Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line 2011/12

slopestar

She: "What is THAT?"

Me: "A racegun for the winter."

She: Look of confusion.

So, diplomacy ain't my forte, already.

I'd love a winter-specific racegun, but despite all the plethora of manufacturers out there, I don't know anyone making 1911s with hand warmers. :D

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is, it is a perfectly reasonable mistake - if you have never seen hard boots before, of course you will think they are ski boots. I always just explain the differences politely.

Absolutely true. That's the number one question I've always had on the lift ride up with others...especially if you are average Joe/Jane skier not into techy stuff .

I got a fun one from the lift attendant at the bunny runs (it's my first day ever riding hard boots... I thought I'd take it really easy and try and get things dialed in and explore what it really feels like) and the nice lady goes "do you know how to get... (on the chair lift) oh you're riding one of those. you must know what you're doing." so I smiled and said "well actually it's my first day on the gear." and she stops and gets all confused. what, nobody has a first day in this gear? *lol* ;)

In front of me in the chairlift line is an eight year old on a snowboard (second run ever on a snowboard) with his mother on skis.

Kid: "What's that?"

Mother: "That's a snowboard."

Kid: "Are you sure?"

Mother: "Oh Yes! I am sure." And then she gives me a big smile. :biggthump

Kid still looks confused and looks at me

Me: "Oh yes, it is a snowboard!"

Kid smiles and nods

Looks like the good work of others in the region is helping people understand that snowboards come in different shapes and sizes.

The one question I get EVERY time I get my hard boot set up out is...

"So how does that work then?", I find it so hard not to say something sarcastic, so I just say "I have absolutely no idea". At that point the chair usually goes quiet. My work here is done... I can go back to my iPod.

The one question I get EVERY time I get my hard boot set up out is...

"So how does that work then?", I find it so hard not to say something sarcastic, so I just say "I have absolutely no idea". At that point the chair usually goes quiet. My work here is done... I can go back to my iPod.

Why not just take the chance to explain how it works?

My son is a skier and on a recent trip to our semi-local hill he was on the lift with some snowboarders when I came down under it. Lots of "what the @*#@*& is that?" and "did you see that?" He just says "that's my dad!"

Why not just take the chance to explain how it works?

My son is a skier and on a recent trip to our semi-local hill he was on the lift with some snowboarders when I came down under it. Lots of "what the @*#@*& is that?" and "did you see that?" He just says "that's my dad!"

In all seriousness I usually do, I save that reply for those that are looking down their noses at me.

I stole Neil's response to the "Is that fun?" question: "No, my mom makes me do it." A quick laugh is needed after that one or people think you're farking nuts.

Had a liftie tell the random guy I was loading a chair with that he should ride like me.

Him: "He's almost touching the snow in every turn with his hips!"

Me: "Almost?!?" :)

Had a good chat with the random guy about alpine.

I was just inside the door of the lodge taking a break and this lady and her son sat down at the table.

I had taken my jacket and helmet off (so i'm not sure how she knew it was me..?) and she looks over at me. ponts and says "you're the guy!!" and she does her best impression with her hand straight out and doing her best to mimick laying it out and says "You're the the guy that almost lays down when you turn!! That looks amazing, we were watching you from the chair!"

It was my first day on Carbo Monster with the BBP, guess I was doing sometrhing right.

I told her she made my day.:)

Sweet.

last week at Tremblant, I was at the top of La Crete (green trail leading to some blues) paused on the side of the trail waiting for my son. A few seconds later, out of the teeming mass of two-plankers, two-strappers and pizza-wedgers, glides a hardbooter. He gives me a smooth and subtle salute to the brim of his helmet. Caught off guard, I give him an equally subtle thumbs up, and he's off.

I chuckled to myself that this must be what it's like when [insert name of favorite sports car here] drivers pass each other on the highway :cool: and figured that was proof positive I'm an official member of the carving tribe now!

PS...He ended up being one of only 4 hardbooters I saw the entire week.

• 2 weeks later...

Angry Skiier: "you're crazy"

Me: "yes I am"

Angry Skier:"you're taking up the whole run"

Me: "I can't help it, it's a 12m sidecut"

(Was not taking up the whole run, about half of the course had gates on it, I was keeping it WELL within the half of slope that was open)

same day -->

Random Skiier: Nice carving, you make it look fun (Something like that, helmet affects my hearing!)

:D