's left of the Ripcord. 

Toys: B - BXFR, P - Spectre 

Similar weather pattern as last Saturday and the same crew and toys. However, a lot less snow came down, so it just changed from semi-crappy to ok conditions. Lots of fog/cloud, the trees were the best bet. Nice surprise at the cafeteria- the ribs special. 

That's it for Cypress, for this season. We still might do a day or two at Grouse and maybe a Whistler outing in May... But I'm really in mood to switch to the summer mode. 

Edited by BlueB