Note to New Members ×

Euro-carving is back, apparently

Neil Gendzwill

The article claims that because EC is hot in Korea, it's going to spread to other parts of the world like K-pop or the Hyundai Pony. Which, I think is fundamentally wrong. Korean carvers make the most of what they have. And what they have is a lot of man-made snow and zero off piste. Thus, the emphasis on riding groomed trails.

Despite the flawed logic, I'm pleased that hard booting received some kind of attention and I really don't mind the casual magazine style writing.

Edited by Apex Insider

The writing is truly terrible, but I don't think the writer is being facetious ... it's just terribly written. I agree that the logic is flawed. I think it would be great for the sport if it got a little more popular (particularly among younger riders) ... but I hope it never becomes mainstream. I don't think there is much risk of that ever happening.

37 minutes ago, lordmetroland said:

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell. This is when I feel my lack of people skills most dearly...

Considered irony, but didn't want to add to the confusion or get censored again.

Should be obvious that the point of the article is mockery.

Edited by Beckmann AG

21 minutes ago, queequeg said:

I guess my senses are dull. I did see the bit about powder days being overrated and that did have me wondering ... I guess it just isn't over-the-top enough to be funny so I assumed it was just really terrible writing?

Don't blame your senses. It's really easy to get wound up and miss the point when someone casually denigrates something you take seriously. 

The author took the middle road with more subtle humour as a means of masking intent. 

"First of all, South Korea is very much a country at the cutting edge – think Samsung, Kia and LG. When they go hard at something the world tends to notice."

(Exploding phones and washing machines are not usually considered Avant-Garde).

Edited by Beckmann AG

Over 16 years long, I have seen how Korea's alpine snowboarding has grown.

When I visited and rode in Korea in year 2000, there were no alpine snowboarders in any slope, except very few Korean National alpine racers who trains regularly at Bear's Town resort near North of Seoul.   EC has been introduced around year 2003-4 and few small groups dressed alike and rode boards (mostly F2 GS) together. Over the times, their 'EC' style has been mutated from EC that Jacque and Patrice has advocated.  Then, they named their style as 'BJ Riding' or something like that and called themselves 'Axer Riders' and rode together.  If I remember correctly, there were few videos of their group riding videos, uploaded by one of Axer Riders, here in BOL and got some harsh feedbacks from us. :)  I think their style was due to lack of coach or EC expert riders to teach them properly.   Anyway, whichever EC (extremecarving) has not been a major stream in Korea, in any given period of time. 

Korea's alpine snowboarding has grown successfully by former racers transited their career as resorts instructors and coaches of team riders which represents alpine equipment manufacturers.   As one of world's most active telecommunications and IT markets, Korea has many alpine snowboarding communities or social groups that can share, learn, and extend their kinship with occasional offline meetings/ridings.  Many alpine newcomers has joined them and progressed within.  With such fast growth of alpine snowboarding, brands like Nobile, Black Pearl, Elan, RM, All-Flex, etc, are also available in Korea market and endorsed such alpine riding teams.  I also occasionally read one Korean blog, Alpine Snowboard Laboratory, (http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=kimcarving&logNo=220924647014&categoryNo=0&parentCategoryNo=0&viewDate=&currentPage=1&postListTopCurrentPage=1&from=postView) to learn about new equipments and techniques.  

The writer's statement, 'every second person' do alpine snowboarding is way too much exaggerated.  I say probably 1 out of 20-30 on a good day, maybe?  But hell. that's about more than 100 times than here in United States. (at least my neck of woods).  Also, in this year alone, young Korean alpine racers stood on WC podium many times.  Korean will cheer them like 2002 FIFA World Cup when their athletes race on 2018 PyongChang Olympics.  Then, who knows.  maybe every second person could be the alpine snowboarders few years later.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

Considered irony, but didn't want to add to the confusion or get censored again.

Should be obvious that the point of the article is mockery.

Oh, now I see. When an article makes me want to strangle the writer with my bare hands, it's a sign that he (or she) is probably being "ironic." Or possibly "sarcastic." My parole officer will be happy to see I'm starting to make the connections that people will normal emotional responses do.

20 minutes ago, lordmetroland said:

Oh, now I see. When an article makes me want to strangle the writer with my bare hands, it's a sign that he (or she) is probably being "ironic." Or possibly "sarcastic." My parole officer will be happy to see I'm starting to make the connections that people will normal emotional responses do.

Wouldn't go so far as to say your response is normal. Understandable? Certainly.  

(Had you marked down as 'getting it', but might have to rummage for the Wite-out).

Either way, this should cheer you up sans pharmacopeia:

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Edited by Beckmann AG

21 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Ah, so my blind rage is actually stupidity in disguise. If I were smarter, this would clarify things. As it stands, it just makes me madder, which I suspect just proves your point. 

Man, you guys make a tough audience. If you read other articles on the blog, there is a distinct lack of sarcasm and some well-stated opinion.  eg. http://thesnowgauge.net/competition/the-problem-with-lindsey-vonns-butt/  The website is a clearly a blog and I say good on him for showing enough passion for the sport to write about it.

The writer is bang on when he says Koreans go hard. They took to golf in the 80s and now dominate LPGA and are quite competitive on the men's circuit. They learned baseball from American GIs, formed a pro league in 1981 and now Korean players are all over MLB. And don't even get me started on online gaming. I thought I was a decent Starcraft player until I went up against some 14 year old Korean kid and he'd destroy me in 2 minutes.

Korea's love for carving is to our benefit. They are the #1 or #2 export market for Kessler and I'm going to venture a guess that they are top 3 for all the major brands - SG, Oxess, Apex (the snowboards from Austria). They passionately follow World Cup and treat the athletes like stars. Their own local comps are very well organised and have a pro look-and-feel. Korea and, to a lesser extent, China, are the *only* growth markets for our sport.

Sang Ho Lee is a medal contender in PGS and if he podiums in 2018, the sport is going to explode in Korea.

Carving is big in Korea and getting bigger. That's my take away from the article. I don't get all the negativity on this thread.

Cheers,

Henry

Edited by Apex Insider
  • Like 3