Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

3 minutes ago, Mr.E said:

Natural obstructions or one thing, but there wasn't even snow covering the rocks in places.

I guess that new board is a used board now!

Hope it wasn't anything fancy.  I should have added a caveat about some of the coverage when you asked about bringing "A" boards, be careful on the natural terrain off of 4/8/9, make mental notes of rock outcroppings when there is not a lot of new coverage, those sharks are always there even on deep powder days.

Though a little sketch at times with the speed you need to carry on the catwalks, it is safer to take the catwalk back over to 4 than the face.

They found a dead guy on the face a few years ago, never heard anything beyond that about it though.

Mario

• Like 1

Agree w/Mario. We considered trying #8 yesterday but thought that even if the snow was good over there (not likely) there was no good way to get out.

Mario - how are you healing?

Broke my long-standing record of not colliding with anyone on Wednesday. 

We were coming down Deuces Wild and a guy was squatting in the middle of the big face getting ready to photo someone. I saw him in plenty of time. My trajectory would normally have taken me above him but I didn't want to call it close so I went below him. This gave me more speed and broke up my rhythm. I ride Regular. My buddy rides Goofy. He was following me pretty close. We were probably going about 20 - 30 MPH. We approached each other on our blind sides and collided. He outweighs me by about 80#. I was knocked off my heel edge and drove my toe edge into the snow and did a head snap / face plant into the snow. I hurt a bit but no blood and apparently no lasting damage to either of us. Could have been a lot worse.  

I think I'll just keep an eye on the grooming report now that I know there is one. Maybe avoid 8 unless the stars align.

I could totally see someone bombing into the Face run and shooting into some not good consequences (like bouncing into trees).

5 hours ago, big mario said:

Though a little sketch at times with the speed you need to carry on the catwalks, it is safer to take the catwalk back over to 4 than the face.

Amen to that!

3 hours ago, Mr.E said:

I think I'll just keep an eye on the grooming report now that I know there is one. Maybe avoid 8 unless the stars align.

8 can be totally awesome. Especially after big dumps.  Look for the east ropes to open and get back via 4. 

23 hours ago, Mr.E said:

Who do you folks like for tuners? I do most of my stuff by hand, but could use a grind on at least one board and wouldn't mind trying to send it through one of the new fancy machines that can do automated edge work.

Its been a while since I had anything ground, when I did, I used Edgeworks/Bicycle DR in Denver,  they did a fine job, but that was like 10+ years ago 

I know that Sean sends his high end tune stuff to Denver Sports Lab, I have heard good things about them, but their hours are kinda funky, 4-8 pm Sunday- Friday, and Golden is not very convenient to your Fort Collins location. 

Another option is to check in with Bola, and see where he sends his stuff.

I am due on a few of my sticks, the bases have acquired a bit of "structure" through the years

Mario

Edited by big mario

On 1/9/2020 at 2:57 PM, JohnE said:

Mario - how are you healing?

Glad you collision wasn't worse.

3 weeks out, and I am able to burp, fart,  hiccup, cough and sneeze without too much discomfort, so I got that going for me. I had a chest xray yesterday for my Drs. appt tomorrow,  my lungs looked good, and I couldn't see any evidence of the break, but I am not a radiologist. I will have a better idea after that. Been working pretty minimally, though I did manage to overdo it a bit on Friday getting  a safe set in a crawlspace. Shooting to get back on the snow around the 26th.

Mario🏂

• Like 2

Fun day today with the full RunesOhana out as well as James and Miss Hailey. It was short for KK due to sore ankles but he rode well for day1. Ma Runes can’t snowboard due to a couple back surgeries and this was her first time on skis in 25yrs. She did awesome! Way better than I expected and was super happy to slide again. I slowed things down a bit riding D.T.’s 4wd and had a blast. James rode well and it is time to start working with Miss Hailey to get those toeside turns going. 

ink

• Like 6

Good day yesterday. Sunny, not too cold, not too windy. Traffic up & back was a breeze. Mostly old folks (like us) in the lodge & on the mountain. 

Snow is old & hard. Grooming was good. Carving was good.

They did avalanche mitigation on Primer Bowl. This left a fracture face about 8' high and 100' wide at the top of Primer Bowl all the way down to the dirt. Primer Bowl is pretty much gone until they get a lot more snow.  

We did about 8 - 10 runs Fire Bowl / Turtle Creek and 5 runs on Deuces Wild.

They need more snow!  

Weekdays have been great as far as relatively few people. If it snows I think the weekend might be swamped.

Or just hit chair three if it's busy. I rode P/6 for about an hour and a half today until folks started getting sloppy, then rode laps on three for another hour and a half. I essentially had it to myself.

YO YO YO YO!!!!

Word on the street Is that 2 rida's  that have been down, but not out, are coming off of the IR next sunday.  Ice , and myself, are planning our triumphant return to the slopes of lovey after a brief injury hiatus.  It looks like we may have a couple of visitors, Carvin' Marvin will be joining us  from the Beav, and we may have Lonboardin slummin' at the Luv from Paoli Peaks. Who else is in?

Mario

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big mario said:

YO YO YO YO!!!!

Word on the street Is that 2 rida's  that have been down, but not out, are coming off of the IR next sunday.  Ice , and myself, are planning our triumphant return to the slopes of lovey after a brief injury hiatus.  It looks like we may have a couple of visitors, Carvin' Marvin will be joining us  from the Beav, and we may have Lonboardin slummin' at the Luv from Paoli Peaks. Who else is in?

Mario

We need other people??? Not sure Loveland is big enough for the both of us. 😉

I'll be there... If Carvin' keeps me alive at the Beav the day before!

Edited by lonbordin
Dammit... Now I'm excited.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lonbordin said:

We need other people??? Not sure Loveland is big enough for the both of us. 😉

I'll be there... If Carvin' keeps me alive at the Beav the day before!

just be sure to cross my trenches at 90 degrees, and I will try to do the same with yours.  We'll be fine, the unsuspecting kook's, well, probably not so much.  It will be entertaining, I'm sure

Mario

• Haha 2

OMG today was a bad day to hit the LCI. Busy does not even begin to describe it. I thought it would be a busy weekday or a chill weekend day but no! A multitude of gapers, Jerries and their associated groms were out in force. I could tell it was bad when lift one had a line clear out to lift 2. Baaaaaad. 

That being said the snow was nice and firm. Wind was reasonable, and the Coiler was very happy. Got a couple of laps before calling it for fear of dying. Not a bad way to come back from RI. 

Hope to see ya Sunday. I will attempt to use Mario’s trenches as kickers. 

• Like 1

Unsure about next week...

Early Sunday was fun riding with DT, Ink and Shelly and even with the cool Lovey breeze, conditions were pretty good.  Later it got crowded, so I joined Hailey and Trevor down at the Valley for lessons and Hailey wanted to make a couple runs off lift 3.  On the trail at the bottom of Switchback, I managed (with help) to ride off the edge at speed, yard darted headfirst into the powder, forward flipped in the air and somehow managed to slam myself back onto the trail.  Hailey gave me a 10 for airtime (actually heard her scream, while in midair) and -1 for swearing.  Both ankles hyper-extended, lots of soreness and bruises, nothing broken, but I just don't bounce as well anymore.  Hoping to heal by Sunday, as it sounds like a great pending group!

later

James (Advil Spokesperson)

Edited by Dusty Bottle
More senseless rhetoric
  • Sad 3