Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

29 minutes ago, Kneel said:

Late Tuesday night. Picking up kid #2 from school in the Bronx, which sucks but also nice not to fly solo. I'd smuggle a large plain from Pugslie's if I could keep it warm in the suitcase. Colorado has a sever pizza problem, though Peppinos in Frisco is a respectable take on the baked dough, sauce and cheese concept.  I'll see what I can do.  👍

Breckenridge Ale House and PIzzaria has the best pizza in Summit County, or maybe CO. And it's NJ style; cheese first with the sauce on top.

Their quality slides a bit if it's busy. I rate it quite a bit higher than Peppinos.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kneel said:

Late Tuesday night. Picking up kid #2 from school in the Bronx, which sucks but also nice not to fly solo. I'd smuggle a large plain from Pugslie's if I could keep it warm in the suitcase. Colorado has a sever pizza problem, though Peppinos in Frisco is a respectable take on the baked dough, sauce and cheese concept.  I'll see what I can do.  👍

I thought you would be doing the maniacal cross country drive one again, since your flying, dont worry about the rolls.  If you need a pow stick, you can borrow one of my tankers if you'd like to.  I have multiple pizza places, 2 of the proprietors are from Ocean county, one from Point Pleasant, and another from Beachwood, I can get a decent white pie about a mile from here at a third, I have 4th in the hood here that has an exceptional beer selection. Let me know about the tanker.

Mario

Edited by big mario

9 hours ago, Odd Job said:

Breckenridge Ale House and PIzzaria has the best pizza in Summit County, or maybe CO. And it's NJ style; cheese first with the sauce on top.

Their quality slides a bit if it's busy. I rate it quite a bit higher than Peppinos.

Breck side definitely has better food options.  Copper is cullinary wasteland.  They need a food gondola over 91.  Something. Anything.

1 hour ago, big mario said:

I thought you would be doing the maniacal cross country drive one again, since your flying, dont worry about the rolls.  If you need a pow stick, you can borrow one of my tankers if you'd like to.  I have multiple pizza places, 2 of the proprietors are from Ocean county, one from Point Pleasant, and another from Beachwood, I can get a decent white pie about a mile from here at a third, I have 4th in the hood here that has an exceptional beer selection. Let me know about the tanker.

Mario

Pork roll is easy to freeze and carry on.  Emotional support animals and TSA dogs give me the once-over, but I'm otherwise overlooked as a nitrate mule.  A backpack full of fresh hardrolls is some new territory. This summer I'll be on I70 with the sprinter, bikes and maybe a dog or two to stay for a couple weeks in the collegiates.  You'll have dibs on all my available freezer space on the way out. 👍 

• Haha 1

4" new yesterday with a nice grippy groom underneath for carving. Issues on I-70 made for few people out at opening bell which we took advantage of.

Myself, svr, Ice, Kyle, OddJob, FnG and Miss FnG in the line up. It was cold but at least we had a head wind while ascending to the top. One and done on the practice field due to said cold and winds and on to 6 for a bit more protection. A couple runs to defile roulette and on to the other side for pow turns in the blown in areas around the Flushes. Legs tired from many laps on 6 and the move to Chets was made. Only 2 runs here before we called it for recovery beverages in the Rat. 

D.T., not feeling the ride with a hurting foot made it up to the rat to hear the chatter about how awesome a day it had been.

Mario the wuss, per D.T., decided his bed was more fun than ripping turns with the LCI. Bigs gets pack mule punishment for next week as you will be hauling everyone's gear to Chets from the lot.

Miss FnG, thanks for holding down the estrogen side as our regulars could not be in attendance. You are welcome to join us more frequently.

ink

Edited by inkaholic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Took my 13 year-old daughter to desecrate @big mario's Yardland yesterday. We may have been the only people on that patch all day and it was sneakily fun. The ancient Wind God was sometimes benevolent (soft, filled in fields) and sometimes harsh (ice waves and crust) but I felt we were treated justly. Like any other day spent vandalizing the temple, it was great!

• Like 3

A challenging day yesterday - but fun nonetheless. Blustery day in Denver. Full on winter at the Divide. 5 degrees on arrival, snowing and blowing (but not too hard). About 3 - 4" new on top of groom. The snow was very slow. Visibility above timberline was almost nonexistent. We would get off the lift and head "over in that direction". The only way we could move at all was because we were so familiar with the terrain. We kept landmarks in sight and engaged in some "faith carving": "I can't see where I'm going but I have faith that I can deal with it". I've never experienced vertigo so badly - except in powder. But we were riding a lot faster. 

Below timberline the visibility was much better. Soft carving conditions were good. We stayed mostly on Ptarmigan and #6 but then abandoned #6 after a few runs because it was so hard to get going from the top of the lift due to the slow snow. We did one non-stop from the top of Ptarmigan to the parking lot. I don't recall the last time I did that.  

13 runs in about 3.5 hours. We got cold and headed inside for a cold beer.

If they don't get a sudden warm-up the snow should be good for a while longer.  

• Like 1

Ahh them olden days...

Today was a reminder of that, cold, windy with snow blowing sideways, low visibility

certainly, don't miss them, but you take what you can get. Our intrepid little posse today consisted of the usual suspects, 007, FNG, Ice, Ink, SVR and myself. Kneel and son #2 were supposed to be joining us, but oversleeping, and an accident on eastbound I-70 kept them at copper today.  Despite the rigourous  conditions and a bit of whining by myself, a fun day was had by all. With with 4''of fresh over funky, chunky frozen, we all left our racer monkey tendencies in our cars, or in the lodge, and just went laid back and surfy.  I rode the little sf, thinking it would be nice to lower the displacement, cut through the chop, and not get bucked around like i was on a brahma bull. That worked out well, and I was surprised at how well it floated when it was called on to do so. 

Not overly crowded today, being Easter, with most people focused on finding easter eggs, leaving us with mostly kook free riding.  the chop, wind, snow and cold eventually wore us down, and we reatreated to the relative warmth and breezeless Rat for our post ride analgesic recovery drinks. Kevins tracker app followed him in there, and recorded a speed of 0.0mph as we recharged for next week.

3 Sundays left, parts of my body cannot wait, while I know I am going to be sad.

'til next Sunday,

Mario

• Like 5

Better conditions yesterday than I anticipated. A bit crunchy up high. Turning to mashed potatoes near the bottom by 1PM. But still a great carving day overall. Firecut was groomed wider than I have ever seen. Skier's left almost to the lift. No more moguls. 

We were in the lodge in the morning having breakfast. I overheard Vinny saying that the owners were in the back room. A bit later the door opened up and a couple of women came out. I went over to introduce myself. The woman introduced herself as Cathy Upham. Chet was her dad and Ginny Lee was her mom. We told them how much we loved their area and how great the grooming has been this year (in spite of challenging snow conditions). One of the guys there said they recently bought some new Pisten Bully snow cats. 

If it continues to be warm and they don't get any new snow the conditions could deteriorate pretty quickly.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnE said:

If it continues to be warm and they don't get any new snow the conditions could deteriorate pretty quickly.  

Forecast is calling for snow the next few days, looking like we might end up with a another sunday like last weeks.

Mario

24 minutes ago, svr said:

No review from last week?

sorry I missed it.

Dense (like me) dust on crust.  about 4'' of new grippable, somewhat firm, supportive snow. Spent the morning on the sf, giggling my fat A$$ off. there were carve trains, tailgunning, tightening of turns when a certain fng got a little close.  I was nearly in a collision right of the bat as an ape hanger park monkey speaking jibberish thought it would be a good idea to pass me between the edge of the trees at the apex of my healside on mambo on the way to reload. Boards got within a foot of each other as I was making nice, flowwy consistent turns. Dumasso went down, I stayed up, yay for me!

Good crew out, Ice Hil, and Shelly stuck around for a few, then took off in search of the oh so elusive gnar, we didnt see them for the rest of the day.  Fng and sweetie, Ink, the incredibly odd one, myself, and Mr. E lapped reload and 6, I hung in until a bit after11, and headed down the hill. hit some severiously squally patches between bakerville  and Idaho springs, made it feel a wee bit like mid winter.

Sandy, I hope you didnt break yourself too bad, and you will back in the lineup next Sunday.

2 to go

Mario

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, big mario said:

Dense (like me) dust on crust.  about 4'' of new grippable, somewhat firm, supportive snow. Spent the morning on the sf, giggling my fat A$$ off. there were carve trains, tailgunning, tightening of turns when a certain fng got a little close.  I was nearly in a collision right of the bat as an ape hanger park monkey speaking jibberish thought it would be a good idea to pass me between the edge of the trees at the apex of my healside on mambo on the way to reload. Boards got within a foot of each other as I was making nice, flowwy consistent turns. Dumasso went down, I stayed up, yay for me!

Good crew out, Ice Hil, and Shelly stuck around for a few, then took off in search of the oh so elusive gnar, we didnt see them for the rest of the day.  Fng and sweetie, Ink, the incredibly odd one, myself, and Mr. E lapped reload and 6, I hung in until a bit after11, and headed down the hill. hit some severiously squally patches between bakerville  and Idaho springs, made it feel a wee bit like mid winter.

Sandy, I hope you didnt break yourself too bad, and you will back in the lineup next Sunday.

2 to go

Mario

Thanks @big mario🙏 still sore but should be able to ride again this weekend 🏂🤘😎🤙

• Like 5

Pretty good day again yesterday. Snow was pretty good but disappearing rapidly. Visibility went from pretty good to not so good. Got in 18 runs on Firebowl, Bennet's, Dueces, Roulette & Keno. 9AM to 1:15 or so. Our legs were fried. They're setting up for a banked slalom on Firebowl (skier's left) for Saturday 5/7. 

Hope they get some new snow soon!

• Like 1

We coined a new phrase on the lift yesterday: "Faith Carving". The visibility is pretty bad so you can't see but you rely on faith that you know the slope well enough and that it is groomed so you go ahead and carve based on "faith". 

• Haha 1

Good day- very variable from bullet proof first thing to corn chowder by mid day. Lots of fun. I left a bit early to beat the weather flip out of the hills.

Next Sunday is the close. Looking forward to it!

IMG_20220501_104625_089.jpg.d93a53b86773dbfeda236253ac9998e3.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, slopestar said:

Katie and I will be available for any leftover 4 pack tickets…

possibly may have one. hoping to get both karverkai and softcarver out but want to see if kk wants to bring someone first. 

or may have two if kk has a migraine and opts out of joining us.

ink