• Powder: 12-15" dry blower
    • Corduroy: perfect groom, firm chalk

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On Tuesday at SES I was at Highlands. About 1 PM we found a run than almost nobody else had. About 14" of fresh tracks run after run. Kept lapping this lift until they closed it at 3:30. I was on a Burton Fish. Riding was truly effortless. Best powder day I've ever had.

Any cat can make cord. Only God can make powder.

Another kinda rare occurrence is fluff on groom. I've experienced a few days of 5"+ or so of featherlight snow on top of perfect cord. It doesn't last long as the crowds get into it but the sensation of ripping a low carve while the pow envelopes me is absolutely surreal. The board seems to float on air between transitions and then trench midturn. Looking down to see my whole body under the snow is pretty cool...with just my head floating above the snow.

Best feeling ever - that weightless instant where you pull out of the trench and float across the snow, before diving back in ... :1luvu:

The only untracked pow I've ridden in has been behind a snowmobile with a tow-rope, or 50' hills at a local golf course. Sad, I know. I was amazed how quickly it gets tracked out at a resort - very much a 'duh!' moment but I was still surprised. We'd go for hours behind the snowmobile in ditches just looking for bigger drifts and jumping the road approaches/culverts.

So I'll take pow when I can get it but I get hundreds of days of groom to every 1 day of pow, so my equipment is chosen to work best on groom. If I win the lotto there will be pow equipment and some helicopter rides on my list though...

Voted Pow

I've had more perfect groomed days of carving than powder days. I've had about half a dozen amazing powder days in Europe and US and still remember that weightless feeling of floating through the powder. There is nothing like it. 12-15 isn't enough I want 30+ of powder:1luvu:

The results of this poll have me questioning the future of the human race...

How can we possibly survive if so many people prefer cord to pow? Has nearly half the forum gone insane?!!?

Ah well, more fluffy stuff for the rest of us!

Powder.

Both rock... to me it's like asking, "which would you rather see? Your favorite pitcher toss a no-hitter but give up a two walks, or your favorite pitcher give up 1 hit and no walks".

I'd be extremely happy seeing either game but if I have to choose, I'll see the no hitter every time... because there's something "special" about the no hitter than makes it larger-than-life.

An epic powder day is the same way... but an epic carving day is just as enjoyable while it is happening.

I love powder as much as the next guy but.....

every time we have a big dump it is SO crowded I end up hating it. Long lift lines suck!

Maybe if I was at a mountain with deep powder and similar crowds to what I am used to on a weekday perfect groomed morning I might think otherwise.

yeah, pow is hard to come by even in the west in it's un tracked form, split boards, being a resort employee, snow shoes or cat skiing are what it comes down to to get it more than that epic every once a year type storm.

mind you I've gone waist deep in the east but I had access and in depth knowledge. here's hint for east coast people, sunday river get little snow compared to competing resorts but it's saving grace is the day after it snows it usually get windy, if it's windy lift 10 at white cap closes. white heat and the adjacent trails are serviced by lift ten, the top of lift 10 is a five minute walk from the top lift one which is less likely to close but even if it does it almost always reopens first.

white cap has given me the deepest widest open inbounds pow I've found anywhere in the US after a epic storm a few years, that was the waist deep stuff but normally 20 to 25 can drift in, you just gotta pic the line well. then, you ride down to the white cap lodge and wait for the bus to take you back to barker. simply awesome. we used to joke about it being the sunday river cat service.

I think some of the east coast people....

wth, I'd be quite happy with either!:1luvu:

btw, I readly admit to having rarely ridden on true powder, and then it's only been less then 10-12" deep.

I've had a fair amount of time ridding in heavy, deep mid atlantic snow, but "powder" around these parts is very rare, much less "bottomless"

I have skied deep powder out west years ago but since having a child, just haven't been able to justify those trips.

Perfect cord on Aspen's Ruthies.. or perhaps Zinal..(Never been there- but the vids look cool)...or Sun Valley (never been there either), the outback at Mt. Bachleor is also insane.

Powder.. it has to be heli skiing which does beat all, but for within a resort... I think Cord. And Aspen has very good terrain for pow..and the most magical moments are in Pow- which were amazing in Aspen.. but they are fleeting and don't last long with a zillion other powder hounds. A chopper changes all that.

The best spent money you will ever spend in your life has to be heli dollars....if you have the right gear.

I had to go with powder, just because it gets chewed up so fast at Hood where I usually ride. Cord can last all day, especially midweek with no fresh (=no midweek traffic). On a powder day -- no matter what day of the week it is -- the whole mountain is done in an hour.

l voted cord.

BUT... here in Hokkaido Japan the appearance of cord is rare. Where l normally ride the groomed runs are all chewed up before lunch time... however the pow in the trees stays fresh and deep 3-4 days after a dump. The dumps are plentiful and often so if you know where to look you can ride pow all day.... for days.

The only way to get cord is to be the first guy on the chair.