Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

4 hours ago, Mr.E said:

I'm still figuring out the right order to link runs and lifts, but I had a great time

Go up Chet’s Dream, down to Ptarmigan, couple of laps of fire bowl, then over top roulette and finish up with Richards. 🙂

This sucks. I’ve really started to understand this hardboot thing. Great snow too. 
Sucks for me. The surgery went well, my back should be awesome... in three months. In the meantime I’ll just have to live vicariously through you. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sunday not so funday. It was great to see Mario, Arne and James. James and I had family in tow and spent the day riding with them. Wayne Julia and I started running some warm ups on 1 and then moved over to Ptarmigan. It was brutally obvious that Mario and Arne were laying trenches. We eventually rode the short bus for some laps on 3. I ditched the hard boots and the virus avalanche for my new to me oxess bx and we all had a blast before leaving at about 12:30. It was eerily quiet in the Rathskeller for our apres toast only to find out that LCI’s finest, Big Mario took a spill that will probably keep him off the hill for the next several weeks. Fast healing my friend. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out until you are feeling better.

James and family will be up tomorrow/24th. My family is waiting for Christmas Day to get back up on the hill.

Edited by slopestar
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, slopestar said:

Sunday not so funday. It was great to see Mario, Arne and James. James and I had family in tow and spent the day riding with them. Wayne Julia and I started running some warm ups on 1 and then moved over to Ptarmigan. It was brutally obvious that Mario and Arne were laying trenches. We eventually rode the short bus for some laps on 3. I ditched the hard boots and the virus avalanche for my new to me oxess bx and we all had a blast before leaving at about 12:30. It was eerily quiet in the Rathskeller for our apres toast only to find out that LCI’s finest, Big Mario took a spill that will probably keep him off the hill for the next several weeks. Fast healing my friend. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out until you are feeling better.

James and family will be up tomorrow/24th. My family is waiting for Christmas Day to get back up on the hill.

Yikes Mario, we do not like hearing such reports!  I thought Hailey was going to cry when I told her.  Take care and give us an update when you're feeling better, so we can breath again.  Heal quickly sir, and as Lance said, if you need anything whatsoever, let us know!

On Sunday, our group of 6 had a great day, highlighted by good traffic, sunny skies, great snow and warm temps.  Hailey took Colt and Lori to the Basin right away, acting like a tour guide.  I stayed down at the Valley with the boys, but after a couple hours, the teens were ready so we short bused it, for a few green laps off lift 1.  I was amazed at their progress and after checking in with them today, they are officially hooked, so they'll probably be Sunday regulars.  They liked watching me rip little turns on the Twin and both want to learn to carve.  We left the Rat about 2:00.

As for tomorrow, it was only going to be Hailey and I, but neither of us are feeling very well, so we're resting until later this week.  Hailey just said, if Big Mario isn't going to be there, it would make her sad anyway.

Take care everyone, Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays to all!

James

Edited by Dusty Bottle
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Hailey, I'll be back on the mountain before you know it!

It was an awesome day, right up until it wasn't. Arne and I made a mess of the groom everywhere we went. I was completely owning that freecarve sunday, , and like every other board I have under foot at any given moment, It quickly became the best board I have ever ridden, or owned for that matter.  We tore the hell out of the practice field, Roulette, and finally Richards.  I even laid down a few on spillway.

On what turned out to be my last run of the day(and for a few weeks at least for that matter) I brought the board around and was riding fakie on a six check. As I was bringing the board back around, I caught my toeside edge and experienced one of the most wicked WWE bodyslams I have ever experienced, resulting in a broken rib, and a partially collapsed lung. The drive home was brutal. My Honi took me to the ER, where I met a couple of nice nurses who gave me morphine.  I ended up staying the night under observation, getting home around noon yesterday . At least the rib isn't clicking around like it was earlier, and I can probably start cutting back on the tramadol.

Aaron, thanks for reinforcing the need for using the lung toy they gave me, Its given me a way to entertain myself.

Mario

Did someone say camera?

IMG_2906 (1).JPG

Edited by big mario
  • Sad 6

Heal well Mario!  Caught edges suck from the first day of snowboarding to the last. 

Broken rib tip: sleep on the side that's broken. Yes, it hurts when you first lay down, but then it's not flexing with every breath like the topside ribs are. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mr.E said:

Oof. Best of healing!

How busy is it up there on holidays, typically? Tempted to head up with my wife and do some easy laps on the Valley lifts, but will postpone if its even remotely zoo-ish.

There are 2 fis rated trails off of  lift 3, twist and switchback. Double dip has some surprises along the way as well. It gets busy over there with beginners, but get there early and you will pretty much have it to yourself.  And you can amuse yourselves with the noobs and kooks getting caught in your trenches.  We spend a fair amount of time over there, it is a lot of fun!

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

After a new Midatlantic years, we're both pretty well noobs again, ourselves! I appreciate the beta- looks like we'll ease back in with an hour or two on Thursday. Hopefully an early start, but we're playing it verrrrrry relaxed this week.

If anyone sees a guy in a pink helmet on a JJA slalom or black Donek, say hi. I just realized my boards are going to match my wifes outfit, so we'll be fairly cute.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 1:52 PM, Mr.E said:

After a new Midatlantic years, we're both pretty well noobs again, ourselves! I appreciate the beta- looks like we'll ease back in with an hour or two on Thursday. Hopefully an early start, but we're playing it verrrrrry relaxed this week.

If anyone sees a guy in a pink helmet on a JJA slalom or black Donek, say hi. I just realized my boards are going to match my wifes outfit, so we'll be fairly cute.

Missed this but did this! Great to see/meet today. Traded laps on 3 mid day until we hooked up for a chair ride and a run down the frontside. Nice to hook up with another carver and a new smiling face. 

The oxess has been good to me. 12m fixed radius is a lot of fun. Tentative with a “cracked” high back all day but all was right in our world. Really enjoying our kids and the mountain. Hope you are all well. Back up Friday... may try out my coiler? Heal up Mario

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 1

Played binding Tetris as stated but jumped straight on the Alloy DO. Headed up Chet’s with Katie, Logan, Julia and Wayne. Survival mode! Firm, flat light, gaper crew in full effect. Rental line at 8am was out the door into the “smoking area”

3 survival runs down Richards before the clouds rolled in. We rolled the dice and hopped a short bus to the valley. I freaking love the valley. If there was a pass just for chair three I’d buy it. Anyway, needless to say it was way better. No crowds, a few racer types, and the average skier crew that goes right at the top of 3. Saw Eric/Mr. E and Met Walker/Bomber By Gumbo. Great guys. Good times, good conversation and some sweet turns to be had by all. Thanks again Mark for the advice last week at A-bay. Dropping the back knee in and closing up the wide stance had me fitting into some nice deep heel sides. Saw some interesting new things on the horizon for hardboot bindings too! Did I mention I love snowboarding? New friends, family time, I’m a lucky man. 

One more mid week day going down next week with Wayne. We are going to pick the nicest day. Then the kids are all gone and Katie and I will be hitting up MJ/WP from there until Aspen Feb 6-9. Be well. 

• Like 2