Note to New Members ×

Mountain Slope boots?

dredman

2 hours ago, dredman said:

https://www.mountain-slope.com/

I know this is not the boot thread, but has anyone used these for freecarving?

Which model?

Any reviews not speculation?

Thanks!

I bought it fall of 2017 and have been using the boot for about 20+ days now. I have the normal .951 (not the world cup but softer one). I didnt like the liner and the strap it came with so I got intuition liner and booster strap for it. 

I have been really happy with it as it is very easy to adjut the forward lean with just 4mm hex (very convenient for me as my binding uses all 4mm hex too and I can juat carry L-shape 4mm hex key in my pocket) and cant is easy to change (similar to UPZ). The shell design is similar to deeluxe 325 (3 piece design?) and I personally like that design. Also it has higher boot cuff than UPZ which I like as I can put more pressure on it.

Although i have not tried world cup version (i thought it maybe too stiff for freecarving), I have been happy with the flex and very comparable to UPZ RC10 w/ black tongue that I had before. I have B shell and it did not quite fit well to bomber td3 sw and center it like how i want it to set up (either toe bail was too tight and felt like it was gonna break the boot or loose). I use the boot with SG binding (Similar to F2 binding which has more fine adjustment on toe and heel bail). 

So far I had zero issues and if it is like the one from 90’s then it should last 20 years??

AE80CD9B-57F4-416E-81A8-1FCFFE4F4052.jpeg

673AB251-DD25-40AF-AC8F-950E6462C7B9.jpeg

E8A22068-545B-4466-B770-E00AB5C4D836.jpeg

Edited by yamifumi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't have them but a guy I ride with uses them and LOVES them. He has the stiff pair and weighs around 100kg and rides an SG Full Carve 180 with SG hard plate and F2 bindings as his daily.

I'm seriously considering a pair but with my UPZ fitting perfectly and with a couple of new buckles to stop rubbing, rcr cuffs, palau liners, rear intec heel ... it's a tough pill to swallow. Kind of wish I still had my ill fitting Deeluxes so I have an excuse to swap...

13 minutes ago, daveo said:

I'm seriously considering a pair but with my UPZ fitting perfectly and with a couple of new buckles to stop rubbing, rcr cuffs, palau liners, rear intec heel ... it's a tough pill to swallow. Kind of wish I still had my ill fitting Deeluxes so I have an excuse to swap...

Do it.

You only live twice, or so it seems: Once for yourself; and once for your dreams.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yamifumi said:

I bought it fall of 2017 and have been using the boot for about 20+ days now.

Have you ridden UPZs and DeeLuxes?  How would you compare it width wise in the forefoot?  Volume wise in the rest of the shell?

Edited by lonbordin
the doc said I only live twice...

18 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

Have you ridden UPZs and DeeLuxes?  How would you compare it width wise in the forefoot?  Volume wise in the rest of the shell?

I had Deeluxe Indy, then UPZ RC-10 and now I have point 951.

Point 951 has  good heel hold like UPZ RC-10 (I didn't like Deeluxe because I had heel lift issue), forefoot is like UPZ RC-10 and it is snug. I had boot fitter slightly punch out a spot and mold the Intuition liner. The boot cuff is higher than UPZ. 

For me, point 951 is the best boot I had own out of Deeluxe and UPZ (it may be because I completely customized the boot......) and also adjusting lean is VERY SIMPLE and just need 4mm hex. 

Edited by yamifumi
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2018 at 5:39 PM, dredman said:

I know this is not the boot thread, but has anyone used these for freecarving?

Really?  talk about going back in time.....   The new UPZ with the new tongue design  are awesome  and no prehistoric buckles and ski boot shell like 951 or head or blax....just sayin 

On 3/3/2018 at 9:57 PM, daveo said:

I'm in the same boat.  Would love to try the .951 but I have my UPZs dialed (Intuition liners, custom footbeds, punched, dark gray stiffest tongue), and, I love step-ins.

9 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

prehistoric buckles and ski boot shell like 951

Hmm, I think the .951 looks beautiful, and not at all like ski boots.

Edited by Jack Michaud

2 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Really?  talk about going back in time.....   The new UPZ with the new tongue design  are awesome  and no prehistoric buckles and ski boot shell like 951 or head or blax....just sayin 

That was exact my thought at first but there has to be a reason why so many people keep them for long time and still use them daily......

It also depends on personal preference too, I just happen to like it when comparing to my old boots (rc-10, indy, and also burton reactor which I competely forgot). 

Edited by yamifumi

47 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

I'm in the same boat.  Would love to try the .951 but I have my UPZs dialed (Intuition liners, dark gray stiffest tongue), and, I love step-ins.

What are your thoughts on the stiffest tongues? I've been tempted to try them... 

On 3/3/2018 at 7:57 PM, daveo said:

I was happy with RC10 but the chance of being able to buy the boot I wanted since I started hardbooting won me over. I did customize point 951 (custom foot beds, intuition liner, booster strap) to fit the best and I have been very happy with it! 

1 minute ago, yamifumi said:

I was happy with RC10 but the chance of being able to buy the boot I wanted since I started hardbooting won me over. I did customize point 951 (custom foot beds, intuition liner, booster strap) to fit the best and I have been very happy with it! 

Can I ask you about your foot shape? I have a particularly low volume foot in addition a narrow heel, medium toe box. Any chance you know the difference in shape/volume of the 951 compared to the RC10?

I had to get my Deeluxe punched in the toe but not for the UPZ and the heel hold is great on my RC10 with Palau liners. 

Just now, daveo said:

Can I ask you about your foot shape? I have a particularly low volume foot in addition a narrow heel, medium toe box. Any chance you know the difference in shape/volume of the 951 compared to the RC10?

I had to get my Deeluxe punched in the toe but not for the UPZ and the heel hold is great on my RC10 with Palau liners. 

I hated deeluxe because of heel lift. I liked upz because it had great heel hold for me. I have narrow heel like you. I didnt get any boot punched out before point 951 but I remeber previous boot being very snug that probably needed punching out. I feel that point 951 shell bolume mimic well to RC 10 in most locations.

Right. Thanks for that. Seems like they would fit my foot if they cater for small heels / low volume feet. 

The higher cuff is what attracts me to the 951, in particular. 

I've got the rcr cuff on my RC10 for next season along with the ratchety shoxxter strappy thing, which makes it higher. But might move that to my diver x and get the g style top strap (the best in the biz imo) for my RC10.

Hmmmm options and first world problems. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, daveo said:

What are your thoughts on the stiffest tongues? I've been tempted to try them... 

I'm 190 lbs, 5'11".  The stock black tongues were a non-starter.  The silver tongues were an improvement, and I rode them all season last year.  However they were still a little soft and I could over-flex them during chatter or impact.  This did something not good to my rear ankle, I still get a twinge in it if I bend it a certain way.  The gray tongues were the solution.  When I first put them on at the beginning of this season I was kind of like "oh jeez, what have I done?", but after the first few turns I knew they were the right tool for the job.  I've had a great season on them this year, I'll be getting rid of the other tongues.  This would put me in the 120 flex .951, especially since someone else said the softer version is like the stock UPZ with black tongue.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

This would put me in the 120 flex .951, especially since someone else said the softer version is like the stock UPZ with black tongue.

I do weigh 160lbs and felt that black tongue on UPZ was sufficient but at times, i did feel it was flexing it pretty good. For .951, I feel like having higher cuff makes it different (more support expecialy at rear foot) and controlled well with spring system which is easy to exchange in 5 minutes (comes with 2 different spring for forward lean, i am you can exchange that to stiffer spring easily from spring manufacure). 

If I remeber correctly, “world cup” version is 120 flex and my normal version is 100 flex. For me, 100 is good.

39 minutes ago, daveo said:

Interesting. I've sprained my rear ankle twice in my RC10 going over some extreme bumpy terrain. I wonder if I'm suffering from the same thing... I hadn't even considered that.

Now you mention it, I had that heappen to me couple times  with RC 10 and never thought to try gray tongue.......

8 minutes ago, yamifumi said:

Now you mention it, I had that heappen to me couple times  with RC 10 and never thought to try gray tongue.......

Do you have your RC10s handy by any chance? Was wondering if you could measure from inside the shell at the heel to the top of the cuff and perhaps compare it to the .951?

1 hour ago, daveo said:

Do you have your RC10s handy by any chance? Was wondering if you could measure from inside the shell at the heel to the top of the cuff and perhaps compare it to the .951?

I dont have the upz in hand but I can measure the .951 and it was ~30cm from the bottom of the inside shell to the top of the cuff. It does already comes with “spoiler” that UPZ sells separately. Without “spoiler”, the height is ~27.2cm. I attached some pics, hope that helps. I wear B shell (26-26.5)

1FB20289-D9CF-4C30-9B84-300A880B62A4.jpeg

46F4E6A7-353B-4403-A0A8-FCA1A930AB06.jpeg

1C3F2D8F-5A27-4B6C-8D55-6CC736FC28A5.jpeg

Edited by yamifumi

I switched from UPZ RCR to MS951 - regular one, not world cup.

I changed the liner in MS951 to my UPZ foam liner, that just fitted great.

I have a C shell while in UPZ I had 312mm shell. C shell is smaller, so I had to crank down my bindings (F2s Ti M size), which is always a plus, as it is much easier to center the boots now. 

The biggest difference for me vs UPZ was how they hold my foot. 

Different binding point and cables makes me feel like someone is holding my heel in place. in UPZ I always felt like someone was holding just the front of the foot - I know this sounds strange, but I guess you can only understand if you rode in both. 

I keep the shells of RC10 just in case, but I really dont think I will be going back. 951 seem really well built and sturdy, while my UPZ tend to catch a lot of dirt and scratch, but maybe its the matte finish on 951. 

Customer service and help from HR and Jennifer is awesome too - you dont get that out of mr Aigner.

23 hours ago, yamifumi said:

I dont have the upz in hand but I can measure the .951 and it was ~30cm from the bottom of the inside shell to the top of the cuff. It does already comes with “spoiler” that UPZ sells separately. Without “spoiler”, the height is ~27.2cm. I attached some pics, hope that helps. I wear B shell (26-26.5)

1FB20289-D9CF-4C30-9B84-300A880B62A4.jpeg

46F4E6A7-353B-4403-A0A8-FCA1A930AB06.jpeg

1C3F2D8F-5A27-4B6C-8D55-6CC736FC28A5.jpeg

Great, thanks for that, appreciate your help!