Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line 2011/12

slopestar

Here's the setup...

Tuesday nights we have beer league ski racing and I run the gates on skis and alpine board. To get to the course with both skis and board I carry the board as I ski down the hill to catch the lift that takes me over to the course.

As I get on the chair to take me to the course the lifty asks "Did you just find that board on the hill?" Feeling like a smart-a$$ I answer "Heck no... some dork cut me off so I ran him down, beat him up and stole his board." The stunned look on the speechless guy's face was absolutely priceless.

Later he figured it out when I'd come thru alternating skis/board/skis/board.

Earlier that evening I had another smart-mouth moment. I had just propped my skis/poles in a rack and put my alpine board down to clip in. A kid was watching and I could see him look to my skis, look to my board, look back at my skis, then look at my UPZ boots. With a somewhat confused look on his face he pointed to my board and asked "what IS that?" I responded "It's a bicycle!"

We both had a good laugh and I went on to explain that is was a alpine snowboard used for engaging the edge and carving powerful turns.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was carving at Attitash last Saturday with a skier in our group up from florida.

He kept telling me "Stop turning all the time, just pic a line and go straight."

He also tried to pass me on my blind side on narrow paths twice with the "Look out! On your right!" like a damned bike messenger.

I did my best to keep him WAY in front of me.

So a friend, her daughter (skiiers) and I are handing our gear to the gondola guy. Another gondola guy comes up and looks at my board (a 154 cm Nale) and he's looking ALL around but not at us. Finally he says to the first gondola guy "whose board is this?" And I say "mine":D Pardon me, sir, your sexism AND ageism is showing!!!:p

More like 'seen from the lift' - here's a funny from "the making of SkES". I was setting up the shot for the final 'eurocarve' which of course was just me stretched out on the snow with my pocket camera on pocket tripod set up just uphill. From the lift a woman saw the apparent yard sale and my motionless body, called patrol at the top and came zooming down to save me! Guess 'eurocarving' look pretty dangerous! Sorry I couldn't come up with a good way to work it into the story.... :)

More like 'seen from the lift' - here's a funny from "the making of SkES". I was setting up the shot for the final 'eurocarve' which of course was just me stretched out on the snow with my pocket camera on pocket tripod set up just uphill. From the lift a woman saw the apparent yard sale and my motionless body, called patrol at the top and came zooming down to save me! Guess 'eurocarving' look pretty dangerous! Sorry I couldn't come up with a good way to work it into the story.... :)

Awesome, as ALWAYS. You should be a writer !!

This funny looking deal.

Actually, I don't find anything odd about that board at all. I slalom ski 6 days a week in the summer and you'll find that the more your feet are pointed forward the more you need your rear heal to dynamically lift slightly to give you a powerful, balanced stance. That's why you will find some pro slalom skiers actually prefer a rear "toe plate" to a "rear boot" (myself included).

Goode Water skis has it wired. They offer this option (dynamic heel lift) with their hard shell water ski bindings.

I skied with two conventional boots and felt too stiff and awkward with it (much like somebody on a skwal looks). So I have always skied with a rear toe plate for good attack balance. But this past season I modified my rear boot to allow my heal to rise several inches while skiing. Wham ! That is the hot setup.

So,,, the above video is not odd at all to me and I have often looked at Bomber Bindings and thought they are missing one thing: that tele heal lift (especially if you expect to ride a narrow virus or a skwal). But live and learn. Someday in the future it will be here.

"The GOODE PowerShellTM 5 Double Boot System features two hard boots on a single G-10 Composite plate, Boot Rotation System and adjustable rear double spring heel hold down system. The double spring system allows your rear foot heel to raise which adds Power to your edge change behind the boat. During a fall, both boots release on a single plate."

http://goode.com/waterskiboots.htm

not exactly in the lift line but maybe worth mentioning

last week i was picking up my Scalpel 180 from being tuned and this guy waiting to pick up his park board looks at the scalpel and says "wow that's a long board" so i replied this is a 180 but my longest board it's actually 188, he kept looking at it and i knew he had no clue a few second later when he asked me if it was a heli-board, i just told him it was a carving board but he looked a little perplexed

Good job Sunsurfer. Excellent explanation and good job not to be condenscending.

Heard in the lift line once again this year.

Skier:"Your bindings are on wrong dude. You should go into the ski repair and have them placed on correctly before you get hurt?"

(my binding angles are about 57 back 54 front)

me: "The guy at the shop told me that this would improve my riding"

skier: "The guy at the shop doesn't know what he is talking about"

me: "Maybe, we'll see"

Then I went for a run.

While clipping in at the top of the run, two teen snowboarders are looking at me and one of them asks, "Is that an alpine board?" I was really taken by surprise.

Then on the way down, I stop by a group of 6-10 year old skiers taking a lesson. One of them sees me coming and yells, "Cool! A carving board!"

A total 180 from having to explain my gear on every chair ride up.

Since joining this site, my son points out everyone with a snowboard and hardboots. It's almost embarrassing when he yells across the base area "Hey Dad! Look at that guys carving board and hard boots!"

One day I can stop upgrading my kids gear and update my own stuff! I'm riding an 01 Rossi ProLine 157 with Salomon S4 bindings from the same year. Boots are similar aged Burton somethings... they were the stiffest boots Burton made back then. I thought I was "doing it" as a softbot carver. Now I can hardly stand to put the thing on edge, those old boots are just done.

Walking out to the rack first thing in the morning to grab my board and head to the lift. 16-ish girls/boys just dropping off their stuff before heading into the lodge.

Girl: "Wow, his board is so long!"

Boy, not missing a beat: "Yeah, but mine's thicker."

LOL!

Chatting with a nice 40-ish woman on the chair ride up (I was in the singles line and joined her and her friend). She all of a sudden notices my board, looks me up and down, and says "OMG, are you the guy that's doing all those turns?!? You're beautiful! What is that thing called?"

12-ish kid in the lift line, makes some comment about my ski board. I correct him that it's an alpine snowboard. He says, "No, it's a ski board! I know those well." Umm, ok...