Note to New Members ×

Mountain Slope boots?

dredman

23 minutes ago, Puhutes said:

We will eventually make a step in (not Intec) binding :biggthump

I'm intrigued. Intec is widely available and the system works reasonably well and reliably. What factors have led you to decide to use/develop a different system?

2 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

I remember hearing from racers that one of the things they liked about the old yellow boots was that the flex/stiffness of the plastic was relatively unaffected by changes in temperature compared to other boots. Anyone noticed this with the new version?

My UPZ10's are definitely stiffer in cold temps and softer in warm temps, almost enough to make think about switching springs to suit the weather.

This season has been roller coaster in Santa Fe, NM and I had used boots in spring slush condition (50F), as well as 10F cold days and I did not notice difference in flex due to temperature.

Edited by yamifumi

1 hour ago, SunSurfer said:

I'm intrigued. Intec is widely available and the system works reasonably well and reliably. What factors have led you to decide to use/develop a different system?

They were trying to mimic the old boot as closely as possible.  The old boot isn't Intec compatible.

See pictures here-
https://www.mountain-slope.com/Point-951/

Edited by lonbordin
You aren't sticking an Intec heel on that!

1 hour ago, Puhutes said:

No worries! We will eventually make a step in (not Intec) binding :biggthump

Well, as soon as you do offer a step-in you'll have a TON of buyers including me. USA may be a lot different than Europe but the average age of a hardbooter here is probably close to 60, and latch-ins are for the young! Many of us have learnt to turn the peculiarities of Bomber and Catek bindings to our advantage, so if you offer a heelpiece which will fit other platforms than your own that would be a plus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puhutes said:

No worries! We will eventually make a step in (not Intec) binding :biggthump

That would be fantastic! Hopefully whatever you come up with will not only offer the convenience, but also the additional lateral stiffness that stepins offer.

If it wasn't for the additional lateral stiffness of the intec system I would probably have switched back to bails ages ago. The intec system could do with much improvement in terms of not being able to step in due to snow/ice on your heels (or worse still: thinking you are fully locked in when you are not because of snow on your heels). Intec works great when it is cold, but when the snow is a little wet, its a disaster.

So I'm hoping for a range of cant disc angles, rotating base plate on top of that, then adjustable distance heel and toe pieces with 6mm bails, topped off with a toe piece like the old Fritschi F41 step ins. What else do we want?

Edit after photos added: Even the colour scheme matches!

Fritschi closed.JPG

Fritschi open.JPG

Fritschi toepiece detail.JPG

Edited by SunSurfer
Add photos, from the pair I own. Original bails are 5mm.

22 hours ago, daveo said:

Intec :)

Convenient, reliable, safe and readily available!

a deep delusion!
The more connecting elements, the less reliability
The history of this site is to remember litigation related to the broken heel intec. As a result, there was an iron one.

convenience is illusory!
a drop-off cable is often proof of that!
the illusion of an audible click on the engagement - does not always guarantee its engagement! And the leg flies at the most unpleasant moment! And it's good if then no one breaks.

among other things, it's becoming more expensive stuff. There is a need to purchase additional items.

Edited by Tramp

On 3/7/2018 at 3:15 PM, Puhutes said:

You'll have to wait and see :biggthump

I hope it does not mean we have to replace all the bindings that are standard Intec that a lot of us use with a new binding if we want to use the Mtn Slope Intec/type boot. 

5 minutes ago, GeoffV said:

I hope it does not mean we have to replace all the bindings that are standard Intec that a lot of us use with a new binding if we want to use the Mtn Slope Intec/type boot. 

Hopefully we'll just have to replace the heel receiver.

36 minutes ago, GeoffV said:

I think you'll just have to replace the rear bail and the heel.

12 minutes ago, GeoffV said:

That's the hope I guess that it is heel and receivers only. I like hearing that the fit is similar to the UPZ RC-10. 

It looks like these boots have a one-piece sole and it's quite thin... I don't see a way they'll be able to put a mechanism in that thickness.  My money is on binding replacement.

I don't know how they are going to put step-in solution without making a new mold for lower shell.

The rubber sole do not have any screw like UPZ or Deeluxe to replace the heel or toe. It would be interesting to see what they come up with! BTW, not my boot nor my picture, found it online

Edited by yamifumi

14 minutes ago, ursle said:

UPZ sells the Snowpro FAST system, step-in.

As Mt Slope says it won't be intec, might it be the Snopro system, my question is, do Snowpro bindings come with lifts and cant's or are they ridden flat (a deal breaker)

http://upzboots.com/shop/snowpro-step-in-fast-race-small/#

Fast system still requires add on heels. I don't see the space to do it without retooling the lower mold. 

To answer your Snowpro question, they work on same shim principle as F2. The only difference is they start with inward cant built in, which you cancel with wedges if wanted, then add more for toe/heel lifts. 

.951 like the new Coke missed the point. When development doesn't go far enough to include the obvious piss off the diehards and it's an uphill battle. Accommodate what was already a very acceptable device and design it into your new boot. The last thing the world needs is a different pin configuration on a cell phone adapter yet they continually make them ! Since the hype is now fully behind the .951 why would they admit a slight miscalculation and capitulate on the short comings of their heel and toe design ? Pull a Trumpism  and  trash talk the predecessor and continue with the hype !