Note to New Members ×

What are people on the East Coast doing?

pmorita

We're struggling in VT with rain, only a few crowded runs open and warm weather for the next few weeks.  Haven't seen anyone in hard boots all season.  Is anyone going out regardless or is buying a plane ticket the only option?   Please share your missery here.

Flying to Colorado for another 10 days on Wednesday.  I'm in IT and can work anywhere, so may as well do it where my son lives and sneak in a day or 7 of riding. 👍

I heard Stratton wasn't too bad? Yeah that 30" got wiped out by the recent rain, but mountain ops was doing a pretty good gob making lemonade...

• Like 1

I'm going to Loon tomorrow/Mon.   We live at the base of Cannon Mtn. and my son is there most every day and he has said it's good...considering!  The conditions haven't been terrible but cloudy, flat lighting for most of last two weeks.

If it's not bad I'll go again to Loon Fri. where I hope to turn loose Bruce's Angrry Go-Kart I got in Dec.!   We will see!    

I fly back to Squaw/ Palisades Jan. 8th so going from not enough to, way too much  will be  fun!  A lot of Tahoe resorts  haven't, still can't open for the last two days and another 7 days of snow is forecasted!  

• Like 1

Local bump is now charging for 4 hr blocks of time. Is this the new normal . Have not purchased season pass and having skied at the 300 foot pimple for 60 years am totally pissed that their only effort is to open beginner runs and charge $40.00 dollars for one chair lift and a carpet. Thinking I will save my money and spend it in BC. Red Mt. Whitewater Fernie and Castle will put it to better use ! +12 here on Tuesday 16 inches 5 days ago in my yard and all gone today.

21 hours ago, Kneel said:

Flying to Colorado for another 10 days on Wednesday.  I'm in IT and can work anywhere, so may as well do it where my son lives and sneak in a day or 7 of riding. 👍

I heard Stratton wasn't too bad? Yeah that 30" got wiped out by the recent rain, but mountain ops was doing a pretty good gob making lemonade...

Stratton is not good, unless you like dirt and sink holes. The next two days of rain will not help. I live there and watch it from my desk every day. Friends at Killington claim it is in good shape.

23 minutes ago, AlexJ said:

Stratton is not good, unless you like dirt and sink holes. The next two days of rain will not help. I live there and watch it from my desk every day. Friends at Killington claim it is in good shape.

Yikes, I should have just looked at the webcams.  Amazing the difference that a week will make.  We have a family home in Dorset.  Trend looks cold enough after Wednesday so hopefully it turns around when I get back, but cripes the last couple of years have been heartbreaking... 

18 hours ago, pow4ever said:

interesting to see positive snow report for New England.  Please keep the intel coming.
Today was a t-shirt/shorts day in NY. 
I might have to hit up big snow (indoor) if the warm spell continue. 

Friends don't let friends snowboard at the mall. 😐 

• Haha 2

Loon was  Spring conditions today.....worse up top but ridable........not carveable imo due to "day after holiday" crowds was Krazy!   

Did I mention there was 1000 Race Team  Wanabe Racers  ziping and ripping by on every run!

Oh yeah.......and lets not forget the overcast flat lighting was fun also :biggthump  🏂 

I didn't fall and didn't get hit!   So otherwise a successful day!!

Sugarloaf got a multi-day total of about 30" out of that big storm a couple weeks ago.  For real, I live there.  The recent warm up has taken a severe toll but I would say we are still in better shape than before that storm.  It did not rain as much as I thought it would.  But the situation is still disappointing.  There used to be like 2 feet of snow on our roof, now there is none.  We are back to riding groomers only.  There was a freeze last night so anything that was not groomed is closed.  Several trails that opened after the storm are closed again due to bare spots and will need snowmaking to reopen.  And forget about the woods until we get another 2 feet of natural.

There is always "The January Thaw", which has happened for as long as I can remember right around New Year's.  We always recover and move on to good times.  Except in recent years it seems we can get a thaw at any time throughout the entire winter.  Could be global warming, could just be a change in the jet stream that gives us wet swirls from Florida.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack M said:

There used to be like 2 feet of snow on our roof, now there is none

Same here at Franconia Notch/Cannon Mtn.    No snow even in the yard!

but Loon Mtn. was well covered Mon. considering...... and Cannon Mtn. was/is still icy but ridable!  

i was lucky to experience 30+" of powder at 45 degree North (Maine)
Amazing how tiring it get just trying to strap-in in soft snow.
Even after the rain/freeze cycle Sugarloaf was in awesome coverage/carving condition.
Too bad it's just way to far from "wrong island"...

Got some longer wire for the top boot cuff so maybe NJ/Mall indoor have to do to force me to dial in the setting instead of riding.

22 hours ago, Mr Wonton said:

Wait….what?!?

is Big snow more crowd in the winter time?  i would think it would be more empty in the winter time?

37 minutes ago, pow4ever said:

Got some longer wire for the top boot cuff so maybe NJ/Mall indoor have to do to force me to dial in the setting instead of riding.

is Big snow more crowd in the winter time?  i would think it would be more empty in the winter time?

@Mr Wontonhas quite a few more days than my 2 so he'll have a more robust experience to share. I went with him twice, the first in September and second in October, and honestly the crowd wasn't too bad, but I think it was trial by fire to find those optimal days.  Ticket times are staggered as well so of the 2 hour block, the first hour is best, which after a dozen or more 300' runs inside a freezer at the mall, your skin starts to crawl and you can't get the **** out of there fast enough. HOWEVER, that being said, to snowboard on a 70 degree day in October, shit I think it may have been pushing 90 in September, was pretty cool, not to mention Mr. Wonton is great company and somehow can tolerate my constant griping. Its a win so it didn't take too much of my therapist's time. 👍

Oh, I do think board selection is very important as turn real-estate is at a premium. First trip there was on the SF, but it was a wonky groom and I just wasn't feeling it.  Second trip I took the MK and it was magic.  I think my best was 12 linked turns.  Just don't blink as it's over fast. People are pretty considerate about dropping in as well.  Every once in a wile there is a lesson going on.  You'll be introduced to a new term. The "throw-away run". 

• Thanks 1