Note to New Members ×

F2 World Cup SL 163

Jack M

Bought this 2019 F2 World Cup SL 163 on clearance from @i-carve.com for the director of CVA snowboarding. Took it out yesterday to see how it is. VERY impressed!!  Edge hold, smooth, air between carves, perfect flex, great turn size.  Tight enough to only use half the trail, but not so tight that you're making 1000 turns in a run.  F2 is back on my radar!  Hadn't been on one since SES 05.  A friend who loves F2 tells me they were the ones who made the "Made in Austria" Kesslers.  Based on the top shelf build quality I'd say it certainly seems possible.  Don't worry, this pic is low on the mountain, there's more snow up higher.  But we are off to a bad start here in the east.  Hoping for a big dump tonight.

27092CEE-CFCC-4A4F-95C6-7C6FF4ECF90C.jpeg

576770C8-E687-4396-A0B9-613E7ED18C98.jpeg

• Like 4

Not surprised. There's always a number of racers on them at the NorAm races at Buck. At least in the past few years. Almost exclusively women, so I'm guessing a softer flex compared to other similarly priced stock (off-the-shelf) race boards like SG.

Hope you have fun tomorrow! Looks like a classic nor'easter.

• Like 1

The name Worldcup on the F2 Speedsters is a bit misleading, because they are not ridden in Worldcup. Therefor F2 offers the Proto series, which are actually ridden by the worldcup riders. In comparison Protos (titanal) are their custom boards, Worldcup (titanal) are their higher class and Equipe (TX with carbon or glass) their basic serial production boards.

The fact that F2 is mostly ridden by female pros doesn't mean, that F2 Speedsters are specifically made for woman. In fact women usually ride shorter (157 SL for slalom or 179 RS giant slalom) and man longer models (163 SL and 185 GS) with different flexes for the intended riders. For the Proto series they offer different flexes for the same length.

Comparing the F2 Speedster Worldcup GS 185 (owned one) and the F2 Speedster Proto GS 185 (still own), I found the Proto even better, because it's edge hold and smoothness are superior to the Worldcup. Comparing them to my other boards (Oxess, SG, Coiler) they both are more on the aggressive, more demanding side. But I love the Proto a lot.

Edited by nextcarve
  • Like 2

I have a retired SL Speedster Proto that I picked up from one of the F2 pro riders at a World Cup event at Okemo back in 1995. Back then that board was legit, I sold my Burton's immediately and exclusively rode the F2 for years. Last time I was on a F2 @Jack M was at one of the ECES events at Sugarloaf on Helmut’s 196 F2, that was one stiff board that just wanted to go 0-60 in 2.4 seconds. F2 is probably the only larger mass production builder that is still producing alpine boards right? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeoffV said:

F2 is probably the only larger mass production builder that is still producing alpine boards right? 

I believe so. I guess that says something.  They have none of the cache of boutique builders yet still produce world cup results.  Good for them.

Yeah Barry, very legit.  I wonder how much they "learned" while OEM'ing Kesslers.  I picked up the F2 Proto SL from @Termin8tor.  Took a couple runs today.  Seems a bit smoother, a bit more damp, but still goes airborne between carves.  Great torsional stiffness.  Slightly more turny.  I held them base to base and the waist is the same but the nose and tail of the Proto are a little wider.  Takes up a little less space on the hill but my legs are not cooked.  Really great boards.

5DFB0E89-9FDB-4256-87A3-622D3ECDAB59.jpeg

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

F2 makes great gear, always has, I knew there was doubts about their gear

Best rider that I saw, rides F2 speedster WC 185 without plates, he said its stiffest snowboard in production and guess what, it rides EC on very steep black run, perfect EC full speed, just amazing, other raiders on Kessler, Oxess, Virus etc on plates doesnt come even close with style, speed...so not board for EC, but amazing EC raiding and on very steep black run

On German ebay there are stores that sell F2 gear, one of them is F2 store, you can suggest prices at some stores and if they agree, you can get amazing price, they ship to whole world

A lot of people dont know, normal Eliminator is same shape as SG soul, but with great price

Price/performance always, bling factor, huge price, not for me

Cheers

• Like 2

Hmm...so tempted :eplus2: .....but like I need another board!  :smashfrea

Looking at the website/catalog of their board selection is a little overwhelming.....can some F2 savant  break down the models and the differences between those models?   They all look Hot to me! 🤩

https://www.f2.com/downloads/F2_snow_range_2019_20.pdf

3 hours ago, barryj said:

Hmm...so tempted :eplus2: .....but like I need another board!  :smashfrea

Looking at the website/catalog of their board selection is a little overwhelming.....can some F2 savant  break down the models and the differences between those models?   They all look Hot to me! 🤩

https://www.f2.com/downloads/F2_snow_range_2019_20.pdf

Speedster = race models.

Equipe = entry level, no metal

WC = Titanal

Proto  = Pro team (even stiffer?)

Then:

SL = slalon (153,157,163)

RS = GS (169-185)

Speedster GTS = All round model AFAIK.

On 9/19/2021 at 1:03 AM, Lifeform said:

F2 makes great gear, always has, I knew there was doubts about their gear

Best rider that I saw, rides F2 speedster WC 185 without plates, he said its stiffest snowboard in production and guess what, it rides EC on very steep black run, perfect EC full speed, just amazing, other raiders on Kessler, Oxess, Virus etc on plates doesnt come even close with style, speed...so not board for EC, but amazing EC raiding and on very steep black run

On German ebay there are stores that sell F2 gear, one of them is F2 store, you can suggest prices at some stores and if they agree, you can get amazing price, they ship to whole world

A lot of people dont know, normal Eliminator is same shape as SG soul, but with great price

Price/performance always, bling factor, huge price, not for me

Cheers

Its definitely a rider, not the board!

2 hours ago, b.free said:

Its definitely a rider, not the board!

Of course its the rider, but he bought F2 speedster with a reason, all I wanted to say is F2 makes great gear, and that you dont need most expensive gear, plates,specific board for ... style, 

Cheers

Edited by Lifeform

2 hours ago, TLN said:

Speedster = race models.

WC = Titanal

Then:

RS = GS (169-185)

Proto series is made with same spec's, that were chosen from team rider, so basically you get what is used for races, core is lighter, more expensive wood etc. Eliminator proto isnt titanial,because team rider dont like it, for example ... but spec's can change every year, so check them 

Cheers

2 hours ago, TLN said:

Speedster = race models.

WC = Titanal

Then:

RS = GS (169-185)

The Proto 163 I have is not any stiffer than the WC 163 I also have.  I mentioned some differences above, and of course the Proto has Allflex inserts, the WC does not.

31 minutes ago, Lifeform said:

all I wanted to say is F2 makes great gear, and that you dont need most expensive gear

As far as I can tell the retail price of new F2 boards is right up there with Kessler, SG, etc.  Maybe the situation is different in Europe.

6 hours ago, barryj said:

Hmm...so tempted :eplus2: .....but like I need another board!

Honestly unless you are running an Allflex pattern plate I would recommend the WC.  Without a plate, the Proto turns tighter than the WC.  The WC has a really nice radius for plate-free SL style carving.  But didn't you get a Donek AF plate for use with a Kessler 168?  That is an ice-eating combination right there.  Probably the best I've had... and will probably never have again due to the demise of UPM.  I mean I guess I could get a custom, but...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack M said:

Donek AF plate for use with a Kessler 168?  That is an ice-eating combination right there.

Yeah really happy with that Ice Slayer combo,  just my credit card has an itchy trigger finger right now  in these never ending days of Sept.......

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

F2 is making a great come back in the race circuit.  I have a newer model year of the same F2 SL Jack reviewed. I now have had quite a few says on the board and absolutely love it. The edge hold, flex and radius all reminds me of Kessler like quality. Looks like they have benefited from making the stock Kessler boards for them. 

12 hours ago, TVR said:

So, consensus is they are equivalent to the Kessler now?

Define equivalent.  F2 under Stefan Baumeister are leading the FIS season in GS.  My F2 World Cup 163 and Proto SL leave me wanting for nothing in a SL board.  A new old stock WC 163 has got to be the biggest bang for the buck on the planet for an ice/early-season/short board.  I'll get another when this one wears out.

That said, I do believe Kessler has a magic formula with their clothoid sidecut and camber curves.

• 1 month later...

Very  interesting and useful topic. As I am trying to get back on slopes and had enormous problems I was looking F2s smaller side cut radius. Does anybody know if their numbers are single radius or average compounded  numbers some kind of curve? I think I would preferred  just single radius. I spend about 3 days on new board but had a miserable time, but  of course my condition also play role in it.

3 hours ago, Ladia said:

Very  interesting and useful topic. As I am trying to get back on slopes and had enormous problems I was looking F2s smaller side cut radius. Does anybody know if their numbers are single radius or average compounded  numbers some kind of curve? I think I would preferred  just single radius. I spend about 3 days on new board but had a miserable time, but  of course my condition also play role in it.

Look at the data. Whenever you see a tapered shape (tail width less than nose width) you have a kind of Multi-Radii approach. Most SL-ish design have around 260mm nose, 200mm waist and 240 tail width. Ending up in fall-line oriented racing design. That's true for F2, Kessler, SG, Donek, Oxess, ...

If you are after a more radial shape go for board design that has no taper like the F2 Silberpfeils or the bit wider Vantage version. Tighter sidecuts, no taper, easier to control speed, less angulation needed, more fun carve oriented. Still performing on a high level. Albeit not for racing.

Edited by wulf
typo
  • Like 1