Note to New Members ×

Felony charges for former Bomber owners

GeoffV

Are we done dog piling yet?

Sure is fun to kick people when they are down isn't it?

since every one has an opinion on how absolutely evil Jim and Angie are, I will offer an opinion on the  biggest mistake the Callens made was they paid too much for a business that was already circling the drain,  and put too much of themselves into it trying to grow it. Anyone remember Fin's announcement at the end of the '15 session that there wouldn't be a 16 session, there might be one in 17? The time line of the embezzlement sure meshes nicely with the purchase of bomber, could it be that the projected sales (pitch) did not match  the reality of the market?

In any situation there are always 3 sides to an argument:

Yours

Theirs

The Truth

so far we have only heard one

Please lock this thread, enough is enough

mario

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cleaned up some some unnecessary conjecture about personal matters.

3 hours ago, big mario said:

could it be that the projected sales (pitch) did not match  the reality of the market? 

I saw the sales pitch, as I wanted to see if I could buy it.  It was merely a statement of facts.  It would seem the Callens didn't understand the difference between gross and net, or were too excited by the gross revenue number, which was an exciting number.  Net profit was not.  Fin lived in an apartment above his factory for a reason.  He was not paying $4000/month in rent.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2018 at 1:17 AM, theboarderdude said:

I don't even think it was an issue of timing. I raced USASA on TD3 sidewinders for 4 seasons, and have raced on F2s the past 2 seasons. When it comes to suspension and flexibility, they aren't even close. The sidewinders provide some flexibility along a single axis, but F2s will flex in whatever way you apply pressure. Ther

I love the TD3 sidewinders and still have the pair I used, but they just aren't what works for racers. Fin wanted to make an indestructible product and was phenomenal at doing that but had to sacrifice flexibility to do so.

TD3 with yellow (soft) e-rings will flex in any direction, fairly generously, IMO.  Omnidirectional flex is the raison d'etre of the TD3.  The Sidewinder just adds even more lateral/medial flex.  I've tried F2 bindings and when I size them the way I feel bindings should be sized, they seem similarly stiff as TD3s.  If one sizes bindings such that one can open and close them with just two fingers, maybe it's different.

15 hours ago, daveo said:

Right. So if he isn't an engineer, how was he going to develop the next generation of Bomber products and keep the business going? Does anyone know what the plan was? I'm just curious...

I heard them throwing around some ideas at a demo one time but it didn't sound like anything was ever going to come of them. Without the engineering prowess the outsourcing and R+D would have been costly and lengthy.  

I did plenty of research on the manufacturing side, VCM , sourcing stock materials, shop set up, plans to do the move.  Made lots of progress and learned a bunch. The biggest set back for me was I could not find  a second person to do the sales 1/2 of the biz. And to try to do only the manufacturing creates a whole new set of variables of uncertainty, approx. 1/2 the profits on what was already a question.  I still am open for any and all opportunities, there are other alternatives for small shop fab of alpineboard bindings.  Ex: you do not need to have a CNC wire bender, a manual bender can be fabbed, Have tube bending experience, Used to bend the tubes for the RL10 rocket eng .    As stated earlier,  there are many ways of getting something done. Time=$$

My brief conversation with both Jim and Angie, asked a few gentle questions, got some vague answers.  Left me thinking , ok , No manufacturing experience what so ever.  Total reality was, you do not know how to swim and you are diving into the deep end of the pool.

Edited by RobertAlexander

2 hours ago, RobertAlexander said:

My brief conversation with both Jim and Angie, asked a few gentle questions, got some vague answers.  Left me thinking , ok , No manufacturing experience what so ever.  Total reality was, you do not know how to swim and you are diving into the deep end of the pool.

Seems that way, pity Fin had 200k bet on this not being the case.

On 9/11/2018 at 1:31 PM, RobertAlexander said:

I have manufacturing experience and honestly besides future R&D I can't really see the problem if all of you have are legacy products with an almost turn-key operation that's seasonal and contracts out the machining. Just basic quality control with a caliper and ruler IMHO and the rest is just running a small business.

I think the Callens were heading in the right direction by turning Bomber from a manufacturer into a true outfitter with marketing taking the lead as a way to grow the market but it sounds like they did it by totally sacrificing the operations side for promotion and lifestyle and just overspent on the wrong things (the showroom and new van had me scratching my head from day one). Let alone the needed operating capital as SnowNbeach expertly summed up.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, daveo said:

I still remember being the first to call them out for being nonresponsive to communication and was greeted on the forum with a lynching.

If it walks like a duck.......

Well, at that time we didn't know how deep the rabbit hole went, so it looked more like you were biting the hand that fed us.  What can we say, you were right!

1 hour ago, Jack M said:

Well, at that time we didn't know how deep the rabbit hole went, so it looked more like you were biting the hand that fed us.  What can we say, you were right!

People can be a bit touchy on the internet I've found...

0bc1yWY.jpg

11 hours ago, slapos said:

thats like lot of skis.

really f.... lot.

damn

And how do they still wind up so far in debt?!  I mean, when I steal fruit from the fruit baskets of the other departments at my job, I save it in a special fruit drawer in my desk.  So that I always have fruit available.  Just in case.