Note to New Members ×

Climate Change

west carven

4 hours ago, leeho730 said:

Scientists expect 2024 would be warmer than 2023, and they expect the trend is likely to continue (https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2024/01/02/record-heat-2024-el-nino/).

If that’s the case, skiing and snowboarding in Australia’s farked…

And NZ, although maybe a few years later. Ruapehu Alpine Lifts troubles are just the first of many to come.

18 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

And NZ, although maybe a few years later. Ruapehu Alpine Lifts troubles are just the first of many to come.

I was in Queenstown during Christmas (BTW, so many Aussies!) and had a chat with a ski/snowboard instructor for Coronet Peak. She said this season was not good with patches showing up in early to mid September. Better than Australia where patches started to show up in late August, but still worrying. Will still buy a house in Methven for ski season, but perhaps later convert it to rental in 10-20 years time.

Glad I sold the life pass at RAL when I could…

Edited by leeho730

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2024 at 2:30 PM, leeho730 said:

Scientists expect 2024 would be warmer than 2023, and they expect the trend is likely to continue

Every year won't be hotter than the last, but the average temperature is going up and up and up, and will continue to do so for a long time even if we manage to hit net zero greenhouse gas emissions.

Scientists have been warning about that for decades.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BlueB said:

We just had a mini ice age over here. 

Thought to be caused by overall global heating destabilising the flow of the Arctic jet stream. How long it stays cold for you in North America after the recent cold snap is another matter.

• Jack M locked this topic