Note to New Members ×

Lower Mainland Carvers' Diaries, 2022/23

Jarcode

Day 21, Cypress

Probably the worst conditions of the season. I think about 70mm of rain dumped on Cypress today, completely betraying forecasts again (it said 5mm this morning!). Waterfalls, sinkholes, and pooling water everywhere. Somehow, easy rider was still crowded. My phone is also probably ruined from the rain, waterproof pockets didn't work so well.

The actual teaching was the only thing that made my day enjoyable. I had students that toughed through the rain pretty well in both the morning and afternoon.

Didn't even bother to go for my own laps because I didn't bring a wakeboard. The base is shrinking fast; if things don't cool down soon we could be seeing runs and lifts closing.

Day 22, Manning.

Firm snow, some icy patches revealed in some parts of the mountain. Good carving, much faster snow than what we kicked off the season with. Snowfall started at the end of the day, and it's still coming down.

Two group lessons today, both were pretty fun.

¡Hola amigos! 

With greatest disgust, I report that I completely forgot how to surf, after 4-5 years not doing it. Not that I was any good before, but I could get up and make a turn, at least... Now, with both shoulders about to pop when I paddle and wrist/fingers of the broken hand hurting, it seems that I'm done with this sport... 😞 

Deep sea fishing, tomorrow morning, will be my vengeance and redemption... hopefully. 

Day 23, Manning

Firm snow, and a LOT of snowfall. Forecast was completely off again, expected 5cm at most, got almost 25cm through the day. Great carving.

Had two lessons, both ended up as private. First group had to be split up due to an age & skill gap.

One of the kids I taught was a prodigy... so much fun to teach. I also was teaching a surfer how to snowboard, so it seems like @BlueB and I are on opposite ends today.

Day 24, Manning.

Day started with vehicle problems. Seems like the mass of electrical issues that hit my truck during the cold snap has the transmission stuck in between modes... won't start unless it's in park/neutral, and nothing seems to get it there. I'm stuck here now; had to take the bus up the ski hill.

Decent groom, nice carving in the morning, firm hardpack underneath. Cleared up during the day to reveal our usual view.

Two lessons, both were siblings with a bit of a skill gap, but I still managed to teach a good deal to the stronger riders. So much fun!

Met a hardbooter from Vancouver! Apparently he rides at Cypress, I have referred him to @BlueBfor advanced lessons (out of my territory!). EC style, F2 Silberpfeil, Track 700 w/ intec heels. Looks like there's a couple people escaping the terrible snow from the north shore mountains here.

Happy new years to everyone rode the 3800 all day now by far one of my favorite soft and hardboot boards.

It's performance is out of this world the tight and big turns feel amazing.

The mogul and jumps feel amazing.

Nothing but praise for this beast also feels very nice on drops. 

Day 25, Manning

Started with laps with ski instructors and one of the other part time snowboard instructors. Ended in a nasty crash between the two of us... I loaded my nose and flew off into the trees to prevent slicing the snowboard instructor who speed checked at an unfortunate position. No uphill checks on his behalf, and I incorrectly assumed he'd hold his carve.

My ankle is bruised from the boot plastic digging into it, but not sprained. Would have been broken with a softboot. Manager made me get checked out at patrol, I survived on unhealthy amounts of ibuprofen to keep riding & teaching through the day. It barely hurts now, but we'll see how it feels tomorrow morning...

Co-taught a kid's group lesson in the morning, since I returned to the bunny hill late after getting my return to work approval. Had a staff carving lesson in the afternoon! So much fun, was a complete success.

Amazing grooming in the morning, mostly clear today. Some icy sections but still great snow here.

Day 26, Manning

This is technically my day off, but I prescribed myself some mellow carving as physiotherapy for yesterday's injury. Only did 6 laps... was really sore this morning though. Whiplash, lower back is stiff, but my foot is a lot better than it was yesterday.

Good conditions, little firmer than yesterday. Groomers were ruined really fast this morning by heel edge warriors scraping all the snow downhill.

Back to Cypress tomorrow.

Day 27, Cypress

Training in the morning with Emma working on off-piste riding. Was extremely painful on my injury given the icy state of the moguls here.

Carving training in the afternoon with Charlie. I got some nice tips out of it for teaching others how to carve... but still a lot of sloppy riding on my behalf due to injury and being a little thrown off by the conditions and visibility. Looking forward to having @BlueB back for hardboot instruction.

ALTS session in the evening, got some good progress out of my group. I really like this program!

Drove all  the way back to Manning after, ended up reaching here at about 1:30AM. Not sure that was a good idea, my sleep suffered...

Day 28, Manning

Excellent morning groom & hardpack, with a fairly empty mountain (<50 tickets sold). I taught a high level staff carving lesson to another snowboard instructor, using some of the criteria I learned from Cypress yesterday.

My next lesson was a youth carving lesson! Lots of habits to break, but so much fun to teach. It's unusual to see kids ask for carving instead of park...

I love this job! More tomorrow.

• Like 1

Day 29, Manning

School groups today! Bus showed up late, so I got a lot of early tracks on the absolutely phenomenal grooming job, riding with one of the staff responsible for the coduroy today! We've had so many good carving days here and I still can't get enough of it.

Lessons were fun; we ended up getting a big group of kids all at a similar skill level and co-taught.

Joined our short-handed patrol for the sweep today, and then headed over to the pub to watch hockey with a bunch of staff.

Rode orange streak for the first time today since the grooming on it finally widened it enough for carving. Very difficult, steeper than the first pitch of JJ at Cypress... but so much fun.

spacer.png

More tomorrow!

Whistler day 1 

Decient conditions up top but bottom half was rock hard ice hard pack groom 

Squamish man fixed the toe issues so that's great still figuring out my stance getting quite a lot of top of my thigh pain as the day goes on.

Goes away as soon as I take the board off 

Edited by roch
  • Haha 1

Day 30, Manning

Somewhat frustrating day. Great first laps, phenomenal grooming, nice clear sunny day... but the school group lessons exhausted my patience. We had a student who wilfully misidentified their skill level and ended up on Bear chair with only the ability to sideslip on mellow terrain (no pendulum), despite preliminary questioning before heading up. Ended up wasting a ton of my time, when I could have been making progress with other students.

Second group was much more fun, and the students seemed to appreciate my faster pace of teaching (they complained that a lesson at Grouse was twice as long and covered far less material!). Although I didn't clear them to use the chairlift, I did see them successfully make it down with some of their more advanced friends later on.

Had a really close call with one of my students who almost got her neck sliced by an out-of-control skier on the bunny hill, who was freeriding after his own lessons... making it the second lecture I had to give today.

Had some fun laps with the students I taught on my first day of work, since this was a returning school. Some have improved a lot!

More tomorrow.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, roch said:

Whistler day 1 

Decient conditions up top but bottom half was rock hard ice hard pack groom 

Squamish man fixed the toe issues so that's great still figuring out my stance getting quite a lot of top of my thigh pain as the day goes on.

Goes away as soon as I take the board off 

Front thigh pain = stance too wide, and/or not enough toe lift. 

I'll be the trainer tomorrow morning, if you care to join. 

• Confused 1

Day 31, Manning

Amazing grooming again, I am getting quite vocal with my compliments at this point. I don't know what changed but this has been a substantial improvement over last season. We got some snowfall in the morning, and then the sun came out again for us!

Coach meeting involved the usual stuff, I ditched the training since upper body seperation exercises with bands was not easily transferable to alpine snowboarding (or maybe it is?). Due to delayed meetings, confusion, and lacking my program description on our website... I am left without any signups at the moment. We do have snowboard gates coming though, along with all the coach vests, and we're officially registered with BC Snowboard now.

I took up a 2.5 hour private lesson at the end of the day with one student, lots of fun! Went from the rope tow, to the T-bar, to the chairlift in an hour -- linking turns and everything. It ended with a sprained wrist though, so I had to do some paperwork at the end of the day for that. Nothing too concerning, but I'd rather have patrol look at it than shrug off the injury.

@BlueB I'll join you in the rain for training this tuesday!

Day 32, Manning

Brief meeting again with coaches, and then I was off freeriding with my sister trying out some new softboots. Great grooming again, and we got a respectable amount of snowfall today.

Today was the day my body gave out from the 13 day riding streak I had going. My lower back is completely locked up and very sore... not from any injury, it just progressively got worse over the last couple days. Interestingly, my lack of flexibility helped me correct some heel side posture issues since bending over too much was painful! 

Tomorrow is a much needed day off the snow. I am going to make sure my riding is 6 days a week from now on, rather than the 7 I was attempting.

Clips to come!