Note to New Members ×

Climate Change

west carven

10 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

In contrast the ski areas in the South Island have had more snow this year than for 20 years.

I heard that, but I didn't know about Ruapehu. The weather in the South Island (and a lot of the North Island) this winter has been interesting, to say the least. Parents live in a no precipitation zone in Blenheim, and they had a year's worth of rain in a week. Meanwhile in Calgary, this has been consistently the hottest summer I can remember since I moved here 20 years ago. We don't usually get that many days over 30C, and this year we've had weeks of them. It will be interesting to see how this winter shapes up.

howdy

normally our weather comes from Siberia and pushes down thru Alaska so this is a bit concerning... Lakes are disappearing in the Arctic as the region warms nearly four times faster as the rest of the planet... the last sentence in the article shoud be "The tumbleweed is already rolling," not "The snowball is already rolling," ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/02/new-zealand-weather-warmest-wettest-winter-on-record-aotearoa

Cold enough down south for about 6 weeks for much of that rain to fall as snow there. Farther north it fell as rain (see Allee's comments above). The cold enough window gets shorter, year by year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 7:22 AM, SunSurfer said:

Ruapehu Alpine Lifts goes into voluntary administration.  This is the operator of 2 commercial ski fields in the North Island of New Zealand.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/300710275/ruapehu-skifield-operator-placed-in-voluntary-administration

image.png.343f57673a812af39bac27a7b24801ca.png That is peak snow-sports season?!  Looks more like peak bike-park season.  

I'm a little nervous about our local bump that just splashed out on a new high-speed 6-seater with wind-shield and heated seats.  Energy prices in Europe are going to skyrocket this winter and the water reservoirs that supply the snow cannons have been shrinking every year for the past 3 or 4 years.

• 2 months later...

Quite dramatic, and completely unsurprising.

And yet...

Waiting just offstage is 3*C warming, mumbling something to his drunken self about "hold my beer."

Edited by TWM

• 2 months later...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/08/headed-off-the-charts-worlds-ocean-surface-temperature-hits-record-high

3 year long La Nina in the Pacific coming to an end. That has slowed the sea surface temp rise for those years. Warmer water surface = stronger storms and heavier rainfall when they come ashore.

On 1/6/2023 at 11:49 AM, SunSurfer said:

There is a current warm spell of weather in Europe that has caused quite a number of resorts to close for lack of snow midseason!

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/gallery/2023/jan/06/alpine-ski-resorts-snow-shortage-in-pictures

You can go now, they don't know what to do with all the snow. 

I found this to be a exceptional read on the global impact that the Boreal treeline (which encircles the earth via Scotland, Norway, Finland, Russia, Greenland, Alaska, Canada and is significantly much larger and more effective as the heart, lungs and circulatory system of the earth than the South American Rain Forestsis actually moving because it's following global warming! 

After reading it I bought  additional copies for friends ........and especially the naysayers!  

20230408_081723.jpg

20230408_081931.jpg

Edited by barryj

45 minutes ago, BlueB said:

You can go now, they don't know what to do with all the snow. 

Sadly I got to visit Europe (Val d'Isere) in late Feb when new snow was still scarce. My next snow is hopefully in August, in New Zealand.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/29/something-weird-is-going-on-search-for-answers-as-antarctic-sea-ice-stays-at-historic-lows

While the Northern Hemisphere burns, Antarctica is not freezing the way it should in our winter. Something weird, and worrying, indeed.

Disturbing trend.   Very well written article,  Thanks for sharing it.   It wraps up with:

High stakes
Losing Antarctica’s sea ice would have major knock-on effects – not just for the krill, fish, penguins, seals and other animals that rely on it.

Melting sea ice doesn’t itself raise sea levels because it’s already floating. But Dr Ariaan Purich, a climate scientist at Monash University and an expert on the continent’s sea ice, lists three reasons to be concerned.

Loss of ice means less of the sun’s energy is reflected back to space, causing more warming of the ocean. Antarctic sea ice also influences the way the ocean circulates oxygen and nutrients around the globe.

But the sea ice also protects the ice attached to the land by buffering waves, and this is what many scientists find the most troubling.

“Without it, the waves break on the ice shelves and cause them to break away faster. Then the ice sheet could slide into the ocean faster, raising sea levels globally,” says Purich.

“I think everyone’s asking what’s happening right now. It’s unbelievable. There’s this worry about what kind of world we’re coming in to.

“Given the evidence, I feel like it would be irresponsible not to be linking it to global warming, with a warmer atmosphere and a warmer ocean.”

All the scientists Guardian Australia spoke to said there was a desperate need for more research and funding to help them to provide answers.

“I’m genuinely worried,” says Hobbs. “As a scientist I’m worried that I can’t find the answers, or that we might have missed something. And it feels like the stakes are very high in getting this wrong.

“If – and it’s a big if – this is a functional collapse of the system, that means we need to reappraise our sea level projections, and that affects a lot of people. These are the stakes we are playing for. As scientists we have a real responsibility not to mess this up.”

_________________________________________________________________________________

The following article isn't getting much attention but should be.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/20/world/greenland-ice-sheet-melt-sea-level-rise-climate/index.html

"If Greenland’s ice sheet were to melt completely, sea levels would rise by about 7 meters (23 feet) causing devastation to the billions who live along the world’s coasts."

Edited by patmoore
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, patmoore said:

Disturbing trend.   Very well written article,  Thanks for sharing it.......

The Guardian is not your typical newspaper/news website.

Wikipedia summarises -
"The Guardian is a British daily newspaper. It was founded in 1821 as The Manchester Guardian, and changed its name in 1959.[4] Along with its sister papers, The Observer and The Guardian Weekly, The Guardian is part of the Guardian Media Group, owned by the Scott Trust Limited.[5] The trust was created in 1936 to "secure the financial and editorial independence of The Guardian in perpetuity and to safeguard the journalistic freedom and liberal values of The Guardian free from commercial or political interference".[6] The trust was converted into a limited company in 2008, with a constitution written so as to maintain for The Guardian the same protections as were built into the structure of the Scott Trust by its creators. Profits are reinvested in its journalism rather than distributed to owners or shareholders.[6] It is considered a newspaper of record in the UK.[7][8]"

Its overall editorial slant is left wing in the context of British politics.

It is an excellent source of worldwide news with several "editions" depending upon which part of the world you come from.
While it can be read for free, I pay a very modest amount each year to support its news gathering.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2023 at 1:19 AM, patmoore said:

The following article isn't getting much attention but should be.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/20/world/greenland-ice-sheet-melt-sea-level-rise-climate/index.html

"If Greenland’s ice sheet were to melt completely, sea levels would rise by about 7 meters (23 feet) causing devastation to the billions who live along the world’s coasts."

For that to happen, the entire surface of Greenland would have to be covered by more than 1.2 km thick ice. It's hard to buy, no matter what Wiki says.