Note to New Members ×

Beware of straightlining skiers

slapos

Just a word of caution for everyone

I looked up thrice and the coast was clear, yet still it came out of nowhere

Thankfully nothing broken, just in a bit of pain.

Skier reckones that t was my fault and I should be happy he didn't break my neck

Stay safe you all.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1-FV90MGlj/?igsh=MTRic2xkeGtrdnByag==

*not sure why i cant embed the link

Edited by slapos
  • Sad 1

All, hello from Colorado! So far this year, I have been out twice at Breck and twice at Keystone. Both fantastic resorts for carving, in my opinion. Two of the four days, I have been taken out by straight lining skiers. The first time was on the first run on the first day at Breck! I was not injured, but it did rattle me a fair bit. The skier was very apologetic and realized I was the downhill person. 

The second time over at Keystone, I didn't really have the chance to talk much to the offending skier as I was completely knocked out cold. Again, I was the downhill person. I was awakened by a "Keystone Cop" dabbing cotton balls on my face as it was cut up pretty badly in three spots. Someone had taken my board off my boots.....zero recollection of that. A lens blew out of my glasses, my goggles were broken, my newly-formed black eye was almost swollen shut the next morning, I got a severely bruised hip, and to top it off, a concussion with ringing ears for 2 days. No bueno. This was all while wearing a helmet.  Been on the injured reserve list for almost two weeks now. 

So, my fellow carving friends, skiers just don't seem to see the big "No Straight Lining" signs, or they just don't care. Look not twice, but thrice as it could save your life. May your winters be collision-free. 

Chris C

• Sad 12

18 minutes ago, Chris C said:

I didn't really have the chance to talk much to the offending skier as I was completely knocked out cold.

Wow, sorry for these happenings!

Are you saying this was a hit and run?!  Not cool (or legal) at all!

1 hour ago, slapos said:

Skier reckones that t was my fault and I should be happy he didn't break my neck

This is frustrating.

I see more staightliners first thing in the morning when the groom is good and speeds fast. A lot less in the afternoon when the snow is chopped and conditions are not conducive for mach schnell.

Edited by rjnakata

Hey RJ! The skier stopped and the Ski Patrol lady(the face dabber!) got us to exchange information but that was about it. I was "dazed and confused" and had to sit on the side of the trail for 10 minutes or so. I was offered a ride down in the toboggan, and should have taken her up on it, but did not.

IMHO the only place for straight lining is a cordoned off downhill course. I can understand the thrill of speed for a skier or boarder over terrain features, but to do it where other mountain users are riding and at speeds where you cannot stop within the visible distance ahead reveals a sense of personal entitlement and lack of general consideration for others.

Maybe ski area signage about the code should remind users about their local liability under civil tort law e.g. Colorado Ski Safety Act which uses the code as the standard and assigns liability for civil damages to the rider who is judged more than 50% responsible for the collision.

Close calls blow my mind. So sorry for those of you that have been taken out. Tales like these sure get me thinking, not that I'm not already riding with my head on a swivel. Being on the mountain feels like driving or walking around town. People going too fast through congested areas with seeming little regard for the safety of anyone - oh, and they don't know how to drive.

He may be looking. I probably look behind more than any other person, and I noticed in videos it's really hard to catch me looking behind sometimes (really fast neck twitch).

If people road biked like they carve on this forum, a lot more people on bikes would die every year. Most people suffer from positive thinking.

Lindsey Vonn with a penis is always behind you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Maybe ski area signage about the code should remind users about their local liability under civil tort law e.g. Colorado Ski Safety Act which uses the code as the standard and assigns liability for civil damages to the rider who is judged more than 50% responsible for the collision.

It's a thought, but I imagine that the the likelihood of straightlining is close to perfectly inversely proportional to the desire/ability to read/grasp legal documentation.

2 hours ago, Odd Job said:

Whose? And why is she brandishing it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Odd Job said:

A wannabe Franz Klammer who can't carve a turn and is compensating for their tiny penis is always behind you.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am glad both @slapos and @Chris C were relatively ok!! That video is a classic example of stupid people doing, stupid things.

@Chris C, When you get better and ready, please let me know! In recent years, I came to realization that no matter the rule or enforcement, I cannot fix stupid and all I can do is change my ride and look the rear every 2 turns. It helped me to see the straight liner wearing football jersey on Rosi's Run at Copper Mtn .......... I tends to stay away from people who has sports jersey...... I still don't see how this is "cool" 🤣

Maybe I need small camera facing rearwards .. "Ski Dash Cam"

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, yamifumi said:

Maybe I need small camera facing rearwards .. "Ski Dash Cam"

I like this idea.  Maybe it could be used in the car on the way home too.  It doesn't prevent collisions just provides post-accident evidence.

My favorite defense so far for detecting "the straight liner from nowhere" is riding with a buddy and walkie talkies.  A quick beep (or beep beep beep!!) from my buddy behind warns me of incoming.  It's not perfect but it has saved me a few times.

• Like 2

Part of the issue is that many skiers simply do not understand carving, and they simply do not know how to anticipate. We are some alien entity, UFOs with a maneuverability that they cannot grasp. Amplified by the fact that many consider themselves fighter jets when they are actually a Cessna.

Check the guy who hits Slapos. He actually does not go very fast, he tries to go around him, but he simply completely misjudges it.

Recently I overheard two women commenting on my riding. One: "That looks amazing", the other: "I get motion sickness from watching it"

Edited by TimW
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, TimW said:

Check the guy who hits Slapos. He actually does not go very fast, he tries to go around him, but he simply completely misjudges it.

i wouldnt say that he isnt going fast.

I saw him when I started to ride, he was behind me for ca 200m.

I have relative stiff board with 14m radius and was going with the fall line without utilizing the full width.

I always look up 3 times before starting to ride and I am waiting for "hole" in the crowd.

4 hours ago, TimW said:

they simply do not know how to anticipate.

So much this. There is a huge demographic out there that can watch you carve across the fall line six times, and the seventh will take them completely by surprise.

• Like 8