Note to New Members ×

Beware of straightlining skiers

slapos

2 hours ago, Jack M said:

Are they the offical rules in Europe? 

In Poland each of the slopes has got their own rules, to which you agree when you use the slope/buy ticket.

I just looked through couple resorts and they either all mention the "FIS decalogue" that contains all rules about giving way to people below you, keeping your speed in line with your skills.

6 hours ago, philw said:

To be clear, are you claiming that the FIS rules do not apply in the USA?

I don't know but that is my impression.  The NSAA rules mostly cover the same stuff, albeit without mentioning carving skis and snowboards.

6 hours ago, Rob Stevens said:

If your observation on the above is the following, you may have just lost the case.

Not sure what you mean but maybe we are arguing semantics.  I agree it's foolish to consciously assert your "rights" as a downhill rider and keep carving if you know there is traffic above you.  If I perceive there is any possibility of being hit from behind I simply pull over and sit down, or stop carving. 

But that still doesn't cover me 100%.  Just today I was carving down a low-angle runout trail back to the chair, not taking up even a third of the trail width, thinking I was all alone.  Suddenly I was overtaken by a group of 3 park skiers - you know, the kind that practically straightlines everywhere but in the park.  They avoided me appropriately and comfortably, but I was not aware of them until they were next to me.  I don't think I did anything wrong, and if one of them had hit me they would be 100% responsible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What you guys are arguing about is precisely covered by the FIS rules. It's apparently easier to argue in ignorance than to look up the rules themselves.

If the US truly has a different rule set (!), then why not get in touch with the NSAA and put the case that they should follow the rest of the world?

I think we can all be considerate and polite riders without rule books, but the fact is that the folk who bang on about rules seem like those with least knowledge of the actual rules. 

10 hours ago, philw said:

What you guys are arguing about is precisely covered by the FIS rules. It's apparently easier to argue in ignorance than to look up the rules themselves.

If the US truly has a different rule set (!), then why not get in touch with the NSAA and put the case that they should follow the rest of the world?

I think we can all be considerate and polite riders without rule books, but the fact is that the folk who bang on about rules seem like those with least knowledge of the actual rules. 

Uhh, yes I have read both sets of rules, Phil. FIS rules do not apply here, Phil. Nor do I want them to as they are leaning towards an unreasonable bias against carving. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 5:44 AM, philw said:

The newest version of the FIS rules (2016) includes a specific clause for those who like to carve uphill. From page 4, paragraph 2:

That seems clear enough.

If you read the full text you can see the detailed rules are derived from the first rule:

As far as I can see that rule still applies even if someone else ignores all the rules.

This rule is specific for carving uphill in the opposite direction of downhill ski traffic

Alpine carvers go across the hill perpendicular to traffic.

The only time this rule is engaged for alpine carvers is for very specific cases where they try to completely finish the carve and head back uphill, like the famous 360 carve. 

• Like 1

How does other deal with "staying in the flow"?
That's one of the best feeling to be in the zone; head check took away some of the enjoyment.
perhaps i had to focus on too many things and only have so much mental bandwidth for some.

this is just my anecdotal experience -
Beginner carver tend to get hit a lot:  just learning, too many things to focus on, plus the turn could be erratic/less predictable for uphill skier.

Patience, waiting for clearing is great advice.  it mostly work in less crowd mountain.
carve fast, be predictable, check up hill sometime will still get you hit.

related topic:  I still think 

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/698001

or openCV type of device have a place
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/opencv/opencv-ai-kit-oak-depth-camera-4k-cv-edge-object-detection

So, today on a run by myself making Carves from center to right side, come over a rise and see an instructor with two students heading left, check some speed and head right to avoid them, I am maybe 10 ft. from the tree line, smack from behind into my Board, I turn to see some Kid, crossed tips and doing a hard face plant, luckily I was able to keep going straight after initial contact, I see him at the top after I waited for him, he shook his head and tried to blame me, I went over and explained that he was hauling ass, had 3 options, hit the Class, go into the trees or crash into me, since I was not hurt I said he made the right choice…he asked me to get the patrol as he had a big fat bloody lip and mentioned his Shoulder has some severe pain… they checked him out and he skied down…glad that no one else was injured…I noticed that while the crowd was non existent during the X games, the tourist were just straight-lining everything to show how good they are

• Confused 1

On 1/29/2024 at 1:18 AM, pow4ever said:

How does other deal with "staying in the flow"?
That's one of the best feeling to be in the zone; head check took away some of the enjoyment.
perhaps i had to focus on too many things and only have so much mental bandwidth for some.

This is one of the real killers.  If you want to stay in the flow, but don't have capacity to check behind you from time to time your risk goes way up and the consequences are impossible to estimate (unlike collisions with static objects).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, st_lupo said:

This is one of the real killers.  If you want to stay in the flow, but don't have capacity to check behind you from time to time your risk goes way up and the consequences are impossible to estimate (unlike collisions with static objects).

it's not willful ignorance of my own safety.  i am at the edge/limit of my carving ability on those run where it's going to take all i got to "conquer" otherwise hitting lift tower or tree are equally bad 🙂 as you say "cpu" is too slow lol... when i do come out of the danger zone (kenny loggins playing in the background) - i was like holy hell where was i just now? and where did all these ppl come from.  on easy/comfortable trail - yes i check my six.

not saying this is right/wrong but what we do have inherent risk.  Life is risky but minimized our risk while maximized our enjoyment is all we can do.  Chicken a la Risk management.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jack M said:

crowded slopes…

Well after the months of AIL Hell I've been through from my collision, concussion, airflight and surgeries.... I get anxious just booting up whether it's crowded of not!   It only takes one straightliner to ruin your season...or longer!

That's why these days I go mid week riding at night ......what few that come out at night, most of them stay on the "Park" chair  so I avoid that lift and the runs I'm on are deserted!   

But even so I'm still such a Nervous Nellie I'm getting whiplash from constantly checking my six!

I'm a lifelong road bike rider and I've always used a rear view mirror attached to my biking helmet.  I know it looks cornball but it works and it's one more level of safety.    I seriously think I'm going to try to attach one of those  to my SB helmet!  

https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/helmet-bike-mirror/BB-2020203.html?googleMerchant=1&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAn-2tBhDVARIsAGmStVkHAbIK2JlZg8Rv_nGInFcAKKoPlEQayVJ47ME_ylydey5tWmSAEDkaAuIGEALw_wcB

Garmin makes a Varia rear light with radar...  not sure if you use a Garmin head unit already @barryj.  My friends that use them like them a lot.  you could put one on your back somehow, attached to vest/harness and it would also alert you to stuff coming up rapidly from behind.  

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/698001/

• Like 2