Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

Urmmmmm, that was insane!

Insanely deep, insanely crowded, insanely tough. Some areas were windblown, some wind-loaded and were literally bottomless. I was really scared!

Surprisingly not a very good day either. No flow and not really interesting. I rode my SB setup and was actually bored. Stayed on the south side and didn't even want to check out 4 and 8. Not even sure if they were open. I just didn't want to get stuck and die in a tree well. The main runs were torn up pretty quickly and bounced me around on my short Arbor. 

Is pow overrated? Probably not but I've had better pow days and found myself really wishing for a good groomer day. 

I'm almost thinking I need a rebound with my Coiler. I might even go up tomorrow. Hopefully they'll groom some of the runs so we'll have soft groomers to HB on.

• Like 2

Awoke with a head cold on Friday and finally pulled out of it last night, so no Sunday Lovey visit here.  Colt and the fam however went up yesterday, but even with 2' of fresh pow and waist deep stashes, he said the bumped-up traffic and insane amount of people everywhere on the mountain ruined the vibe.  Not a lot of pending fresh in the forecast this week, so Tues-Fri midweek visits should be offer some nice, albeit soft groom.  Hope you hooligans in Montucky are rippin' it up!

later

James

• Like 3

Yesterday: no traffic up or back (50 min each way from Dino lots). Cold (~5 deg F on arrival), never got above about 15 deg. No crowds. Recent snow is great. It has taken the area from marginal to mid-winter conditions. Recent snow was too soft to carve but fun nonetheless. Overcast with light snow throughout the day.  

Made our first venture over to Lift #8 this season. Chet's Run was good as well as Awesome. Even The Face was doable. 

Total of about 15 runs - mostly on Fire Bowl and Lift #8.  

• Like 1

I was a little worried with the predicted snow that it would be another soft day, but I was pleasently suprised. I think the little they got came after the grooming, and it was adaquetly grippy and a bit faster than Tue.

I had an epic time on 25, and by the time I got to the hill the parking lot was pretty much full, so I just looped back to the Valley for laps down there again. What it lacks in divirsity it makes up for in being essentially private. Since it only warmed up to a balmy 5* today, I was also happy to be out of the wind and clouds.

Edited by Mr.E

19 hours ago, Mr.E said:

I'm tempted to try to brave the weekend. With possible snow coming it's hard to predict when I'd roll into the parking lot. What part of the area do you folks usually end up at?

*Overslept. Have fun!

Good call!

It was bumper to bumper in Dumont!!! At 6:30 in the morning!!!! I parked on the 7th row at 7:00. I have never seen it that busy!

Once on the mountain it wasn't too bad. Approx 4"-6" fresh on top of soft groom, not too cold or windy either. Kinda fun but it got chewed up pretty quickly. Tried to go to the Valley and it was pretty much the same. I ended up leaving around 10 since it really wasn't fun anymore. On the way back (10am no less) bumper to bumper until Georgetown.

Though any day on snow is good and I really needed this day it was stupid busy. I can't wait until after spring break when the craziness dies down, we get bluebird days and good groom. I'm Steamboating next week but might make it up there in two.

Peace! 

• Like 1

Last night when I was gettin gear out my wife reminded me it was Presidents Day weekend. I figured I'd not worry about the alarm at that rate and let the dice roll.

I'lm planning to be up Tue and Friday this week if anyone is out. Pink helmet/ yellow boots.

Good day yesterday. Great carving first few runs. Sunny. Not cold. Gregory & Arne & I riding Ptarmigan & #6.

We worked over to #4 and down Mercury. Then over to #8 and several runs on Chet's . Chet's was quite a bit softer and got beat up pretty quickly. 

Met up with a new guy (Wes) who rode with us the rest of the day. He gets up to Loveland Wednesdays & Sundays. I told him to look for the Sunday Carvers when he gets up on the weekends. 

Good day today. They had a couple days to groom the fresh from the beginning of the week and it was reasonably firm. Mid twenties and total bluebird. Parking lot seems to be at holiday levels including everything down at the valley. Got about an hour and a half at the basin, then about another hour and a half lapping in the valley.

200 race kids it's probably about my upper limit, so I'm going to call it. 

IMG_20200221_150011_778.jpg

Edited by Mr.E

10 hours ago, JohnE said:

For those who attended MCC: How do conditions compare there -vs- Loveland with similar people/acre?

No comparison

Scrub, roulette, richards, switchback, and twist with 2x the length and maybe 4 people on it. Steep, big ass  rockin' mountain

That is all,

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1