Note to New Members ×

Climate Change

west carven

• Jack M changed the title to Climate Change

Despite the the depressing general direction of the climate and the amount of apathy that still goes around, I love reading this thread...  Both for the informative updates and the suspense that is generated as the thread flirts ever so gently with politics.  Surprised it hasn't managed to careen outta control yet.

🍿🍿🍿

Thanks Tim. That particular article is paywalled, but a search turned up others.

Neat, I hadn't heard of that. Who loves commuting long distances? I had a couple years of being able to walk to work and the grocery store from my house. It was freaking awesome! Other compromises pulled me away from that, but I'm at a 20-minute commute to work now. 

I also see that extremists have twisted the idea from a lofty city design goal to some oppressive lockdown concept. Ok. 

14 hours ago, st_lupo said:

I love reading this thread...  Both for the informative updates and the suspense that is generated as the thread flirts ever so gently with politics.

Aiming just to put dots on the page. And hoping that when people look out their window and look at the world with their own eyes they might join up those dots.

Tribal politics is not a good lens through which to evaluate science research.

I just stumbled across this eight year old video yesterday.  A videographer happened to be in Western Greenland where a chunk of ice the size of Manhattan collapsed.  The height of it was three times the tall buildings in Manhattan.

It took a hundred years for the glacier to retreat eight miles.  In the next nine years it retreated another nine miles and that was thirteen years ago!

The calving event lasted for 75 minutes and the glacier retreated a full mile across a calving face three miles wide. The height of the ice is about 3,000 feet, 300-400 feet above water and the rest below water.  …

Edited by patmoore
  • Sad 1

Well, does it matter?  Why or How?  When you live somewhere at 8,000ft. in the Rockies for over 55 years and sit waiting for Snow, to go slide, that no longer shows up, when it use to, or stays around as long as it use to, Rains at Midnight in January, freezes and thaws almost nightly...when over Ninety Percent of the Scientist are Screaming at you with Facts while you listen to some Imbecile use Science to post an argument, then ignore it for something as important as the caring for the Planet you live on...

On 11/16/2023 at 5:06 AM, st_lupo said:

Despite the the depressing general direction of the climate and the amount of apathy that still goes around, I love reading this thread...  Both for the informative updates and the suspense that is generated as the thread flirts ever so gently with politics.  Surprised it hasn't managed to careen outta control yet.

🍿🍿🍿

This is because anyone with a divergent set of data doesn't bother to post it. 
Why would anyone want the vitriol that would ensue? 

Oh well, there’s a good chance that we are going to cause the next mass extinction event. 

“Major mass extinctions in the Phanerozoic can be linked to thresholds in climate change (warming or cooling) that equate to magnitudes >5.2 °C and rates >10 °C/Myr.”

”Our findings predict that a temperature increase of 5.2 °C above the pre-industrial level at present rates of increase would likely result in mass extinction comparable to that of the major Phanerozoic events, even without other, non-climatic anthropogenic impacts.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-25019-2

Hence the scientists saying we should limit the temperature increase to a certain figure. Guess they’re Cassandra and we are Troy…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra_(metaphor)

Those who really believe in WEF agendas, should stop winning on internet forums, while happily driving 4x4s to the mountains and riding power hungry lifts, and diesel groomed slopes. At least hike the backcountry for your turns, while it would be way better to reduce your activities only to absolutely necessary ones. Even better, move to land and get into self-sufficient farming. But mind you, it will probably turn out that your cows fart too much. Of course, there's still the ultimate solution of assisted suicide, already offered by progressive governments, like ours. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BlueB said:

Those who really believe in WEF agendas, should stop winning on internet forums, while happily driving 4x4s to the mountains and riding power hungry lifts, and diesel groomed slopes. At least hike the backcountry for your turns, while it would be way better to reduce your activities only to absolutely necessary ones. Even better, move to land and get into self-sufficient farming. But mind you, it will probably turn out that your cows fart too much. Of course, there's still the ultimate solution of assisted suicide, already offered by progressive governments, like ours. 

Flight is probably the worst carbon producer, followed by home electricity. Flight produces roughly 161 times the carbon emission of driving for the same distance.

Lifts usually aren’t a problem, since most of them operate during the day when there is abundance of electricity generated from solar panels. 

Solar panels on roof generate enough electricity to cover the distance most people drive daily especially when coupled with home batteries. My 9.9kW roof solar generates more than enough electricity to cover the distance to the ski resort. Plus cloth dryers, dish washer, heating/cooling.

I agree that self-sufficiency is the key where energy is generated from each home and building. Saves money, too 🙂 I’m in credit for my electric bill several months in a row except during the winter. I guess in the end it’s mostly about money. 

Probably won’t save humanity long term, but can prolong the inevitable end. Earth has gone through several mass extinction events so sooner or later our time will come.

IMG_8983.jpeg

Edited by leeho730
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, BlueB said:

I’m starting to feel that this statement may surprise you, but this is not a black or white situation. People need not be either oil-chugging, coal-rolling monsters or self-sufficient, off-grid nomads.

But the reality of how CO2 affects our climate is what it is. Pissing into the wind won’t stop what’s coming.