Note to New Members ×

A sport for loners

1xsculler

LOL.  And another thing I can't abide, these new stand-alone fleece hoods/facewarmers that go over your helmet.  WTH?  You cannot buy a jacket these days without a g.d. hood, yet people go out and buy an extra one and look like a doofus??

https://images.evo.com/imgp/700/102825/514377/anon-mfi-xl-hooded-clava-green.jpg

• Like 1

I searched for ages for a hoodless jacket before giving in.  But you know what?  I like the hood.  It seems to bunch up nice enough behind my neck/helmet that it doesn't catch the wind like I thought it would, and I'm grateful to pull it over my helmet on those chairlift rides on ugly, windy cold days.

2 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

LOL.  And another thing I can't abide, these new stand-alone fleece hoods/facewarmers that go over your helmet.  WTH?  You cannot buy a jacket these days without a g.d. hood, yet people go out and buy an extra one and look like a doofus??

https://images.evo.com/imgp/700/102825/514377/anon-mfi-xl-hooded-clava-green.jpg

That one is so 2017,  all the cool kids are using these now...

9F30E12F-4FCA-4DCE-8743-CF37576F8849.jpeg

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Ha, on my fourth Prius, it’s a plug-in, for the 7500 miles so far I’m averaging 97.3mpg, and if you’ve never driven electric...100% torque from a stop, it handles better than my last two Audi’s, an A6 I dropped with sport springs and shocks and a A4 avant. Distronic cruise control, lane keeping, heated seats and heated steering wheel, until you look in a Prius you don’t know how big they are.

So, I wear my crocs to the hill and my feet don’t sweat on the way, dry socks when I put on my boots.

I don’t see boot gloves on the list, but yea, boot gloves below 20 degrees;)

And full body armor.

6 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

In addition to ski poles, here are a half dozen other things that are probably way more practical than what I'm using, that I will never be caught dead using:

1. Ruroc full face helmet

2. One-piece outer garment

3. Recumbent bicycle

4. Crocs

5. a Prius

6. a minivan

;-)

still had my HH onsie when I started using poles for boarding and only wish I had a prius

and now with my electric jacket the gaperificness is blinding:cool:

ps I've been using poles to get up after a fall for 25 yrs and I'll still be using them when I'm 80, unless I;m found dead with them 1st.

Edited by b0ardski

4 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I searched for ages for a hoodless jacket before giving in.  But you know what?  I like the hood.  It seems to bunch up nice enough behind my neck/helmet that it doesn't catch the wind like I thought it would, and I'm grateful to pull it over my helmet on those chairlift rides on ugly, windy cold days.

I searched for and eventually found a shell without a liner [North Face Gore-Tex Dryzzle Jacket]. It is a paper thin hooded shell that I wear over "other" coats and the hood is so thin it fits under my helmet. It absolutely shuts out the windchill here in balmy Michigan.

12 hours ago, Corey said:

I hear you!  The lifts didn't open for 2 of the 5 days I planned to ride over the Xmas break.  It was -50C with the windchill.  Luckily it warmed up to -38C with the windchill so the lifts ran the other 3 days.  I don't have a good wax for -30C ambient temps...  :(  Boot Gloves are helpful, though they need to wrap around the heels too.   Cold heels were my limiting factor.  

Rode by myself for 3 days.  Shared only two chair lift rides with someone else across the three days.   Didn't die from the lack of socialization.  ;)  

I freaking love global warming. Seems pretty toasty were you are. 

Love the warm air lately. Don't know why but a lot less skier to running into me.

Ruroc bashing from those who haven't worn them... Sad.

My son and his friend have them. My son outgrew his second gen Ruroc and now has the current generation. I've worn their helmets on occasion.

They never fog. They're not cold. My son only put on a neck warmer when it was -35f wind chill and -20f+ ambient.

The current generation's face mask is also downhill mtn bike certified.

The sound system in the current generation is very nice... Makes ya' want to be alone.

45 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

My son and his friend have them. My son outgrew his second gen Ruroc and now has the current generation. I've worn their helmets on occasion.

They never fog. They're not cold. My son only put on a neck warmer when it was -35f wind chill and -20f+ ambient.

The sound system in the current generation is very nice... Makes ya' want to be alone.

I don't doubt any of that.  Like I said, probably more practical than what I'm using.  But I just can't go there.

• LOL 1

Riding with other guys is the best way to improve your riding.

Doesn't matter if they are better or worst snowboarder than you.

In Italy we have various groups and we go carving together, sharing time, experience and why not trip costs.

We use to stop lonely carvers and invite them to dig with us, we share phone number for next carving day.

Going around with skiers often make hardbooter to change their style in worst.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lonbordin said:

Love my ruroc, don't think I am ever going back. I second all of the above, though I have to say the current Gen pushes at the sides a little too much for my liking compared to older Gen, but I do love the sound system and face mask

5 hours ago, jacopodotti said:

We use to stop lonely carvers and invite them to dig with us, we share phone number for next carving day.

Going around with skiers often make hardbooter to change their style in worst.

I love to find other carversdoesn't happen much around here.

i'd ride with you but be careful you might get some on ya

15742824083_0bfe10af0b_b.jpg

• LOL 2

56 minutes ago, b0ardski said:

I love to find other carversdoesn't happen much around here.

Huh, really? After that pic I can't imagine why...

You can't use ski poles or a Ruroc and claim to want to move the sport forward. The average person identifies you as a kook and runs the other way.

Sorry it's harsh but true.

8 hours ago, trailertrash said:

You can't use ski poles or a Ruroc and claim to want to move the sport forward. The average person identifies you as a kook and runs the other way.

Sorry it's harsh but true.

I'd rather be a kook than a conformist, and my 5 pair of 20 yr old stepins aint advancing the sport.if they run away they're not in the way so that's a happy:biggthump

I do get more questions using poles than if I just rocked hardshells:argue:

Randy Price and Eric Sheckleton tried to talk me out of using them but the best reason they gave was I look like a kook:smashfrea

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Before I started hardbooting I was a skinny weakling with no friends. I got no female attention. Bullies would kick sand on me at the beach. Then I started hardbooting and I bought 6 boards in 3 seasons. I focused on getting low. I lost some toenails. That’s about it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have ridden alone for years, you get about twice as many runs in. I just run the same trail under a chairlift and people ride for a few runs and move on. 

Having Ultrasone Edition 9 headphones and a TTVJ Portable tube amp and 80GB of tunes helps too.

CMC would ride with me as he would just ride  behind and try to get the same attack line, Adam Bolonsky at the Wa , and Paul Miller rode with me and Andre at Beaver Creek Centennial last season both fast... also Ray Shriener (Virus) would ride with me on Ruthies...until his back blew out. I ride with Will Garrow at Mammoth

So just go out and ride solo and be VERY visible until you find some ride buds of similar speed and terrain.

IMHO probably Forget about teaching your GF to ride,  just find people who are matched already to your speed whether women or men.

• Like 1