Note to New Members ×

Climate Change

west carven

On 1/2/2022 at 2:49 PM, TVR said:

With Lake Tahoe shattering a 50 year record, does this mean we are heading for an ice age from climate change?

LOL, not with you, AT you!

Go and learn water chemistry, as well as carbon dioxide chemistry. Warmer air gathers more moisture when it's over the sea, then holds more moisture, until it gets cold. Then it may rain, or even snow, and there will be MORE than there might have been. Maybe even breaking a 50 year record. But it will turn from snow at 31 degrees F to water at 33 degrees F.

Don't confuse cold with snow. Ever heard of the McMurdo Dry Valleys in Antarctica?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMurdo_Dry_Valleys

And if you really want to know more about it, rather than just being a blowhard (if it walks like a duck...) try reading the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Report on the Physical Science Basis of global heating.

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg1/downloads/report/IPCC_AR6_WGI_SPM_final.pdf

Edited by SunSurfer

Ah, the joys of discussions......  Let me guess...  when this thread is cancelled because of the tone, you will blame me for that as well, quack, quack, quack?

Love the irony of you calling me a blowhard, but I doubt you will see it...

13 hours ago, TVR said:

Ah, the joys of discussions......  Let me guess...  when this thread is cancelled because of the tone, you will blame me for that as well, quack, quack, quack?

Love the irony of you calling me a blowhard, but I doubt you will see it...

I think that maybe the satire in your original post was a little too subtile, and that people were a little quick to assume that you would be so audatious as to try discrediting climate science with a single, cherry-picked, datapoint?

• Like 1

say what you will, most likely there won't be a ski area in Colorado in twenty years, that is an Observation on not Moisture, but rather Temperature, Raining on Ajax at 12,000 ft. at Midnight, in January, is a Wake Up call, that is alarming, after 50 something years here, it is quite obvious...

• Like 3

anyone here remember the last expression session here ? Jim and Angies where it rained the last day...

over 40 degrees in Aspen today Jan. 7th, giant melt down and will freeze then tonight for frozen hardback...98 % of Scientist on Earth know it is happening, yet even my own son in law is like, Huh, that is not happening, Man has no control over the weather...just Fake media...

howdy

snowing off and on with some good dumps and looking at my driveway with 8 inches of snow to shovel. as I am shoveling it starts to get a little heavy with warming temps. almost finished, but still had the driveway for another day. took a break and had a little more to clean up about 3:30pm and went back out and it was raining, temp was 41 degrees...  last week was cold… Farmers’ Almanac "flip-flop conditions"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Another one was here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2022/03/18/antarctica-heat-wave-climate-change/

record "heat" now... (heat is in quotes as it is still below freezing, so not heat.. its all relative to mammals and all) also: "the South Pole observed just observed its coldest April to September period on record last year, with an average temperature of minus-78 degrees (minus-61 Celsius)". Not an insignificant 8 month time period ...

The aspect of the South Pole being a coldest ever time and also a warmest time ever within a single year are, I would argue,  signs of the Earths conveyor belt slowing.... this is one of the first signs of such an event. I have touched on this aspect earlier...

This is also a nuanced subject. As an example, as the world looks to reduce pollution and yet be global, they often overlook some aspects: https://newatlas.com/shipping-pollution/11526/

Each of these super cargo ships pollution is equal to 50 million cars.... Maybe make more domestic? Wood products alone, sourced in the Americas for timber, sent to China, and then purchased back in the Americas alone...  Well, we can do the math on that ....

let's add some more perspective ... there are 90,000 cargo ships traveling the seas currently....

In a single year 15 of the largest cargo ships produce the same amount of pollution as all the cars in the entire world... And this does not address any other form of transport..... So, again... this has nuances bigger than reduced driving.  I don't offer a solution other than maybe to consume local more...  Shutting down pipelines and shipping oil at the above figures doesn't seem to be helping if reduction is the goal...

If the conveyor belt theory holds true, as I believe that to be, then the desalination means I expect more of the record cold as well as the elevated heat maps to become more common.....  

When people tell Neil deGrasse Tyson that they don't believe in Global Warming he tells them they might as well not believe in gravity....

A half century ago I was the morning meteorologist at the NBC affiliate in Tampa and taught introductory Climatology and Meteorology at the University of South Florida.  The changes that have occurred just in that period of time are truly disturbing.

image.png.97e6f52a318b8fe612f35e70d401aa23.png

University of British Columbian Climate Scientist Simon Donner posted this three years ago.  Sobering.

image.png.f9052cc9b284fb6b2a825b87df145d91.png

• Sad 1

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/31/many-of-new-zealands-glaciers-could-disappear-in-a-decade-scientists-warn

Consistent and long term trend for glacier recession for over 100 years, late 1800s photo comparison,with annual glacier extent photographic survey since 1977.  This is the effect of climate, not short term fluctuations in weather.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

The irony.  Climate change driven drought being told by a couple of guys assumedly idling their truck for hours along with hundreds of other trucks to get a couple hours of buzzing around lake mead.  I didn't watch the whole video; did they find any bodies in those barrels?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300669151/more-than-130-staff-made-redundant-at-mt-ruapehu--troa-skifield-closed

Mt Ruapehu has 2 major ski areas on it, run by Ruapehu Alpine Lifts, a non-profit organisation that because of steadily declining visitor numbers was already in financial trouble before this year's disastrous snow season on Ruapehu. With Turoa now closed till further notice Whakapapa on the northern side of the mountain has only some lifts running.

In contrast the ski areas in the South Island have had more snow this year than for 20 years.

I suspect the contrast this year will accelerate the flight of skiers and boarders to the South Island. How much longer Ruapehu Alpine Lifts will remain in business is anyone's guess! 

Edited by SunSurfer

On 7/29/2022 at 3:39 AM, st_lupo said:

And don't forget that it is legally allowed to have up to 10mg of rat poop per pound in your cocoa beans!

if it's monkey poop in your coffee, some people even pay extra for it.

Edited by Allee
  • Haha 1