Note to New Members ×

Should we offer a Sub-Forum for Softboot Carving?

fin

Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can go either way, not a big deal to me

I was focused on "carving" on a snowboard, which was the important word for me.

For some, the important word is "hardboot" on a snowboard, it's ok for me.

I consider the tool for carving is the snowboard, some consider the tool is the hardboot.

That said we are discussing making a "Softboot" carving forum just for this

That would be great for people who are really into softboot carving, but not for me. Allthough I softboot now I road hard boots almost 15 years having seasons of 60+ days. "I hard boot ride on a soft deck," and think I would most likely post in this forum and not a "softboot" only forum. I may be the biggest freak on a snowboard. When soft booters see me ride they wonder how I can do it with such steep angles. Most feel that it isn't really soft boot riding. The same is true with hard booters. Most that see me ride swear I am in hard boots but on closer investigation they see I'm not. Most wonder why i'm not and feel I'm not really hard booting. So what the heck am I. A freak soft booter that drives good lines but feels like he is on a hard deck. With that said I will post on the "Hard booting forum".

Surfing...Long vs. Short

Skating...Free vs. Coneheads

Skiing...Bumps vs. Sl, GS

Hey Softbootsailer-Love the post, don't take any of my ramblings to heart. You are definately one of the good guys. Hoping to get back down to Aspen again this season and would enjoy riding with you again. Send me your email through Bomber.

Think Snow!

I guess I'm a bonafide gear snob, so be it.

When I'm in the village or lift line and I see plate bindings I go out of my way to introduce myself to my fellow hardbooter, ask about their gear and suggest we carve together.

Not once have I ever done that to someone in softees.

I know a handful of riders that can lay trench, carve circles, and ski & tele, but will never buy hardboots, so be it.

I know a handful of riders that rip the whole mountain in hardshells and AM/freeride boards and these are the guys I prefer to ride with, so be it.

Carving groomers in soft gear requires different dynamics than hard gear, thereby different discussion, i.e. subforum, so be it.

keeping softboot evangelism out of hardboot discussions = priceless:biggthump

posted elsewhere are correct (approaching $1 mil per size!!??) it would seem unlikely that much progress will not be made in HB evolution, given the tiny niche we represent in the boarding population.

Hope for progress then lies with AT's - OK they're designed for a different sport, BUT it's a significantly larger market - and with "softboots". Moreover, we know carve-friendly bindings can be designed for softies - certainly at a much smaller cost than $1 mil per binding size!

Granted, to me, the average softbooter in motion looks like a spastic dork compared to your average hardbooter on similar terrain. But I've seen a good number of "darksiders" who were absolute poetry in motion on the slopes. You wouldn't call it Euro, but it's "real" carving nonetheless.

Seems to me we're all following the same Muse.

So, yeah, let's have a forum for Softboot Carving. Not interested? You don't have to read it!

BB

Skiing...Bumps vs. Sl, GS

not really, but believe that if you want, now that we'll probably have a sandbox just for your agenda it will be more appropriate for this site and much less clutter for those that don't want your 3rd strap evangelism.

BTW, what's your fixation on making magazine covers? I don't get it.........

Personally, I voted "no", because not only is it carving, no matter what the board or boots you ride, but the techniques cross over. I can see an argument for having a separate forum, though. What gets on my tits is the anti-SB twattishness being shown in this thread.

I have a tendency to chat with hardbooters and skwallers at work, and anyone who is obviously ripping it on softies. I've been known to go out and rip with them on my lunchbreaks, days off, and late start days. that goes for the swallowtail / dupraz guys, too. And occasionally a few of those satanic "two-plankers". What matters is knowing how to ride, not what you're riding on.

Personally, you wouldn't get me in softies any more, but that's personal choice. Hell, saw a guy today on a Rossi race deck, with softies. Mounted duck. I would have laughed, but he was cutting clean, pure lines in ice. "Hey", I thought to myself, "carver, not a twat", and had a chat with him.

But, you know, if you're not wearing hardboots with BTS, mounted on Sidewinders and riding 1000$+ of metal deck, you're obviously scum.

Yeah, this is the "Carving Community".

Shame it's full of elitist gearhead w*nkers.

Don't waste your time. I've got something better for you to talk to....

christ, you're such a charmer. you've been literally called hardbooters gay but have stayed here for a couple years now. bitched for a long time that riding plates was basically skiing and now you're crying that we don't listen to you?

what gives?

are you gonna bitch about the cost of gear now? then tell the one guy that makes the only entry level alpine snowboard his prices are too high and he ought to be able to build a board as cheap as the wal mart house brands?

but you say other posters on this site are dense.

What gets on my tits is the anti-SB twattishness being shown in this thread........

But, you know, if you're not wearing hardboots with BTS, mounted on Sidewinders and riding 1000$+ of metal deck, you're obviously scum.

Yeah, this is the "Carving Community".

Shame it's full of elitist gearhead w*nkers.

Tufty, you are way off in your interpretation of what is being argued in this thread. Most every carver I know has full respect for other carvers on any type of snow sliding equipment. Yes, there is a lot of noise, but maybe you could read through it one more time. There is actually very little anti-softboot rhetoric and nothing about what hardboot gear one rides. It is mostly hardboot carvers arguing to keep the Carving Community for hardboot discussions.

I never considered that BOL was anything but a hardboot site where discussion about softboots sometimes occurs. I consider a softboot forum a significant step up from the Off Topic forum. It is really interesting to see posters perplexed and upset by this notion.

Hardboot carving is different, both in equipment and technique, than softboot carving. It will be much simpler (and with fewer flame wars) to keep the topics separate. A large number of BOL members posting and voting here will participate in the softboot forum because we also softboot.

Personally, I voted "no", because not only is it carving, no matter what the board or boots you ride, but the techniques cross over. I can see an argument for having a separate forum, though.....

I have a tendency to chat with hardbooters and skwallers at work, and anyone who is obviously ripping it on softies. I've been known to go out and rip with them on my lunchbreaks, days off, and late start days. that goes for the swallowtail / dupraz guys, too. And occasionally a few of those satanic "two-plankers". What matters is knowing how to ride, not what you're riding on.

Personally, you wouldn't get me in softies any more, but that's personal choice. Hell, saw a guy today on a Rossi race deck, with softies. Mounted duck. I would have laughed, but he was cutting clean, pure lines in ice. "Hey", I thought to myself, "carver, not a twat", and had a chat with him.

This part of your post is exactly what most of us, with a couple of exceptions, feel. I just met a ripping softy carver today, duck stance and it did not matter which way he was facing, he carved. We are all after the same feeling. I bet this is how even our two exceptions would act on the hill (probably ;)).