Note to New Members ×

Mountain Slope boots?

dredman

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:21 AM, Jack Michaud said:

The gray tongues were the solution

I have a set of greys like new...wonder what they get on Sothebys?   You be the man...they are like steel plate... its all what ya like eh...

Edited by Shred Gruumer

4 hours ago, slapos said:

I switched from UPZ RCR to MS951 - regular one, not world cup.

I changed the liner in MS951 to my UPZ foam liner, that just fitted great.

I have a C shell while in UPZ I had 312mm shell. C shell is smaller, so I had to crank down my bindings (F2s Ti M size), which is always a plus, as it is much easier to center the boots now. 

The biggest difference for me vs UPZ was how they hold my foot. 

Different binding point and cables makes me feel like someone is holding my heel in place. in UPZ I always felt like someone was holding just the front of the foot - I know this sounds strange, but I guess you can only understand if you rode in both. 

I keep the shells of RC10 just in case, but I really dont think I will be going back. 951 seem really well built and sturdy, while my UPZ tend to catch a lot of dirt and scratch, but maybe its the matte finish on 951. 

Customer service and help from HR and Jennifer is awesome too - you dont get that out of mr Aigner.

Hm, your description makes sense to me,and it might even eliminate the last problem I have with my UPZs, the fact that I have a high instep and arch/high volume feet. How do they do on this area? Anyone else with high in steps using these boots? 

The UPZs have been the best fitting boot I have tried but like others have said I just got them dialed in too and don't want to drop more money into new boots quite yet. 

2 hours ago, slapos said:

When you put in WC tongues and yellow springs I think they are very close

So the softest variation of the .951 is close to the stiffest version (with RCR cuffs and WC tongues) of the UPZ? Those are some stiff boots!  

I should try the grey/silver tongues that I got with my boots just to see what they're like.  I think I prefer soft boots but maybe I don't know what I'm missing.  

37 minutes ago, Corey said:

So the softest variation of the .951 is close to the stiffest version (with RCR cuffs and WC tongues) of the UPZ? Those are some stiff boots!  

I should try the grey/silver tongues that I got with my boots just to see what they're like.  I think I prefer soft boots but maybe I don't know what I'm missing.  

I don't think that's right.  Someone else said the soft .951s were similar to UPZs with stock black tongues.

As for your tongues, I posted some thoughts on the silver (stiffer) and gray (stiffest) tongues earlier.  I'm running the gray tongues, I highly doubt they make the boot only a 100 flex.  120 seems right.

It's so funny to read all this love for very stiff hard boots, while ski boots used to get all the bad rep for carving, over the years... As it turnes out, my ski boots are way softer then 120, even 100, numbers thrown around here. As the matter of fact, our TEC chairman said, other day, that I probably have more flex in my walk mode, then his soft boots!?! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Corey said:

ok lets set this straight:

Stock 951 comes in shell stiffness 100, which according to their website is the same as NW .950.

So:

Shell stiffness -100

Tongue stiffness - 100

Springs - out of the box you get two sets - blue(soft) and red medium.

Initially I rode with red springs with stock tongues - which are about the same as UPZ rc10 with black tongues.

Now, I purchased off Mountain Slope, stiffer WC tongues (120 stiffness) and yellow springs, which are the stiffest - that setup is very close to RCR, yet imho works better, due to construction of the shell

I also get a much more direct feeling then with UPZ.

short edit from taking out the Goltes 180 Racecarve first time this season, with MS boots 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRQwgM3ns38

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlueB said:

It's so funny to read all this love for very stiff hard boots

It is. I am quite glad that from what I read, even the softer iteration of the .951 sounds to be far stiffer than I would like, so I am not at all tempted.

That said, I think the stiffness index could use some work. Even my cheapo 80 stiffness ski boots are stiffer than the stiff-as-hell (for SB boots) orange Indys were.

9 hours ago, BlueB said:

It's so funny to read all this love for very stiff hard boots, while ski boots used to get all the bad rep for carving, over the years... As it turnes out, my ski boots are way softer then 120, even 100, numbers thrown around here. As the matter of fact, our TEC chairman said, other day, that I probably have more flex in my walk mode, then his soft boots!?! 

Aye well, it depends what/ where/ how you ride I suppose. They have a separate ghetto for "all mountain" here for a reason ;-)

one more big difference between UPZ and 951 that I can see (considering that you are using stock upz spring mechanism)

Stiffness in UPZ largely comes out of the tongue stiffness, with spring mechanism being somewhat limited in movement, while in 951 the stiffness rather comes out of the spring system

@FrankNBeans

mountain slope realizes that the liner they got now is now what it should be. I heard also from them that they are almost ready with new liner which will be much better.

I personally put in my old foam upz liners and they work very well.

1 hour ago, FrankNBeans said:

A while back, I call All Board Sports to get a price on the .951s. The guy that I spoke with said $1200?!  I asked him if they come with a quality liner, he said that most people replace the stock liners with something they like more. I have read on here that people dislike ABS and I am sure if people know the Super-Secret-Hush-Hush handshake, .951 can be obtained for less(not that much less) but...$1200 and $200-$450 for different liners??? That's a pretty steep buy-in for boots.

The super secret, hush, hush, hand shake is just like with Virus Snowboards, Email Mt Slope yourself, bur direct, get exactly what you want.

Virus...Email Frank, order exactly what you want, save 30-40% and be happy.

The shell is one component of the boot, the liner is more important, custom orthotics and a custom foamed liner, like conformable make the difference, last years, well, they outlast two or three shells.

13 hours ago, BlueB said:

You do realize this is a thread about boots designed for World Cup racing, right?

Also, I don't think 120 flex snowboard boots can be compared to 120 ski boots.  I had a pair of 120 Salomon ski boots (these).  They weren't just "too stiff", I couldn't even ride in them.  Now I am in UPZ with the stiffest tongue which they call 160 flex (!!).  Maybe combined with the rest of the boot it averages out to 120, but I'm loving this setup.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

I don't think that's right.  Someone else said the soft .951s were similar to UPZs with stock black tongues.

As for your tongues, I posted some thoughts on the silver (stiffer) and gray (stiffest) tongues earlier.  I'm running the gray tongues, I highly doubt they make the boot only a 100 flex.  120 seems right.

I said that..... soft .951 is similar to UPZ RC10 with black tongue. I am running red springs (came with blue and red, red is stiffer). Granted, I have not tried WC  ersion of .951 nor stiffer tongue, springs than red prings. I am curious to get stiffer tongue and springs!

Like @slapos said, changing springs makes a difference in how they flex more than UPZ. I had DGSS system for UPZ.

Edited by yamifumi
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, slapos said:

Now, I purchased off Mountain Slope, stiffer WC tongues (120 stiffness) and yellow springs, which are the stiffest - that setup is very close to RCR, yet imho works better, due to construction of the shell

@Puhutes, if you buy the standard 100 flex boots and add the WC 120 flex tongues and yellow springs, is that the same as buying the WC boot?  Or is the whole WC shell stiffer?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

@Puhutes, if you buy the standard 100 flex boots and add the WC 120 flex tongues and yellow springs, is that the same as buying the WC boot?  Or is the whole WC shell stiffer?

Hey guys! Very interesting thread to read. Thanks for the interest in our boots.

The standard boot is Grilamid and has 100 stiffness tongue and 100 stiffness shell. The World Cup version is also Grilamid but 120 stiffness tongue and 120 stiffness shell. We originally thought the ladies would prefer the 100 stiffness, but to our surprise, they also prefered the 120 stiffness World Cup version.

Spring stiffness is: softest green, blue, red, yellow hardest... For Standard you get blue(in box)/red long and for World Cup you get red/yellow(in box)

Hopefully this helps.

Greetings Jennifer

• Thanks 1

I remember hearing from racers that one of the things they liked about the old yellow boots was that the flex/stiffness of the plastic was relatively unaffected by changes in temperature compared to other boots. Anyone noticed this with the new version?

My UPZ10's are definitely stiffer in cold temps and softer in warm temps, almost enough to make think about switching springs to suit the weather.

Edited by bigwavedave

19 minutes ago, Puhutes said:

Hey guys! Very interesting thread to read. Thanks for the interest in our boots.

The standard boot is Grilamid and has 100 stiffness tongue and 100 stiffness shell. The World Cup version is also Grilamid but 120 stiffness tongue and 120 stiffness shell. We originally thought the ladies would prefer the 100 stiffness, but to our surprise, they also prefered the 120 stiffness World Cup version.

Spring stiffness is: softest green, blue, red, yellow hardest... For Standard you get blue(in box)/red long and for World Cup you get red/yellow(in box)

Hopefully this helps.

Greetings Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer.  I would order a pair of boots today if they were Intec compatible!  I'm addicted to step-ins! :ices_ange

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigwavedave said:

I remember hearing from racers that one of the things they liked about the old yellow boots was that the flex/stiffness of the plastic was relatively unaffected by changes in temperature compared to other boots. Anyone noticed this with the new version?

My UPZ10's are definitely stiffer in cold temps and softer in warm temps, almost enough to make think about switching springs to suit the weather.

This is correct. The newer version of Grilamid is even less effected by temperature changes than the older boots.