Note to New Members ×

How you guys feeling about new soft boot carving phenomenon?

slopetool

3 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

This is the key point.

That’s another level of vetting altogether, when we’re talking about a site where anyone can sign up. 

I guess that’s the benefit of someone like Ryan posting videos. You can watch it and if you think it’s what you’re after, then you can follow it. If you think it sucks, you can troll for Halibut. 

24 minutes ago, Rob Stevens said:

That’s another level of vetting altogether, when we’re talking about a site where anyone can sign up. 

I guess that’s the benefit of someone like Ryan posting videos. You can watch it and if you think it’s what you’re after, then you can follow it. If you think it sucks, you can troll for Halibut. 

Yes, and that's why Ryan was never hassled here. The proof was in the pudding. He rips and his videos prove it. The problem is, he is rare. I mean there are still people pushing three strap bindings here! And others agreeing with them!

4 hours ago, lonbordin said:

To get back to OP's original question, "How you guys feeling about new soft boot carving phenomenon?"...

I think it's great and it's growing.  Heck, F2 has the whole thing covered in their latest catalog, down to the socks (see below).  When an old and slow moving company like F2 is moving into the space you know there has to be some popularity backing that decision.

I don't care really what people ride or exactly the style one rides... I care that your on the edge, finding flow, and giving the stoke away... :biggthump

Mahalo.

image.thumb.png.c3e510059ef042a0aa8c6e41ccbbc598.png

The chassis of the f2 bindings on the right look alot like my SP fastec bindings.... From how most seem to praise flows these are a similar concept but I don't think the connection between the chassis and the heel cup is as solid. I largely stopped using them due to the chassis flexing in terms of side to side movent really bad plus the ratchets were pretty terrible and broke easily

IMG_20180227_224613057.jpg

Just now, trailertrash said:

Yes, and that's why Ryan was never hassled here. The proof was in the pudding. He rips and his videos prove it. The problem is, he is rare. I mean there are still people pushing three strap bindings here! And others agreeing with them!

Doesn't Ryan ride with 3-strap bindings?  

Why must we draw lines so finely to divide a niche sport within a niche sport?  I just don't get why people have to hate 'them'.  You know, 'them'; those people that do things differently than we do?  

1 minute ago, Corey said:

Doesn't Ryan ride with 3-strap bindings?  

Why must we draw lines so finely to divide a niche sport within a niche sport?  I just don't get why people have to hate 'them'.  You know, 'them'; those people that do things differently than we do?  

It's not an us vs them thing even though you keep trying to make it one. It's pushing poor technique as solid technique that is the issue.

14 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

It's not an us vs them thing even though you keep trying to make it one. It's pushing poor technique as solid technique that is the issue.

You say Ryan rips. Solomon says his tech is far from ripping.

You agree with each other on all points though.

Again, nobody need think anything about anything, other than the OP. If he thinks RK’s vid helps him (and for what it’s worth, I do) then that’s all that matters. 

Truthfully, Solomon makes some really valid points that I believe strongly. I also think you need to reel yourself in when it comes to SHITTING on others styles. If you can give real alternatives, or make a case for why something shouldn’t be learned, then you’ll probably get some traction. 

Edited by Rob Stevens

59 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

What is so wrong with the 3rd strap? If one wants and enjoys to ride that way, let them be... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlueB said:

What is so wrong with the 3rd strap? If one wants and enjoys to ride that way, let them be... 

I think part of TT's issue is that people have different levels of interest in carving here, yet when someone asks a specific hardboot technique question, people from any level of interest will chime in. Some will say, don't forget you can do this in softboots too!  And well no, that's not always true, and saying so isn't helpful.

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

I think part of TT's issue is that people have different levels of interest in carving here, yet when someone asks a specific hardboot technique question, people from any level of interest will chime in. Some will say, don't forget you can do this in softboots too!  And well no, that's not always true, and saying so isn't helpful.

That is true no matter where you go on the ol' interwebz. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trailertrash said:

It's pushing poor technique as solid technique that is the issue.

Which begs the question, who decides which is which; what is the criteria, and beyond a sense of propriety, does it really  matter?

Too many enthusiasts, athletes, curmudgeons, etc, will never know what's over the horizon. Figure out how to draw that simple line in the snow, mechanics be damned, and that's where the journey ends. There's so much entrancing nuance and subtlety to the simple act of gliding over snow, yet it's the loud and extreme that grabs the eye and demands attention.  

There's enough specious beta out there to swamp a Panamax, and yet if you point it out,  the spears of the tribe swing your way.

Quite a few good points in this thread. Too bad the dissonance can't be addressed productively, rather than becoming another auto-immune disease further weakening the carving community.

• Like 2

Soft boots or hardboots, you're either on the edge and carving or you're skidding. The one central theme to this website is carving no matter how or on what equipment it's done, AND I believe I can narrow "carving" down further to freecarving to the exclusion of racecarving, no disrespect intended.

25 minutes ago, daveo said:

What's the difference between racecarving and freecarving? Excuse my ignorance

Lots of skidding in racecarving as evidenced in watching the Parallel Slalom (giant slalom?) in the Olympics.  I feel freecarving is defined by uninterrupted linked, carved turns exclusive of skidding. But what the heck do I know?

With all due respect to anyone that Races, It is not Carving... 50% of the time, the Edge is not engaged or touching the ground typically...slow down any WC PGS video and take a look...as for Carving having to be done on a Steep slope to be "Real", what ? Why? because that's what YOU like? Alpine Snowboarding was Inclusive until, some Racers grabbed the term to mean only for them ! ...and then there was the Alpine Snowboarding Wikipedia event, posted by some here to be the "Purest Carve"...Ostracized as a Surfer, Ostracized as a Skateboarder and Ostracized Here by a few,  If any of you have over 60 years of learning the Motion, which is  simply leaning either Left or Right, on 3 different pieces of equipment Let Me Know... as for 3 straps as opposed to HB, not Once here have I said anyone here should change their equipment or that mine is Better than theirs, I have simply tried to defend my preference and helped a few who asked me how to get some.  Tracks do not Lie, I know that for sure, having seen all the HB at All the Sessions and other places and the Tracks are exactly the same. Carving is a Joy and that is All the matters!  Fin knows this, and he started this Forum...so If Alpine is Just Racing, you need to eliminate the Term Carving from it...

• Like 2

These last few posts are effing ridiculous. 

29 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

With all due respect to anyone that Races, It is not Carving... 50% of the time, the Edge is not engaged or touching the ground typically...slow down any WC PGS video and take a look...as for Carving having to be done on a Steep slope to be "Real", what ? Why? because that's what YOU like? 

So you assert that racing is not carving, then defend your definition of carving against someone else stating that carving should only be done a certain way. You're contradicting yourself within the same sentence. 

And what racers "grabbed the term" for alpine snowboarding? When did this hostile takeover occur?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

With all due respect to anyone that Races, It is not Carving... [...]  learning the Motion, which is  simply leaning either Left or Right, [...] so If Alpine is Just Racing, you need to eliminate the Term Carving from it...

A ton of carving happening in that video.  In the Venn diagram of alpine snowboarding technique, the circle of race technique completely envelopes the freecarving circle.

"Simply leaning left or right" is The Norm, an introductory practice drill for day 1 beginner carving on green circles.  If one wants to take their game up onto the black diamonds, there's a lot more to it, and studying race technique is the best way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, softbootsurfer said:

as for Carving having to be done on a Steep slope to be "Real", what ? Why? because that's what YOU like?

Of course it doesn't have to be done there, but that is where the challenge lies.  Lots of people enjoy a good challenge.  You use snowboarding as meditation, and that's great.  But people who challenge themselves with an activity have a broader and deeper understanding of that activity than people who don't, and are in a better position to help others who wish to overcome obstacles and challenge themselves.

Edited by Jack Michaud
  • Like 2

Whether you like their style or not, top racers are at the pinnacle of carving ability. They can hold an edge at higher speed, in icier conditions and on steeper slopes than any of the rest of us.

The courses are set to make it difficult for them, so we can distinguish between highly skilled riders.  Their skill set is far broader than making C carves down a hero groom blue. 

One can learn a lot about what a carve board can do by watching the racers run through the course. 

Edited by Buell
  • Like 2