Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

After 25 years of snowboarding, I have learned to accept that I can't skate for shit. But I have learned to focus on my ever increasing aptitude at pushing buttons with my unmitigated gaul.

You guys might trench the runs, but I'm carving up the off ramps.

Edited by Mr.E
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

For anyone scratching their head- I'm a goofy rider, and I don't make right hand turns well while exiting the chair. My shame, but whatever. So if I want to join my friends off lift right, I drag my foot, do a little circle, and skate over to them. I do my little jig well and can proudly dismount any chairlift I've encountered across the nation and on two continents.

Apparently me dragging my foot "messes up the off ramp" and I am now breaking the rider/ lifty agreement to leave the off-ramp better than I found it. I tried to polietly explain that I was sorry for my deficiencies, but that I was unfortunately going to drag that foot every single time I disembarked. 

On the next trip, I got a wicked stink eye. On the second trip had two lifties give me the stink eye. From then on the chair slowed to a crawl when my head crested the horizon. As it lumbered to the ramp I stood, waved, and continued to drag my foot and do my little jig. Sorry, dude, this bad habit is older than you are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Mr.E
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Last Friday was one of the best days of the season (for a season that has had lots of great days)!

We avoided our routine of heading to #8 and stayed on #4. We got 4 great powder runs on Gemini. About 5" of new soft snow on top of a very nice base. They then opened #9 and we got 2 great powder runs under the top of the lift. We then traversed over to Rookie Road for some carving but then the clouds came in and ruined that idea. 

We then bounced around Ptarmigan and #6 for some great runs - mostly carving. 

Yesterday was quite interesting. It rained heavily in Denver. By the time we got to the Loveland parking lot they had about 5" new heavy snow. It was hovering around freezing most of the day but none of the new snow had frozen. The humidity must have been above 90%. We had some very nice runs - a mix of new snow and soft carving. By about 11AM the snow had gotten pretty cut up and we were dealing with cut up mashed potatoes. The snow that fell Tuesday night should make for some great groom if it doesn't freeze. 

It's supposed to be 80 degrees in Denver on Sunday. If the snow up there freezes over night it will make for some really unpleasant conditions. If they don't get more snow, the end of the season could be pretty grim. 

13 hours ago, JohnE said:

How were conditions over the weekend?

Saturday was warm. Mixed and variable is what I would call the conditions. Sandy and I did 6 or 7 fast ones... met up with Moose and his entourage for a hot lap on six...

waiting to hear what Sunday was like. Pulled the trigger on our Ikon passes so maybe a few WP days are to be had post LCI

the day started with much promise, easy drive despite a late start, sunshine. temps in the mid thirties, I had to change my goggle lens back to brite light, and I skipped  most of my base and intermediate layers. life was looking good.  Then I got off of ptarmagin.  double extra firm to slushie. We made due, waiting for the sun to work its magic, right up until it didnt.  Mere moments before 10, the front came in, temps dropped a million degrees, the lights went out, and hurricane force winds started howling up the hill. I was already having an off day, which I will chalk up to my second dose of moderna on saturday. I just called it, headed for the barn, I was not feeling the love at the luv.

Those that had the courage to gut it out for another run or 2:

The Double D's, Derek and Dustin, Dennis, Ice, Kyle, Mr.E, and Mr. RadAir.

1 more sunday left...

Edited by big mario
  • Like 2

On Sunday morning about 10AM I started riding my bike toward Boulder. Very dark skies in the west. Thunderbolts over the Indian Peaks. 

I modified my route to head south, then east. People were pulling off the road to photo the big front moving in. I rode hard to head back home. About 1.5 miles from home (around 11:30) I started getting pelted by hail. I took shelter under a carport waiting for the front to pass. After about 1/2 hour, I proceeded home in pouring, cold rain.  

This must have been the front that hit the Divide around 10AM. It was a monster. Very strange weather for May 2nd. 

On 5/3/2021 at 9:27 AM, slopestar said:

Saturday was warm. Mixed and variable is what I would call the conditions. Sandy and I did 6 or 7 fast ones... met up with Moose and his entourage for a hot lap on six...

waiting to hear what Sunday was like. Pulled the trigger on our Ikon passes so maybe a few WP days are to be had post LCI

They just extended the season on MJ until May 16th so...

And of course ABasin after that

Good group of maybe 10 or 12. The snow was firm on top of packed corn. Better late season grooming, but it was freeze/ thaw. Still, if you pushed a bit you could grip and rip (or fight it and bite it). Really great morning easing into a bit of flat light. Some vintage decks made an appearance. The group was off the hill before the parking lot bar decided to ride out the afternoon.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

pre season meet up: 

SUPERSUCKERS / BORN WITH A TAIL - Directed by Rocky Schenck - YouTube

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=reno+divorce&docid=608002159021603412&mid=92C5F82E419069EBCBBC92C5F82E419069EBCBBC&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

So after some drunken carousing Friday night, I checked out the lineup at the oriental theater for the coming months and found this show:

https://www.theorientaltheater.com/event/374268/Supersuckers

If'n there is enough interest, I might be convinced to fire up the smoker for a bit of pregaming...

Get in touch with your inner Greaser Punk and let me know

mario

PS.  Wear clean underwear 'cause they'll rock your pants off

Edited by big mario
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Definitely been a while. I meant to update yall a tad (a couple months) sooner but life happens and I took a job at my old camp! Tech Free Days have been absolutely glorious, and the leg has been healing up magnificently. The season prior still on my mind, the season upcoming soon to take its place. I’m quite excited to ride again, and although it may be hard to ride with yall unless i’m back, i am beyond grateful for everything yall have done for me. I can’t wait to see yall around! 

• Thanks 3

• 2 months later...