Note to New Members ×

Walk Mode--Anecdotal really doesn't cut it.

bumpyride

Walk Mode Vs. Ride Mode which is really more dangerous  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Walk Mode Vs. Ride Mode which is really more dangerous

• Walk mode--no injuries
    • Walk mode--injured while being in Walk mode
    • Walk mode--would've been worse in Ride mode
    • Ride mode--no injuries
    • Ride mode--injured while being in Ride mode
    • RIde mode--would've been worse in walk mode

I ride in locked mode except for the first few times out at the beginning of the season. I find it easier to get back into the swing of things in walk mode. I think it give some latitude to technique while I'm in the rusty stage. Once I've remembered how to carve again, I lock the foreward lean in.

BobD

I usually ride with the fronts locked in and the rears in walk mode. Got hit in the back of my head by an airborne softboarder, knocked me out, face planted locked in my boots - stretched the hell out of both fascia ligaments (connects your toes with your heal) the same.

I usually ride with the fronts locked in and the rears in walk mode. Got hit in the back of my head by an airborne softboarder, knocked me out, face planted locked in my boots - stretched the hell out of both fascia ligaments (connects your toes with your heal) the same.

Not that I've ever carved, but I noticed in my ski boots I'd feel those ligaments stretching like crazy. Now that I have the older version of Earths (Boilers) I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm curious as to what will happen.

That would be 'pseudo-crypto-quasi scientist' to you!

We've had this boot mode discussion a couple of times now. From my personal observations I can say that if you think the Raichle/DeeLuxe lean mechanism is going to save you from a broken leg, you're wrong. Just look at the poll results... similar numbers of riders are NOT injured in walk mode & ride mode. (Yes, I'm using the data from the poll to support my observations!)

Riding in walk or powder mode, the 5 position mechanism can come apart allowing the cuff to travel as far forward as your body can accomodate. That accomodation may result in an injury. If this worries you... don't do it.

Riding in a locked position 1-5, the 5 position mechanism is less likely to come apart but still can, particularly in position 5 where the mechanism may experience a bending moment if the cuff is flexed further forward due to heavy stresses caused by a fall. If this worries you, change out to the RAB or spring mechanism.

The same holds true for the RAB or spring system. I've seen the retaining pins break when subjected to heavy stresses. If this worries you, make stronger retaining pins.

No matter how you look at it, something can break when stressed beyond its design limits. I don't believe it has anything to do with your boot mode. Lean mechanism, retaining pins, pivot point hardware (cuff cant, half moon rivet) tibia, fibula, board, binding... hell, even your karma might break if tested to its breaking point.

Boots are mechanical devices. They need constant and thorough maintenance. Check things over. Replace as necessary.

one of the best posts on the subject I have seen.

honestly, nothing more needs to be said other than this, if you're in walk mode all the time then you could probably stand a softer boot.

I rode in walk mode for two years before realizing it. Then switched to riding mode. I was able to make the transition on snow, but I always fall down the stairs now.

Oh man!! I see another poll coming. How many people are injured while walking in ride mode!!??? It's called ride mode for a reason!

I rode in walk mode for two years before realizing it. Then switched to riding mode. I was able to make the transition on snow, but I always fall down the stairs now.
Oh man!! I see another poll coming. How many people are injured while walking in ride mode!!??? It's called ride mode for a reason!

You guys are cracking me up today. :lol::lol::lol:

I didn't see the poll selection for riding ( forgetting to lock in ) in walk mode in Burton boots and having to remove them to get them back to position.

First carve of the day laid one out and I jacked the cuff so far forward it went over the slide piece in the back and locked there. Had to take off my boot to get it back down. Wadded up a bunch of plastic in there right in achilles area, had to heat gun it later to get it flat again. Weirdness.

No injury but my toes got cold while I was trying to fix my boot on the hill.

one of the best posts on the subject I have seen.

honestly, nothing more needs to be said other than this, if you're in walk mode all the time then you could probably stand a softer boot.

I think this brings us back to an earlier discussion about boot stiffness and flex. They aren't the same thing. I believe many people need (want?) a very stiff shell design but in doing so sacrifice flex and perhaps even compromise their riding.

Flex is necessary for some riders to create a body position that works for their riding style.

Hence, the need for a stiff shell (ie: laterally) for power transmission at high binding angles and a flexible ankle pivot to allow joint motion.

So when you say "if you're in walk mode all the time then you could probably stand a softer boot", I can't fully agree.

I tried to write about it in this article.

I'm pretty sure that someone is going to put together a piece of equipment that allows fore/aft motion of the boot cuff, using some sort of spring system, dampeners and rigid stops and... will be retrofitable onto existing equipment. BUT... until that item comes as standard equipment from the manufacturer there will always be people modifying things to get what they want.

I shattered my leg just above my ankle while riding with my AF700s (no walk mode option). The best solution is to not crash. I'm guilty of riding with my Head Stratos pro's in walk mode on powder days, or even when I'm feeling laid back. I never ride my tele skis in walk mode though, but that walk mode is markedly more effective as a walk mode than the heads "walk mode" is.

I love it!

I gotta ask this question, slightly OT though.

For the UPZ boots, there is also a ride/relax lever. Due to the presence of a spring and multi-lean mechanism, isn't riding in "walk/relax" mode the same thing as using a BTS system?

Personally - ride in 'ride' mode, but am curious as to ways I can make the boot softer on super cold or softer days.

-Gord

Se the real question is howmany of us would have still hurt ourselves in a soft boot set up versus the Hardboots when we /if got hurt.

All my injuries are upper body, or hip/ thigh impacts.

Lucky so far? perhaps, but also what ratio of us have NOT been injured in hardboots, and how much riding and what kind ?

A lot of variables for sure.

< 3 years HB, Injury free (and hope to make it many more).

Been in both lock and unlocked, but then again, i ride with a looser hardboot than most.... its more of a "stiffy boot" than a pure softboot setup and occasionaly I'll ride it real tight as a carve/race locked setting.

I find I'm more prone to "almost" mangling myself when I don't have the ankle flex and get shin-slap and my weight off ballance or caught in the wrong position in a transition over a hump, or need to make rapid adjustments (avoid 5 year olds face down in the middle of a trail crying MOMMIIEEEEEE)

• 9 years later...

I just changed to yellow/ blue BTS springs and feels almost like walk mode.

I tried walk mode 10 years ago. Felt great until I hyper flexed my ankle when I hit a small roller and got compressed more than expected. Maybe I need P90ankleX.

10 hours ago, bumpyride said:

Still riding in the walk mode and it feels like bedroom slippers but way more control.  Uninjured and still hitting the bumps hard.  Come join me at Big Sky.

You must have legs of steel bumpyride. Hope to visit the Big Sky someday.

11 minutes ago, matthew said:

I think I want softer hard boots.

Do you have the softer springs on your DGSS? Do you ride with the stock black tongues? If yes to both, the tongues might be the limiting factor. I felt the same as you, bought red tongues. Happiness ensued.

Edited by Aracan