Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

Mario - 

Sorry to hear about the broken rib. I cracked a rib many years ago and it REALLY HURT for a long time. And I was only in my 20s then. 

Friday 12/20 was great. Not too many people, sunshine and good groomed snow. 

Friday 12/27 sucked! Lots of traffic on the way up, very crowded, crusty, old snow. The first couple of runs were OK and then got worse from there: More crowds and the light got very flat. I think we only made about 6 runs and left the area by 11 AM. WB I-70 was bumper-to-bumper from the tunnel all the way back to El Rancho at 11:30 AM. Looked like GREAT fun! 

Experiencing bad days makes one appreciate the great days even more. 

Simply Magnificent Sunday!  I could leave it at that and say, if you weren't there ya missed out, but being a somewhat semi-ethical character and in accordance with Big Mario's weekly banter, I'll elaborate:

LCI turnout was somewhat lackluster, nonetheless well-represented for breakfast at the Wedge by Hailey, Dylan, myself and joined later by Shelly.  Bluebird skies, light breeze and early day snow conditions, nearly as perfect as I can remember.  Traffic and crowd reports will be omitted however, as they're boring..... on to the fun stuff!

First run groom was firm and fast and softened only a mere fraction by midday.  Spillway was oddly undulated, Roulette got scrapped off early and Fire Cut was a mogul minefield.  Lower Richards looked interesting, but I opted to stay with the g-kids.  As it should be, my first hardboot outing this season was amazing, as I unveiled a new ride.  Schooling me on good habits vs bad, I toyed with differing speeds and turn sizes, realizing Bruce may have something with this Contra theory.  I'm not sure if I love it or really love it, but between the melded smaller overall radius (than my usual rides) and the always uber-grippy Coiler feel, it provided a perma-grin and sunburned teeth.  Had so much fun, an I-70 roadside snow dance was required!

Mario, in the absence of your trenches, it was downright boring to watch groups of novice pizza wedgers and gapers mindlessly skimming and sliding across your lawn, clueless of the bone-jarring slam and ensuing gut-wrenching pain they were avoiding.  But on a constructive note, I overheard a conversation between a couple of park monkeys and apparently you didn't butter your bread well enough before your ollie... or something like that!  Heal up big guy, we miss you!   :biggthump

later

James

Edited by Dusty Bottle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for filling in James,

Turns out Ice is on the IR as well due to a little high speed body to ground interaction at copper right before his cat trip, so he may be taking some time off as well.  Keep representing in the interim, and I will see you end of January.

Mario

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Mr.E said:

I should be up tomorrow and can report back. Last Fri there was a few inches on top of packed, so it got a little choppy as the crowds pushed it around.

So Mr. E - how were the conditions on Monday? Thinking of going tomorrow. 

Well I got in day 4 last Monday. managed 4K vertical. not much but I hadn't broke 3K yet. Ankle is still hurting plenty. That and Planter Fasciitis makes being clamped down in a ski boot a painful experience. I might be ridin the pine  a lot at Turner, but, I'll be there...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, monodude said:

Well I got in day 4 last Monday. managed 4K vertical. not much but I hadn't broke 3K yet. Ankle is still hurting plenty. That and Planter Fasciitis makes being clamped down in a ski boot a painful experience. I might be ridin the pine  a lot at Turner, but, I'll be there...

Glad you are getting some Don.

Yesterday conditions were pretty good. Traffic not an issue. Crowds pretty much non-existent. Sunny and not too cold. Snow was old and thin but pretty carvable. They really need more snow. 

We had a great day carving. Mostly Fire Bowl - Turtle Creek. Some laps on Deuces Wild. One try on #4 (Mercury) - not worth it. About 15 runs and 12,900 vertical feet.  

Really nice to get off the lift, take a quick look over the shoulder, verify that nobody is closing and take the whole slope. 

Pray for snow. 

Got here around 9 and basically linked 2/Ptamigan/4/8. I seem to have consistently linked 2" of mush on top of crusty chop and dodging increasingly thin coverage as I moved. The Face back to the tunnel was a joke.

Does Loveland publish a grooming report? I have a feeling I was just riding yesterday's chunder.

56 minutes ago, Mr.E said:

The Face back to the tunnel was a joke.

One of my biggest dislikes about 8.  No good way back unless they happen to mow scrub.  I hate the face, and it certainly doesn't help that it is full on southern exposure. Looking forward to the day that they actually cut the new trail there that they keep threatening to do in the master plan, then I might actually spend more time over there than I currently do. 

Mario

Edited by big mario