Note to New Members ×

Lower Mainland Carvers' Diaries, 2022/23

Jarcode

I'll be in that same orientation on Saturday, my on-snow session is on the 27th. I believe that was the earliest date available for regular snow school staff. No riding at Cypress for me until that's done, I believe.

Manning is set to open on the 3rd next month, with weekday operations coming into effect on the 12th. Doesn't seem like postponing is likely there given the steady snowfall, but there's some concern about a warm December.

I'm aiming for a Whistler trip regardless to see a bootfitter later this month.

Day 1 at Cypress, got some early riding in at our own expense. Discovered the death cookies @Cousin of Beagle mentioned, but the rest of the groomed stuff was great carving. We met a FIS snowboard racer from China! He was sporting a full SL race setup: Allflex, Oxess SL Race, .951s... apparently he's studying here, so we might be seeing more of him at Cypress.

My new liners worked out well, better heel hold than I ever had before. Just need to trim some of the padding I added off and break in the liners more. My arches aren't quite used to using footbeds yet.

There's a new bootfitter in Squamish (Joel) that did some phenomenal work on my .951 shells, and carries ZipFits: https://skiuphill.ca/

Appears to be some veteran bootfitter that relocated here with the opening of their new location. They specialize in ski/splitboard touring, but are perfectly capable of dealing with our funny hardboots.

edit: Joel is also a physiotherapist... qualified!

Edited by Jarcode

5 hours ago, charliechocolate said:

I have more days in than most of you yahoos, except maybe Alton. I'm sure you'll all catch up in a month or two but I had to say it while I still can.

Good times in the forecast for Tuesday through the week.

Can't really do much without staff passes. Not really sure what the hold up is with Lion's chair but they are unlikely to hand them out until that's open.

Manning is open on the 3rd. Tons of snow in that direction.

5 hours ago, roch said:

Anybody interested in going up to Cypress tommorow 

It would be a quasi pow day. Relatively lots of new snow, but you'll be still hitting the nasty stuff under, if you decided to poach the closed runs. 

However, Thursday and Friday will be hero carving! 

All the orientation sessions are now rescheduled to this Friday through Sunday. I might end up working multiple days.