Note to New Members ×

2 pole or not to pole, nobody's asking but here's the answer

b0ardski

stumbled onto this today, I feel vindicated; http://splitboard.com/poles-not-just-for-the-skintrack/

couple of my own fav points

"Growing up with the mid 90’s snowboard scene embedded pretty deep inside, my impressions of poles mixed with snowboarding was, you’d have to be a kook to ride with ski poles in your hands.  Over the years and with more and more time in the backcountry, poles have slowly become a fixture in my hands."

"As a snowboard guide there is no going down to my knees or sitting in the snow. This is and has always been a huge pet peeve of mine. In the backcountry or in any big mountain setting..."

"Aaah but resting on them like skiers do, now there is a definite bonus!!! I now have 20% more energy throughout my day!"

'You will start to look at terrain a bit differently as to what line you can take as a snowboarder. If you do find yourself in a pinch or a bit too low, you have the poles to help you slip out or over something that otherwise would of meant hike or a commitment to something you didn’t really want to ride!"

"With poles in my hand I’m constantly feeling the snowpack,,,"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i skied as a teenager and i can envision poles in my hands while snowboarding.  i can envision myself getting the benefit of them. i can also envision hurting myself with them and that is where the idea gets shelved.

have you (b0ardski) ever hurt yourself due to holding poles, while boarding ?

if so, how'd it happen?

I've punched myself in the chest a couple times, but I've done that on skis too. I've run over them with the board a few times causing a fall, no injurys, except to the pole. After decades of use I've learned to keep them out to the sides when riding but still use them like a skier in steeps and moguls.

spacer.pngthat's on a proteus at NICE

spacer.png

that's on a '92 grocer at MCC19

image.png.e46b375c04b29ea82a83726ff87e8167.png

Thirst BX at MCC20

spacer.png173 Identity at WTF

after a stupid fall last year in the offload where I caught the edge as I came to a stop and fell backward and the polestrap on the wrist wrenched my shoulder back; I've since stopped using the wrist straps to prevent injury.

Edited by b0ardski

Those of you that have not seen @b0ardski ride you are missing out.  What he does is simply awesome! His style is unlike anything you can imagine.  When you see the huge smile on his face and the grace that he moves down the hill, you will completely understand what he is all about.  FUN!!

I will try and get some footage of him this year at MCC.

YOU ROCK @b0ardski!!! Keep doing your thing! Looking forward to seeing you this winter!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, slopestar said:

Ive never understood the goggles under the helmet... Those plastic parts must feel great great between the skull and the helmet...

I'm with you! Makes me feel pretty old as I think about how they're sacrificing function for fashion. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Everyone who chooses to ride a carving snowboard sacrifices being fashionable for supreme function.

Speak for yourself - haha! I've always considered softbooters to be the less stylish of the species; what with their inability to skate efficiently due to the low angles, and (for some) having to sit on their asses to strap in, and having to sit on the chair awkwardly since their angles are so low and the board wants to bang into your neighbors equipment ... and then there's that whole unfortunate episode with the whole "the crotch of my snowpants is down by my ankles because somebody told me that's what all the cool kids are doing these days". But fashion and style are rarely the same. PLUS: we've got a strong onesie game going on in this camp!!!

(No offense intended to our softboot carving brothers and sisters!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use poles riding the Mono. I think it would be very difficult without. I also use poles when riding the Skwal or the rare occasion with an Alpine snowboard. Oddly enough, when serious carving on my Virus skis, I find the poles are in the way. I know, weird huh...  That's me, a freak among freaks...

• Like 1

On the original: whatever floats your boat. I used poles, effectively I think, for skiing, but never felt the need of them for snowboarding. I don't think my stance would work with them, if you see what I mean. But whatever works. You would definitely want to work poles in bumps - that's where I think they were most useful on skis (the balance thing is easily achieved without them I think).

Yeah, I used them effectively on a mono, but the stance is symmetrical there.

I do wear my goggles under my helmet - they just seem comfortable there, but again, I'm not about to even notice of other people do it differently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philw said:

I do wear my goggles under my helmet - they just seem comfortable there, but again, I'm not about to even notice of other people do it differently. 

Aren't you worried the buckles might hurt you in a case of impact? 

Back to poles... I never tried them on board or skwal. I use them on mono and wouldn't go without. On skis, I like them for freeriding and racing, but not for deep carving on well groomed runs. 

I can ride a board or skis w/out poles but I miss them, when I come to a stop on the slope or navigating lift lines. I do feel I need them on a mono or skwal, or in the bumps with an alpine board where the extra upper body stability they provide are beneficial.

Did a lot of bump skiing in the 80s, when my snowboard was a toy made of bent plywood and rubber straps skiing steeps was more fun, so pole use is 2nd nature to me.

Edited by b0ardski

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 3:51 PM, queequeg said:

Speak for yourself - haha! I've always considered softbooters to be the less stylish of the species; what with their inability to skate efficiently due to the low angles, and (for some) having to sit on their asses to strap in, and having to sit on the chair awkwardly since their angles are so low and the board wants to bang into your neighbors equipment ... and then there's that whole unfortunate episode with the whole "the crotch of my snowpants is down by my ankles because somebody told me that's what all the cool kids are doing these days". But fashion and style are rarely the same. PLUS: we've got a strong onesie game going on in this camp!!!

(No offense intended to our softboot carving brothers and sisters!)

not all of them

• Like 1