Note to New Members ×

Climate Change

west carven

On 11/30/2023 at 11:21 PM, BlueB said:

Those who really believe in WEF agendas, should stop whining on internet forums, while happily driving 4x4s to the mountains and riding power hungry lifts, and diesel groomed slopes.

True, resort skiing/snowboarding have to be some of the most environmentally damaging recreational activities possible.  Especially when snowmaking is involved.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:01 AM, leeho730 said:

Flight is probably the worst carbon producer, followed by home electricity.

Gonna fly 2000 miles each way to go resort snowboarding next week. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 6:46 PM, Chouinard said:

If you put a 100W heating element in free air, and wait for it to reach equilibrium temperature, it will emit 100W of heat to it surroundings. 

If you then wrap a blanket around the heating element, and wait for equilibrium, it will still emit 100W of heat to its surroundings. The only difference is that the heating element will have become a lot hotter. 

Put a second blanket around it, wait, and the element will be even hotter. But still it will emit the same 100W of energy to its surroundings. 

That is (one of) the mistake(s) they are making. Greenhouse effect does not change the overall energy balance of the earth. But it does change the surface temperature. And that hurts.

But the willing mind will buy these stories, so they reached their goal.

Since the 80's the less simplistic climate models have been predicting global warming. We have 40 years of observations that confirm the predictions. Thousands of people work on this and confirm this, although the message it gives is not convenient to anyone (actually even climate scientist seem to underpredict global warming. They might be human and susceptible to downplaying the impact of their skiing holiday as well......). 

I am not naive in thinking that we can prevent fully global warming, or live on this planet with 10 billion people without huge impact to nature and continuing mass extinction. To me we can actually do with this planet as we please, and we should make it a fun place to live, for us and for the future generations. It is just that a 5 degree temperature rise will not make it a more fun place to live, on the contrary.  

So I try to reduce my impact, try to be more sustainable, work in wind energy to hopefully do something that helps, try to avoid flying since there is often no need, and go snowboarding to  have fun. 

Edited by TimW
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There was an actual scientific paper about 15 years ago about how the 1970s global cooling narrative was just a sensationalised media story based on a very small number of predictions at the time and some localised cooling.

THE MYTH OF THE 1970s GLOBAL COOLING SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS

Climate science at the time was more rudimentary than, say, contemporaneous knowledge of cancer or heart disease.  But I don’t see anyone pointing to the latest research around heart disease and saying “but a few experts suggested something totally different in the 1970s, this entire field is so full of shit!!!!”

🤣

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, BlueB said:

Brown is normal for us, but the hill has ridiculously low quantity of snow. 

Wasn’t just the low levels. Last Sunday it was super hard and glazed due to melting and refreezing. Then it rained overnight and froze again to make it even worse the next day. A big bucket of no fun. 

• Sad 1

New England was off to a great start but it was practically wiped out by terrible rain and flooding last week. Sunday River was devastated by erosion, landslides, and water damage. Some wild pics and videos posted in the Sunday River Enthusiasts Facebook group. I don’t remember ever seeing anything like this. 

SR and Sugarloaf are open again but conditions are like early December at best. 

• Sad 1

I rode my old Volkl Renn Tiger at Canada Olympic Park in Calgary the last two days.  The temps at night are barely below freezing but they have been able to make snow.  I hope to get to Nakiska before returning to New England.

Extreme weather events are predicted to become more frequent with rising temperatures. The article below examines some of the complexity, uncertainty, and consequences from recent extremely intense rainfall events on the East coast of Australia.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/jan/06/flash-flooding-cyclones-global-heating-australia-wild-weather

• Sad 1