Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

LBC!

For the 25th consecutive year, I will not be in Stuben for the Longboard Classic. But the Stateside version - The Longboard Poseur - was held at Loveland on April 2! Here are some shots from an unforgettable day:

The full participant quiver!

image.png.b24ed01c3c9125d45b11ddb54ebb570f.png

Actually, the Arbor was just left there by some guy who went to take a piss. But all the rest are from the event!

The full lineup at the top of Patrol Bowl! Plus some rando skiers observing the hill:

image.png.060a80c6e37525463a4382abd5dd87ff.png

And a panorama of the sponsor tents! A great place to meet fellow longboard enthusiasts ...

image.png.b2f583f97c0e245afef1f2ea59ba7f64.png

...and rent a locker and refill your water bottle and pee.

Fine, it was just me, by myself, sneaking up to The Luv on a Monday. The old Glissade Big Gun 195 - I really want it to be my all time favorite board - rode like a pig. F-ing awful. The Tanker 186, the 30th anniversary model, rode like the opposite of a pig. Spent most of the day off 9, including a seeing-eye ride down Patrol Bowl in a squall (if you don't like the weather at Loveland, wait 10 seconds) and a hike to the south end of Super Bowl (the UPZs did surprisingly well in the bootpack). And I strafed Mario's Yard a few times because it was very inviting and I could. Not the LBC and not Stuben, but it's ours.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went up to Loveland last Friday & did their snowcat tour. Eight of us on the cat: 5 skiers and 3 on boards. Ski Patrol Phil runs the program. He's been a ski patrol for 41 years. He really knows his stuff. 

The cat picked us up on the top of #8 and went into Dry Gulch - the next valley east of Lift #8. Hadn't snowed for several days but the snow quality was pretty good. Didn't see any tracks. Perfect bluebird day. Warm - most stripped off their outer layers. One guy skied in short sleeves. 

I think we got in about 11 runs / about 12k vertical feet. Dropped us back on the top of #8 about 3:30. 

Fun time. Could be wonderful with new, light snow. 

• Like 2

Went up Tuesday. Wasn't planning on new snow but they had 10" overnight. Was very warm the day before so what was underneath was very hard. A bit of a traffic jam getting to the lot. Lots of powder hounds out. Mostly non-Loveland regulars. First in line on #2. Ptarmigan wasn't open so we went to #4. We were on the 3rd chair there. Lifties and ski patrol had a hard time getting there so by about 10AM only Chet's Dream, #2, #6 & #4 were running. 

First ride up #4 Scrub was relatively untracked. Rode to top. Visibility was really bad. First run down Telstar / Scrub was a real surfing experience. The 10" of new was very dense. Greg went over the handlebars and had difficult time getting up. Second ride up Scrub was almost entirely tracked out. All the skiers/boarders were concentrated on a few slopes. I've NEVER seen a slope go from untracked to massacred so quickly. Second run down was like standing on the back of a bucking bronco. I was exhausted. Third run down Apollo. Terrible visibility. I tweaked my back trying to stay upright. Headed down to the lodge. Called it a day after 3 runs / 1 hour. My back still hurts. 

That snow should make a good base for the groomers if it doesn't get too warm. 

10" of fresh pow at a crowded megapass resort is nothing after 30 minutes.

It's still fun riding tracked pow. But riding untouched/mostly untouched pow requires $$$$, or going to more remote mountains.

• Like 1

Super fun day yesterday! Newb Sparky, Ice, Sandy, Coach, Skier Jeff, Shelly, Tree Run Hillary, Katie and I rounded out the crew. Bennet's was on point. Smiles for miles. Soft turns to be had everywhere! The ladies were all charging for freshies as the rest of us tried to keep up. Just a great day to be on the hill. Id like to thank the guys that wrecked on 70 just above Silver Plume for keep the crowds down! See you in May?!!!

• Like 2