Note to New Members ×

Felony charges for former Bomber owners

GeoffV

I feel like I owe some more background and explanation to this community and especially would like to set the record straight about my good friend Fin Doyle.

Fin founded Bomber in 1993, invented the first Trench Digger binding and in 1999 created BomberOnline, the alpine snowboard community we have today. Fin and Michelle successfully ran Bomber with very tight margins. The way they managed to keep it going and out of the red was closely managing costs. I have run and co-lead 6 ECES's over the course of 8 years and with that developed some very strong relationships and friends in the alpine snowboard industry. Talking with Fin I knew what it took to keep that business a float and was proud of the work and dedication that he put into his life long passion.  

In 2016 I helped run the last ECES. This was the first one that the new owners of Bomber  showed up to in a brand new decked out van, which I was rather shocked to see. I made a mental note of their spending as I knew they couldn't afford that with the margins that Bomber was producing. Less than 6 months into the new ownership there where signs of the wheels starting to fall off the bus. News started hitting the forum about orders not being shipped, the stellar customer service that the "old Bomber" provided soley by Michelle was essentially non-existent. Those in the know that were seeing the signs that there were some serious issues with the way the new owners were running Bomber kept it from the public and this forum. I personally started stocking up on gear as I knew the end was not too far off. Once the news hit the forum all hell had broken lose already.

I know a lot of you had strong relationships with the new owners, yes they may be nice people, but lets focus on the facts. Embezzling money to cover your spending habits will ruin you for life. Fin built this company with passion, integrity trust and had some life long loyal customers. The new owners never once asked FIn for advice on how to run the company, how to run sessions, they "thought" they had it all figured out.

My heart goes out to Fin Doyle, he lost everything and watched his creation blow up in a very short period of time because of some very bad decisions by the new owners.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, as someone who’s been involved in multiple startups the signs of disaster were there from day one. I was sort of disconnected from this community at the time this all went but was connected via Facebook and Instagram, judging from those accounts they were living like royalty.

My guess is there was never an intent to live on ramen, drive a shitbox and work themselves like dogs for a couple years to make it happen. 

Likely it’s one of three scenarios.

1, they figured they’d blow up the market with marketing and kill it, this is common with people from affluent backgrounds that worked in the corporate world for awhile that think running a business is work vacations, meetings, flashy advertising and networking. Dumbfounded when it doesn’t work out so live it up for awhile.

2, they had no intent to begin with, basically ran a con because they could.

3, they were already were in trouble when they took the business but were able to hide it from banks and thought that having another entity would allow them to bring in more capital that would fix the big picture mind you the fix they were seeking might of just been that they wanted the aspen elite lifestyle. This scenario usually has quotes like ‘it’s a business that runs its self’ or other choice BS. Very common where I live, people buy second homes here thinking that they have a rental property and it’s going to not cost them anything because it generates income without significant input, and/or spending money on the wrong things (like a new van?) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobdea said:

Yeah, as someone who’s been involved in multiple startups the signs of disaster were there from day one. I was sort of disconnected from this community at the time this all went but was connected via Facebook and Instagram, judging from those accounts they were living like royalty.

My guess is there was never an intent to live on ramen, drive a shitbox and work themselves like dogs for a couple years to make it happen. 

Likely it’s one of three scenarios.

1, they figured they’d blow up the market with marketing and kill it, this is common with people from affluent backgrounds that worked in the corporate world for awhile that think running a business is work vacations, meetings, flashy advertising and networking. Dumbfounded when it doesn’t work out so live it up for awhile.

2, they had no intent to begin with, basically ran a con because they could.

3, they were already were in trouble when they took the business but were able to hide it from banks and thought that having another entity would allow them to bring in more capital that would fix the big picture mind you the fix they were seeking might of just been that they wanted the aspen elite lifestyle. This scenario usually has quotes like ‘it’s a business that runs its self’ or other choice BS. Very common where I live, people buy second homes here thinking that they have a rental property and it’s going to not cost them anything because it generates income without significant input, and/or spending money on the wrong things (like a new van?) 

I think you were on the right track until numbers 2 and 3.  It wasn't those.  Suggesting that one could or would operate Bomber as a get-rich-quick scheme is quite a stretch, if only for the simple fact that it would be completely ineffective.  I know they originally had good intentions to keep Bomber going and make it even more successful, but they were just grossly inexperienced and incompetent in small business management.  When things spun out of control they handled it incorrectly and hurt many people along the way by taking money for orders they knew they could not fulfill, etc, and the embezzlement.  This is all stealing, regardless of intent.  I'm sad for them but now it is time for them to face the music.  It is deserved.

It appeared to me from far outside the scene that they thought there was an opportunity to greatly expand the business with more marketing and more opportunity for people to demo.  It's pretty obvious that if rentals and demos were more widely available, we would attract more people to the sport.  But that is a chicken and egg problem that would require more capital than they had.  Finn's much more cautious approach of providing excellent products and support, while building his customer base through online presence and word-of-mouth is I think a model of how to have a successful business in a very niche market.

So I think I understand how/why they failed but I don't comprehend why they chose to steal when their plans went astray.

2 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

I think you were on the right track until numbers 2 and 3.  It wasn't those.  Suggesting that one could or would operate Bomber as a get-rich-quick scheme is quite a stretch, if only for the simple fact that it would be completely ineffective.  I know they originally had good intentions to keep Bomber going and make it even more successful, but they were just grossly inexperienced and incompetent in small business management.  When things spun out of control they handled it incorrectly and hurt many people along the way by taking money for orders they knew they could not fulfill, etc, and the embezzlement.  This is all stealing, regardless of intent.  I'm sad for them but now it is time for them to face the music.  It is deserved.

Yeah, my money would be on number one..... the embezzlement though makes two and three more plausible. It’s so far beyond the incompetence of new owner type stuff. 

All this time, I thought the Callen were straight up arrows.

With the poor choices they have made, it must have been unexpected result to induce the injuries to a very tight knit community (in their eyes) and worst, themselves. 

Personally, I do not think the community have suffer greatly as Mr. Fin has. I've seen his shop first hand and even hang out with him and Mechelle and their lovely dogs whenever I can from Vail and S'Thorne. At the time, they were really sweating into their works. 

With that said, thank you for sharing the perspectives as well as the news.

I only wish we all learn from this lesson and move on. Yes, I do have hope for Bomber to make their mighty return on a solid foundation. 

2 hours ago, jng said:

Good people don't steal. Embezzlement doesn't just happen.

I bought numerous boards and gear from Jim and he was always fair, upfront and prompt with getting the goods out......and I met Jim and Angie at TTC and they really seemed passionate about Bomber and Alpine riding.

All I'm saying is I can't believe  they started out/bought Bomber to embezzle funds,  .......I imagine their business plan failed and they borrowed from Peter to pay Paul and it all spiraled out of control.

Once they saw it was a sinking ship and were acquiring illegal funds and spending money frivolously, ....well  thats another story...........

• Like 1

@barryj

I met Jim and Angie at ATC. I'm not disputing that they were nice. Nor am I disputing that they had good intentions when they bought Bomber. But we're not taking about a starving mother stealing food for her baby. Their actions were deliberate and had real victims. I just don't think they deserve much sympathy.

• Like 1

Link to Aug 31, 2018:   Aspen Daily News article . . . "Facing felonies, woman helps others ‘strategize their future' ’"

https://www.aspendailynews.com/news/facing-felonies-woman-helps-others-strategize-their-future/article_9ddd519a-acbb-11e8-8ded-4b3e778dbcc3.html

Edited by Pat Donnelly

1 hour ago, Pat Donnelly said:

Link to Aug 31, 2018:   Aspen Daily News article . . . "Facing felonies, woman helps others ‘strategize their future' ’"

https://www.aspendailynews.com/news/facing-felonies-woman-helps-others-strategize-their-future/article_9ddd519a-acbb-11e8-8ded-4b3e778dbcc3.html

Unconscionable. I sincerely hope nobody got swindled with her "Career Advice". Makes me ill thinking about it.

12 hours ago, barryj said:

I bought numerous boards and gear from Jim and he was always fair, upfront and prompt with getting the goods out...........I imagine their business plan failed and they borrowed from Peter to pay Paul and it all spiraled out of control.

It’s all a matter of perception, I guess.  I experienced a very different Bomber as soon as the Callens bought the business.  Late delivery on my orders, ignored voicemails and emails and in person excuses and promises once I finally did get them on the phone.  In the end, I lost more than $1,000.

I don’t see it as robbing Peter to pay Paul.  It’s a bit more like stealing from Peter, Paul, Fin and everyone else to pay Angie and Jim.  I’m still bitter about the whole thing, sorry.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, workshop7 said:

It’s all a matter of perception, I guess.  I experienced a very different Bomber as soon as the Callens bought the business.  Late delivery on my orders, ignored voicemails and emails and in person excuses and promises once I finally did get them on the phone.  In the end, I lost more than $1,000.

I don’t see it as robbing Peter to pay Paul.  It’s a bit more like stealing from Peter, Paul, Fin and everyone else to pay Angie and Jim.  I’m still bitter about the whole thing, sorry.

Oh my. You didn't get a refund at all? 

3 hours ago, Pat Donnelly said:

Wowwwwww. This isn't even looking like "I was trying to save our business and messed up" anymore. This looks like a calculated malicious scam aimed at stealing and swindling others out of their money from the beginning.  They accepted (stole?) money from personal investors, taxpayers, banks, and massively screwed Fin out of his love child.  A very disturbing pattern of behavior indeed. I may be jumping to conclusions but I am legitimately shocked she would have the audacity to offer "career advice" and still be accepting payments on this site of hers. This has scam written all over it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

All,

Back when this all came out right before the Bomber BK filing there was a long post/thread (may have been on the FB Alpine Snowboard group) where a person posted that they were disabled and had been saving for boots and other equipment for a long time (if I recall their equipment was old they said).  They indicated they placed an order for like 1K and never got the product.  Does anyone know who this person may be and if they were able to get a credit via their cc company?  It would be nice to know because if they never got their equipment perhaps we can help somehow.  That post and what happened to that person still bothers us to this day.  If anyone knows please send me a PM.  Thanks

• Like 2