Note to New Members ×

How you guys feeling about new soft boot carving phenomenon?

slopetool

Been watching a bunch of the Rama videos and noticed that he's got a pretty versatile bag of butter tricks for a forward stance like that. In this video right below he even does some jumps and jibs too. Not exactly the high speed long distance Ryan Knapton butters but still pretty cool stuff. I really like the way switch tricks and tail presses look too with forward stances. 

Here's some more examples of butter tricks in his channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3pAET6r_Jc&t=20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pua6t8nByzQ

Another thing i noticed is that if you translate the comment sections, he mentions his stance/angles in a few of the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSTfFxK3gb0&t=1s (60cm, 36f/27r)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v72DvZ7FFWU (33f/27r)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=EwInSHpR40U (33/33)

60 cm (23.6")? Isn't that pretty wide for the type of angles he's running? Unless this guy is just really really tall. His feet do look like they're just really far apart though.

Does anyone else here go that wide on a forward stance?

I noticed awhile ago that Rama ran a wide stance i'm guess its maybe a stability and leverage thing over the board. I run the same 55cm/21.6" stance where if im riding 18/18 duck, 24/3 mild duck or  33/12 forward, I must say as i bring the stance from true duck through to forward angles it does feel like my stance is shortening up even though the width stays the same

• 1 month later...

I don’t know if this is what you’re looking for, but I’ve been thinking about a Karakoram binding. They’re pricey, but high tech. I connected with the guys at the Powder Company at the base of , Annupuri  Niseko for a guided mountain carving/powder tour. I saw a Karakoram binding there. I use the Union Atlas on my Gentemstick HP Fish and Jones Hovercraft. I found universal straps from Tognar,  to bind the top of your boot to the high back, but haven’t tried them on the on the Atlas.  

https://www.splitboardbindings.com/shop/karakoram-quiver-shop-17/

Finally... I was able to ride the Endeavor Hammerhead board and compare it with Donek Flux,

IMG_7910.thumb.JPG.dc8b220a387ee9cf4bd5e9712b036f61.JPG

• Waist Width: 25.2 cm
  • Length: 163 cm
  • Effective Edge: 138 cm
  • Sidecut: 8-9-10 m

• Bindings: Flow NX2
  • Boots:  Burton Driver X 10.5
  • Binding Angle:  27F / 12R

• Condition:  1. 2-3" Packed Powder, pushed around, choppy snow on top of typical Mid Atlantic rock hard ice.  Then turn in to wet bumpy after sleet and rain.  Some of steeper sections and skidded area showed underneath ice.
  • Trails:  Wide blue square.
  • Rider: 180 lbs

Edge transition was fast and edge grip was very good.  The hammerhead shape allowed to engage edge early on.  It cut through all the bumps and turned nicely.  My usual habit of fore pressing wasn't needed. If I did (like Madd), it bite and hooked tight. Gentle quick press of toe/heel of front foot was enough. The hold was nicely moved down w/o chatters. If I tighten it up by squeezing legs inward, again, it hooked very tight.  Flat riding ollie was good and had nice rebound. Buttering was exceptional for any carving specific snowboard.  When I rode it aggressively and angulated a lot. it didn't chatter but noticed little wabbled(?) on nose at high speed.  It was more noticeable when the snow got wet and heavy. 

Then, I rode Donek Flux 168 (thanks to matthew) right after. it was a much stiffer deck than Endeavor.  It cut through the same condition that Endeavor rode over.  I don't know think if it has titanal layers but sure like it had. It had less rebound and playfulness than Endeavor.  Edge hold was pretty much same.  Sidecut of the Flux was 10-12m and turns very true to the sidecut radius.  I felt that it ride like a big mountain board but able to turns on demand.  Very well built that handled cruise and aggressive ridings very well.  I felt that little softer flex would be ideal for my weight on short and steep hills of Mid Atlantics.  

In conclusion, the Endeavor's carve-ability were were great.  With its seamless edges, partial titanal, and relatively long effective edge give stable and smooth ride . Its softer nose and flex makes the board very playful. At the same time, its softer nose rides over some hard bumps instead of cutting thru. It would be very versatile and fun carving specific freeride board for rider's weight less than me. 

My thoughts on carving friendly softboot snowboards.  I think this type/construction would be very good as a transition board. I see many snowboarders wants to carve but most current available decks in the market are not made for carving.   Endeavor hammerhead's long effective edge with camber, soft flex that is able to bend and turn by their usual ankle initiation, the construction that gives stable ride, and most importantly, softer nose/tail to allow riders to play.  I think they nailed it for softbooters who want to carve.  For me (in perspective of hardbooters), I would like to have tad stiffer in mid section and maybe 8-10-9 sidecut would be better. But I would recommend this board or softer flex of Donex Flux to anyone who wants to carve in softboots.  For Flux, I wouldn't change anything if I ride on big mountain. But wants little softer flex on my neck of wood. (not shorter, just tad softer).

Matthew also tested the Endeavor. I hope he give in his riding review of the above boards.

Side note - As snow are bumpier and chopped, I pulled out Madd 158 and rode it since my boots can flex/travel a lot (RC8 w/ ACSS).  As it's condition requires much attention on high speed, especially on Madd,  at hauling speed, few bumps made my knees to hit my chest and threw me out few times.  I got few 'Are you ok?" from chairs but loved the condition and didn't slow down.  I know how to bleed off speed, but somehow, I didn't want to on such condition.  Big smile on snow-covered face. I guess I'm a born hardbooter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did you try either boards with plates and hard-boots at lower angles?  I ride a Coiler BXFR with plates as it makes it easier to change over to Alpine boards without changing boots.  Having a stiffer wide board helps to handle the extra leverage/power plates and hard-boots provide.  Something else to have in the quiver if the conditions are not prime for Alpine carving.

Hopefully the Endevour hammerhead is the start of that style of board becoming more common from slightly more mainstream brands, i doubt it but there is always hope. I love my SG soul and I'm itching to get it on a mountain but Scotland is a bit of a rock fest at times so its yet to make its outdoors debut. Hopefully i might get it out for the first time next week, once ive had some time on it ill post my thoughts up on it. 

On 2/4/2018 at 8:33 PM, steven said:

anyone know of a currently available 3 strap binding with a lockable highback ??

Have had to make my own for years...this pic shows what is necessary..... Locked Highback and Added top strap

There are a number of SB Bindings out there with which this can be done...

typically I get 150 days on a pair with no problems...

Edited by softbootsurfer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pat Donnelly said:

Did you try either boards with plates and hard-boots at lower angles?  I ride a Coiler BXFR with plates as it makes it easier to change over to Alpine boards without changing boots.  Having a stiffer wide board helps to handle the extra leverage/power plates and hard-boots provide.  Something else to have in the quiver if the conditions are not prime for Alpine carving.

No I haven't.  I wanted to ride with my daughter (8 years old snowboarder), who wants to ride fakie, jump, jump, jibbing, and butter with me. it can be done with hardboots on plates but I wanted to do it with alike equipments as hers. I will try this and a BX board on hardboots next time.  

Matthew, thanks for the review.  We talked and discussed but my brain was already thinking about next run down to test its characteristics that I felt I needed to explore more. Oh.. Planning and preparing a overnight trip with 2 kids distracted me and forgot to wax gears.   I cleaned and waxed all boards in my quiver yesterday. Now, I need more wax. It's all because of softboot decks.  :)  

13 hours ago, matthew said:

Quote:" I’d like a shorter full metal hammerhead board with a smaller sidecut radius. Something with a narrower waist. I think that would be the killer for our local hills."

Pretty much my magic board I bought this year.But not short.

Double titanal 0.4 small SCR 

Still need 26.5 waist. Can't see how you don't easily boot out in a 25.2 waist with 10.5 on thoses angles.

120490d1489300303-jasey-jay-anderson-tbx-166-tbx-166-specs.jpg.a1e35910dd0db169320c3aba3b9e524b(1).jpg

Edited by Poloturbo

I'm almost in the same boat.

Last week I got to try Mr @slopestar's monster Saber back to back with my Donek Twin (which used to be his as well). My takeaway is the same, e.i. the Twin is a flexy fun poppy board while the Saber is all business. I think you need both. Sometimes you need to be serious and sometimes you need to goof off.

Once I fill the coffers and get the boss's approval I think I'll give Sean a call!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poloturbo said:

Pretty much my magic board I bought this year.But not short.

Double titanal 0.4 small SCR 

1 hour ago, Poloturbo said:

120490d1489300303-jasey-jay-anderson-tbx-166-tbx-166-specs.jpg.a1e35910dd0db169320c3aba3b9e524b(1).jpg

Still need 26.5 waist. Can't see how you don't easily boot out in a 25.2 waist with 10.5 on thoses angles.

The footprint of Driver X boots is almost one size smaller than other boots that I tried. K2 and Salomon doesn't seem to care about footprint reduction much.  Adidas boots have even smaller footprint for same size but they don't have stiff boots that I was looking for. As stated, I set binding angles at 27F/12R and had zero boot out in NXT bindings. 

I like the dimension of your JaseyJay... very much..   8/10.5/9.5.  Yup.. that's exactly I would like to have.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, erazz said:

I'm almost in the same boat.

Last week I got to try Mr @slopestar's monster Saber back to back with my Donek Twin (which used to be his as well). My takeaway is the same, e.i. the Twin is a flexy fun poppy board while the Saber is all business. I think you need both. Sometimes you need to be serious and sometimes you need to goof off.

Once I fill the coffers and get the boss's approval I think I'll give Sean a call!

B489D046-8CD6-4213-86E5-A63ECEFFB453.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, matthew said:

This picture makes me feel like I crashed real bad and I can't get up. Then a gang of brightly attired Donek bros/chicks has gathered to laugh at me while I'm on the ground. Why won't they help me?

Yo Nate,

The snark is strong in this one

• Like 1

I just started snowboarding this year and carving has been my favorite thing to do so far. I got this board from Sean to carve in my soft boots and I am loving it so far. I tried forward angles and liked it, but I think I will stick to duck foot on this board and try to get a hard boot setup for next year.

Specs are as follows
Knapton Twin

160 cm length
29.5 cm waist width
8.734 m sidecut

20180209_124817.jpg

Edited by Pythmere
  • Like 1