Note to New Members ×

F2 World Cup SL 163

Jack M

2 hours ago, wulf said:

Whenever you see a tapered shape (tail width less than nose width) you have a kind of Multi-Radii approach

Not necessarily.  Single radius boards can have any amount of taper by simply rotating the sidecuts.

That said, I do believe F2 is using some kind of VSR or non-radial curve.

• Like 2

The amount of taper on an alpine board is often just a byproduct of aligning the waist with the setback.  Even a radial sidecut board may have a small amount of taper to move the waist from center back to the setback.  Tapers of 10 to 20 mm, however, are compensating for more than just the setback.  They are a good indicator that the nose has a smaller radius than the tail.  All bets are off with powder shapes though, as they may be going for a pintail shape regardless of setback.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 10:37 AM, Jack M said:

Not necessarily.  Single radius boards can have any amount of taper by simply rotating the sidecuts.

This is true.

BV told me that I could have the taper of my choice in a new design he built for me (the Revelation) with a near radial sidecut. Basically he told me taper aids the release from turns, even with a radial sidecut.

My 175 Donek Rev with an 11-12 progressive sidecut has 2cm of taper! Still one of my favorite boards.

In both cases I left it to the builder/designer to work out the details beyond my choice of waist width and scr.

• 9 months later...

+1 on the new F2 Porto 163 SL

Amazing board.  took one/two run to get familiar with it (For me that's rare).
Given the proper input it does amazingly.  with less optimal input - it save my ass many time.
For me: in SL size - I don't need to look any further.  found my forever board.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 7:15 PM, barryj said:

I would love to try that board.........but wish they did UPM!

Seems like one of the best top 5 mass produced boards out there! 

Barry I know you are tempted to put plates on a lot of your boards. I ride my K68 with the the Apex plate but don't want or need one on the the F2 163 SL WC. The board is so nimble and short that I would not want a plate on it. This board feels and rides very similar to a Kessler. It rails on ice and has become one of my fav boards. I just tested it yesterday at the end of the day on scrapped off icy conditions with some Apex Geckos and I am still trying to figure out if I liked the added weight and how it changed the flex of the board. Either way it held strong on the ice when committed to tipping it on edge. 

• Like 2

Sorely tempted - $540 right now including shipping - but I ride so rarely these days - basically Dec 15-Jan 6 because my job has me in Florida the rest of the winter. My little board is a MADD 158 reissue - is the 163 WC a huge upgrade, would you say?

My big board is a Proteus 180/BBP and that setup isn't going anywhere, but I've recently switched my skis from older Head race stock to newer Supershapes, and there have definitely been some improvements baked into the new sticks, so I wonder if the same applies to boards...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jonny said:

My little board is a MADD 158 reissue - is the 163 WC a huge upgrade, would you say?

Absolutely.  Metal construction, decambered nose, a sensible waist width, 5cm longer, probably 10+cm longer edge contact, go for it.  That old Madd doesn't owe you anything.

5 hours ago, Jack M said:

Absolutely.  Metal construction, decambered nose, a sensible waist width, 5cm longer, probably 10+cm longer edge contact, go for it.  That old Madd doesn't owe you anything.

+1.  Jonny/Mr Shakespearean 🙂 Go for it.  i think it would be easy to unload if you don't like it.

On 1/3/2023 at 3:50 PM, barryj said:

Hmm.....f2 163 WC Speedster,    Where from?   Dollars or Euros??

I-carve.com will have them, that is where Jack and I got ours. Ivan is great. They are so good I have a backup still in the wrapper 😁 I have a MADD as well and it is not even in the same ball park as the F2. 

3 hours ago, barryj said:

Whats the 163 Proto cost?

Why, are you planning on using it with an Allflex mount plate? The Proto has a tighter sidecut to offset the fact that such a plate limits board flex. The WC is the one to get if you’re not going to plate it. 

Phew! That was close! I was all set to send Ivan my money when I realized that the board I was looking at was the Eliminator (BX) not the Speedster slalom board. He has the 22/23 Speedster in stock, also at a very good price (700 euro) but with my season over that's probably not the best use of available cash right now. Ivan was very understanding of course - my own idiocy - there is a WC Titanal 163 in both styles.

• Like 1