Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

I’m definitely in. We will be bringing stuff to grill hot dogs, beer, and some other stuff.  I’ll need to meet someone for a ticket as well. 

@Kneel There really isn’t anything you can’t put the pork roll on. Pork roll fried rice was really good. Im still working through my first pound so when that’s done I’m expecting the track suit to show up in the mail. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been playing with the Ski Tracker App. We were at Loveland last Wednesday. Here is a screenshot of four of the runs. These are on Chet's over on Lift #8. Ginny Lee Cabin is visible in the lower right corner. Snow that day was a mix of groomed and quasi-powder. The run in the bottom of the photo was some low amplitude, high frequency turns under the lift. The 2 runs in the upper portion of the shot were skier's left of the groom in windpack snow. These again were higher frequency, low amplitude. 

The run down the middle was on the groom just east of the lift. These were big, carving turns. 

It's interesting that the App has a high enough sampling rate that it can show the big difference in the riding style. 

IMG_0689.PNG

• Like 1

The melt, and the freeze

Is once again upon us.  Lot's o firm at the start of the day, leading to a slower, more leisurely start to our morning, in fact, Carvin Marvin remarked (paraphrasing here) Y'alls used to be frothing at the mouth to be on the lift as soon as they drop the rope, whats goin on here? I replied along the lines of" we're tired, its getting late in the season, and some of us are fat and old,  and besides, it's really phuckin' phirm right now"

We started out on the practice field, which was full of miniature Oreo and chips ahoy death cookies on top of a frozen snow cone. Some of the smarter members of the crew headed over to Bennets after one, while some of the more determined dumba$$'s were all " I can do this, I just need to remember how to stack". By the next run we where all on heavenly buttah cream that was Bennett's bowl. After several there, we moved on to the now slightly softer Roulette for many's.  I got frustrated by the ever increasing glacier building up on the underside of my boots, and on the top of my bindings, it made for a very tight and secure feeling, when I actually could get into my binding. The less frustrated hit 1 for another 1-4.

No cahr barh today, instead we finished our day at the Parson's family sprinter, where the lovely Miss Racheal treated us to a wonderful spread for Carvin Marvin's 33rd birthday, Thanks so much for that, it was the perfect ending to a really damn fine day.

Another Big A$$ mini session yet once again, with 007, bond henchman Odd Job showing up out of the blue , Inky, Dustin, Miss Shelly,  FNG Justin, Kyle, Dennis, Ice, The Birthday Boy, and his lovely wife, and finally,  lil' ol' me.

Til next Sunday, (which is shaping up nicely, by the way)

mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 7

I must have done something right in my body slam recovery because I am barely feeling the pain and aches of that one. Even got out for a couple laps on the Lg DJ line for #lunchlaps. 

Another fun day yesterday till it wasn't. Then it got fun again. 

Happy Birthday Marvin!

Thanks for the yummy grinds Rachel!

Ink

• Like 4

We've had a lot of "best days" this season. Yesterday wasn't one of them. Lightly snowing off & on. Poor visibility, crusty snow. My thinking brain told me "you can do this". My reptile brain said "are you crazy?". Often the lizard brain won out and I dialed it way back. 

The visibility did improve some as did the surface conditions. We had some good turns and some good runs but not every run/turn. Good day anyway (not great). 

So Marvin is 33? My birthday was last Sunday. I'm only twice his age!

Edited by JohnE
New info
  • Like 1

short and goofy

For the first time in the history of our little crazy carving cadre, there was not a single board over 180 in the lineup.  Ice, feeling the most inadequate, was sporting the longest at a whopping 172 cm (minds out of the gutter please, thankyouverrrymuch). What was even more awesomer was the fact that all 5 riders in the lineup ride the most proper, and preferred way, goofy.  Sunday's crew consisted  of the aforementioned Ice, Ink, Mr.E, Miss Shelly, and of course, the excessively verbose Moi.

No chasing the sun today, since we were socked in by snow, wind, clouds, blah blah blah....  Being creatures of habit, we started on the practice field, hit firecut for one, the edge of groom was a wee bit ill defined, leading to yet another slow speed pratfall for myself. I was quite adept at providing the comic relief, with 3 slow speed topples, one caused by vertigo, the other 2 by sheer rider ineptitude.  Turning was increased by at least 87%, due to the preponderance of turny lil' boards on the hill. Snow was supergrippycarvalicous, so much so that I came damn close to stall speed on several runs with all the turns I was making. It was fun. At one point, inky was tail gunning me, and I decided to tighten things up a tad more just to make him work a little harder. Sadly, only 5 more sunday sessions left, next seasons passes are on sale tomorrow, and people are starting to dump 4 packs in the parking lot.

see next Sunday

mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 4

Up to Loveland today. Not too bad on the way up but ran into winter near Bakerville. High winds and 5 degrees in the parking lot. Went inside for breakfast and they lost power about 8AM. Went to reserve (generator) power. They never opened Tuesday due to high winds. Finished our breakfast and waited for them to make a call about opening. By 9:10 the lifts still hadn't started and still no main power. No estimated up time. So we packed it in and headed home. 

A long way to drive for a mediocre breakfast!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kneel said:

Saw todays report.  Am I gonna need a pow board?  WTF, I was tryin' to pack light. 🤨

4'' does not a powder day make, just an early chopped up bumpy mess. That and the thought of a bunch of yahoos a yahooin' over dust on crust helped keep me in bed this am. My jersey cynicism rears it's ugly head yet once again. even though I am 31 years and a month removed...

When are you in? You might have to smuggle in some hard rolls!

2 hours ago, big mario said:

4'' does not a powder day make, just an early chopped up bumpy mess. That and the thought of a bunch of yahoos a yahooin' over dust on crust helped keep me in bed this am. My jersey cynicism rears it's ugly head yet once again. even though I am 31 years and a month removed...

When are you in? You might have to smuggle in some hard rolls!

Late Tuesday night. Picking up kid #2 from school in the Bronx, which sucks but also nice not to fly solo. I'd smuggle a large plain from Pugslie's if I could keep it warm in the suitcase. Colorado has a sever pizza problem, though Peppinos in Frisco is a respectable take on the baked dough, sauce and cheese concept.  I'll see what I can do.  👍

• Like 1