Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

Cdot board at morrison road:

WB I 70 closed at MM218 due to Blizzard conditions. Expect long delays.

Not what you want to see at 5am. Turned around and went back to bed

No mention of accidents due to lack of snow tires. Passenger vehicle traction law wasn't even in effect

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Sad 1

Sunday Funday 1/21/24

Happy Birthday Iceman! joined by Mario, Ink, Dennis, Katie and I with New Hillary and New Old Guy Deven. It was low vis up top but soft and friendly carving with some fun to be had in the trees. Chet's to Ptarmigan to 6 and back to Chet's was the tempo for the day with 3-5 on each. I thought Richards and the bottom of Roulette offered the best terrain while Katie and Hillary found the stash in the trees off 6. I slapped into a toeside Mario rut at one point on Ptarmigan that nearly sent me... Thankfully, I recovered without incident. I did locate some missing children at the bottom of that trench though, that were later reunited with their group. All in, a fun day with Birthday Laps food and drink in the Rathskellar. Can't wait to do it again! Kevin cannot buy fries on his Birthday ever again and thanks for sharing a Pitcher with us Dennis!

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2024 at 8:20 AM, JohnE said:

Juwan - Greg & I & Arne (I think) are heading to Loveland tomorrow. Can you join us?

I could not go. I just recovered today. Tomorrow may be my first day back since Thursday. Got some nasty Summit County Wook virus, dirty bastards....

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Odd Job said:

I could not go. I just recovered today. Tomorrow may be my first day back since Thursday. Got some nasty Summit County Wook virus, dirty bastards....

I'll be joining you guys on Sunday and will be in Summit County for the week.

Now I know who not to ride the lift with 😬🤧

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody!

So, like the rest of the country, really hasn't felt much like winter, so I haven't been posting much, since it would've mostly been rants about kooks, lack of terrain, and gee, we could really use more snow. Lance, thanks for stepping up in the interim.  Finally feeling like winter, with most of the crowds dispersed on the rest of the mountain, searching for gnar off of of 4, 8, and 9, and the kantexahomans over at the valley shredding the terrain off of 7 and the magic carpet.

Most excellent crew out today, with the usual stalwarts Ice, Ink, Dt, Sandy, returning nutcase vet oddjob, and myself, were joined by  western sloper Carvin Marvin.  We laid waste to the usual runs off of ptarmidgen, 6, and chets.  Our aging, beatup bodies called it after a few hours, we even skipped our usual post ride recovery libations in order to get down the hill before the superbowl shit show started ramping up. Still one of the better days of the season with fairly firm even groom, though there are a few soft spots, Inky watched my boots disappear on a particularly nasty toeside.  A few runs are still a bit uneven, but with more grooming that should even out and disappear.

New thirst XCM is pure money, btw. Me likey, alot!

Mario   

• Like 9

Left at 7:20 ish, it was nice to drive up in daylight.  Pulled in to a half full Race lot because:

Colorado Highschool State finals race🤮

Lots of fencing up, so no ziggin and zaggin, just jumped right in, though I stopped quite a bit to actually warm up.  First 3 where fine, worked on hand management and cleaning up my healy, tracks got cleaner and cleaner each successive run. I pulled up at the top of the roller by mid station, looked behind me, and promptly shat my trousers. A line of tucked teenaged racers were closing fast, oblivious to the public on the slopes, got buzzed again on lower zigzag. Pulled into the liftline, and a coach asked to ride with me.  Asked him what was going on, he told me " State Championships", I shared my experience on the previous run.  He was not happy, "they are not supposed to be doing that" and promptly got on the radio with the rest of the coaches and patrol. Got off the lift and started waiting as each full chair vomited off another complement of racers. A crusty old patroller came out of the lift shack, ambled over, and promptly positioned himself at the top of the run and dressed down every racer grommet going by to watch their speed, this is not a closed course, you are riding with the public, and to save it for the course. It was beautiful.  waited about 15, and after the last group of wannabes were disgorged,  I started the rest of morning.  Lots of comments from the older folk( apparently i am now part of that demographic) about the group that rides on sunday, about how awesome they are. I, rather bashfully, informed them that I was one of them.  It was glorious, right up until my legs informed me, that, yeah, you're done.

see you sunday,

Mario

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The time of the season where everyone is out. We have all seen many recent collisions with carvers. And the misconceptions people have about all of us making radius turns and how to avoid the downhill “skier” and we are using the whole mountain. Glad you were not clipped. Racers need to hear it the most. There is no hope for the general public. I feel like everyone has become a NPC game character and are absolutely clueless. Sunday funday! 

Edited by slopestar

I was stopping a lot, with nearly continuous 6 checks. I was not after nonstops yesterday, i was on a different mission. No short board tomorrow, the larger volume of turns = greater time on the run = increased chance of getting whacked. I couldn't believe how many i laid down on spillway last week, but I'm not willing to risk that on a holiday weekend.  probably just cursed myself.

On 2/16/2024 at 4:53 PM, big mario said:

Colorado Highschool State finals race🤮

A line of tucked teenaged racers were closing fast, oblivious to the public on the slopes

And then this: https://kdvr.com/news/local/skier-pronounced-dead-on-loveland-ski-area-slopes/amp/

Friday, 1:20pm over on Double Dip.  Not much detail, but…

greetings from new mexico, where 188 inches has fallen at ski sante fe this year.

i'm looking for some used carving boots for a friend, size 10.

i'm trying to increase the number of carvers at our local hill from 2 to 3 . . .

many thanks.  text 720  nine three nine 8275.

cheers -

• Like 1

2/25/24 

Katie and I, Mario, Sandy, NSFNG, Kahn +1 followed by This Guy I know... Looked amazing but a late Saturday thaw followed by a nighttime freeze made it look way better than it was. Chunky and rutted. Fire bowl had most of us barely hanging on after the first run of the day. We disbanded almost immediately with folks heading up 4 after 1 on Ptarmigan. Katie and i headed over to 1 for a minute then checked out a short bus. It was good and This Guy I know joined the fun for a few good laps before consecutive days took its toll and we checked out. 

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, slopestar said:

2/25/24 

Katie and I, Mario, Sandy, NSFNG, Kahn +1 followed by This Guy I know... Looked amazing but a late Saturday thaw followed by a nighttime freeze made it look way better than it was. Chunky and rutted. Fire bowl had most of us barely hanging on after the first run of the day. We disbanded almost immediately with folks heading up 4 after 1 on Ptarmigan. Katie and i headed over to 1 for a minute then checked out a short bus. It was good and This guy i Know joined the fun for a few good laps before consecutive days took its toll and we checked out. 

also, I almost got smoked by ski racer kid and his dad running up my ass

Edited by slopestar

Posted (edited)

planning on both days this weekend, looking at the forecast, im just heading to the race lot tomorrow morning to stay out of the wind. 
Chief instigator of the Loon Goons, Mr. John Deere will be joining us this weekend, as well as Monodude  on Sunday.

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, big mario said:

planning on both days this weekend, looking at the forecast, im just heading to the race lot tomorrow morning to stay out of the wind. 
Chief instigator of the Loon Goons, Mr. John Deere will be joining us this weekend, as well as Monodude  on Sunday.

Mario

A man of Asian origins I know  Loves D Lot. Tomorrow looks to be the better carving day with new snow on Sunday. Wouldn't miss a few turns with the Dude so we will likely see you Sunday. Have to save some for Mammoth next week

Edited by slopestar