Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

A balmy +5f when we finished up late this am due to wind and temperature holds and growing crowds. This season has been a hella interesting one, the secrets out, people are tired of the epic shitshow, as well as the icon pass, and are finding our big little no frills mountain, all of the lots have been full this season, and with that, we have lost some of the " at your own risk vibe" that we used to have, with the lack of fall restraints eliminated and replaced with bars, as well as all of the wind and temperature holds we are now experiencing... Back in the day, it seems that the lifts never stopped spinning, I have spot of frostbite on my right cheek from that brutal NNW wind howling down from the ridge. 4, 8, and reload were all shut down today, which sent loads of people down to 3 hours before the usual crush. It saddens me.

It was still an excellent day, despite my lamentations to the contrary.  The crew was split this morning, with Lance, Katie, Ice, Mr. E, and myself starting at the valley,  and Derek, Dustin, and Shelly starting at the basin. The 3 stragglers came to there senses after a few, and joined us. The snow was fantastic, but viz was a little interesting at times. The wind was gusting uphill, and bringing clouds of snow with it. This nearly caused some vomit inducing vertigo for me.  Whilst riding by braille,  a few of us found some unexpected windrow rollers groomed into the slope, finding our knees in our chest a few times, causing a few wipeouts.  Good times, really good times. Cannot wait to do it again

mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 4

I stayed and did 4 more. I was having too much fun to stop and at 11:30 everyone left as they reset the racecourse and the “new normal”crowd went in for a snack or just got out of the cold. I was making up for sucking the last 4-6 weeks. It was redemption day...afterwards, katie and I went to our property in Blackhawk to ponder our next moves. It was a very good day

• Like 4

1 hour ago, slopestar said:

I was making up for sucking the last 4-6 weeks. It was redemption day...

ahhh, yeahno. have you ever seen your rideing...no suckage there for reals...

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

greetings from new mexico.

i was at taos today, which is known for steeps, bumps, trees, and cliffs.  it also has excellent carving.

i was on lift 8, which heads up right next to the west basin ridge, doing 15 minute laps on excellent groomers.  no lift lines, huge windows.  admittedly, this was a thursday, so i don't know what the weekend is like.

i don't know about accomodations, but you can sleep in the parking lot.  must have been 30 vehicles there, from low rent to custom busses. 

something to think about.

vansion.jpg

• Like 7

On 2/25/2021 at 5:21 PM, pcABQ said:

greetings from new mexico.

i was at taos today, which is known for steeps, bumps, trees, and cliffs.  it also has excellent carving.

i was on lift 8, which heads up right next to the west basin ridge, doing 15 minute laps on excellent groomers.  no lift lines, huge windows.  admittedly, this was a thursday, so i don't know what the weekend is like.

i don't know about accomodations, but you can sleep in the parking lot.  must have been 30 vehicles there, from low rent to custom busses. 

something to think about.

vansion.jpg

Lets meet there in March

Astounding one today!

All y'alls that skipped today missed a good one

A balmy -9f when I pulled in the lot this morning, Warming up to about +9f by the time our oldman backs, hips and legs really started screaming. Firecut was sublime, with a mes of about 2. Its got great coverage now, and the cat tracks are now gone. At one point Ink was at the bottom watching myself, Ice, and the kid slay it in unison, and treated us to a seated ovation. Thank you, that felt good!  Ethan, you have come a long way in a short time, way to bring it acrosst ( that's for you Hil, sad you didn't make it today) the hill, now quit doing that weird thing with your hand on your healsides, you look like a longboarder trying to slide.  We violated one of or bylaws, Scrub was groomed, but we didn't partake.  The consensus was that it looked a little narrow( normal, just having too much fun elsewhere to take the time to sack up).  Extra time was spent at Cahr Barn due to the immense amount of awesomeness that was dispensed today, and the need to regal each other with our tales of said awesomeness.  It was fun to count how many laps people were doing trying to find a parking spot. The dirty looks we got while bogarting my spot were fun as well.  We popped an extra beer just for more of those.

Top 10 day today, thanks for making it so guys!

Mario

Edited 25 minutes ago by big mario

Edited by big mario
Put my ride report in the wrong place. Dumbass
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, inkaholic said:

5” new today

Tracked out by every dimwit in Colorado (including me) without an EPIC pass or a competing vaccination appointment. How dimwitted? We saw three separate guys skiing in jeans. It was like they fell through a wormhole from 1981. Maybe SIJ (Skiers in Jeans, pronounced sijj) should be the new metric for kook-ness; "Today was a three SIJ day at Lovey." "Oh f*** dude, that's un-gnarly." On the bright side, me and my 12 year-old daughter laid waste to Mario Yard Land with impunity. With days like today, I'll never learn how to properly carve...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, inkaholic said:

5” new today, a couple nice, warm days should result in a very carvelicious groom.

Tried to get Greenleaf but he has plans already. 

Who’s in on Sunday?

ink

Uhhhh me

• Like 1