Note to New Members ×

What are people on the East Coast doing?

pmorita

On 1/3/2023 at 3:37 PM, pow4ever said:

i was lucky to experience 30+" of powder at 45 degree North (Maine)
Amazing how tiring it get just trying to strap-in in soft snow.
Even after the rain/freeze cycle Sugarloaf was in awesome coverage/carving condition.
Too bad it's just way to far from "wrong island"...

Got some longer wire for the top boot cuff so maybe NJ/Mall indoor have to do to force me to dial in the setting instead of riding.

is Big snow more crowd in the winter time?  i would think it would be more empty in the winter time?

I haven’t been in a few weeks but it seems to get a bit busier as the temps drop. People start dusting off their shit and go there for some prep. I’ve found the best way to maximize the experience is to get there for the first time slot since you’ll get the best groomed conditions. The next tip is to get fully geared up in the retail area before they start letting people in. That way you can stuff your bag in a locker and be on the slope while others are getting dressed/being fitted for rentals. This way you get about 30 minutes of relatively empty riding with freshly groomed snow. As the freaks start trickling in it gets more busy. There are times when there’s lessons and people flopping around that make it frustrating. An hour and a half to two is about all I can stand in there. For me, it’s been a great tool to help me get used to hard booting. I’ve been boarding for 35 years but last winter was my first with hard boots. The retail area opens at 12:00 and slope access starts at 1:00, 10:00 on weekends. I’m “lucky” enough to work 4 minutes from the mall(I timed it) and I get out at 12:15 so the location and timing really works. Being able to go all summer and fall has really helped me make the switch from soft boots. For what it is, it’s done very well. That being said it’s still a mall. In Jersey. Also, don’t listen the Kneel about his griping. He’s  an absolute joy to be around even if he finds it confusing to be simultaneously snowboarding while not being able to see any trees. If you’re anywhere within a reasonable distance it might be worth a try, even if it’s just to dial in some gear or temporarily quench your Thirst(see what I did there @Kneel 😳). If you have any questions feel free to ask. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mr Wonton said:

If you’re anywhere within a reasonable distance it might be worth a try, even if it’s just to dial in some gear or temporarily quench your Thirst(see what I did there @Kneel 😳). If you have any questions feel free to ask. 

Thank you so much for the info!!  
i am out on Long Island(Lawn guy lend)
Distance wise it's only ~75 miles to Rutherford NJ but that could take 4+ hours one way /cry....
Slope Access 6 Pack seems reasonable.

8 hours ago, pow4ever said:

Thank you so much for the info!!  
i am out on Long Island(Lawn guy lend)
Distance wise it's only ~75 miles to Rutherford NJ but that could take 4+ hours one way /cry....
Slope Access 6 Pack seems reasonable.

My wife is from the Island of Length so I’m familiar with the horrors of traveling it. I go with the 6 pack to save a few bucks. if you’re gonna give it a try maybe buy a single pass to see if you like it before committing to a 6 pack. 

Just got back from 3 days at Snowshoe Mountain in WV. Only about 60% open, and far from prime conditions, but every trail was carvable, and lots and lots of curvy lines were left in the snow. (Had a ridiculous amount of interest in the board this week - there are always a few curious questions in the lift line, but I literally had people following me on the slopes, expressing admiration and amazement at the MK's carving ability, and just being overall excited to see what an alpine board does!)

Winter in the mid-Atlantic is always fickle, but if you're in that region, it's worth keeping an eye on Snowshoe, and making a (mid-week) trip when the temps are right and the rain is not too recent. 🙂

Edited by jim_s