Note to New Members ×

DUALITY Video Series

nevingalmarini

Nevin you are tha Man!    Love your riding style and there's a lot to analyze and discern from seeing your technique in slow motion.

Beautifully done photography also!

For us techno geeks could you tell us  the specs on your board, boots, bindings and plate?            All stock or modified?

12 hours ago, nevingalmarini said:

first three parts of my new mini videoseries:

These first 3 are a beautiful visual experience.    Could I suggest that you could make a series just out of the 1st video alone where we See and Hear your analysis on how and what you are doing to create that signature Nevin style and technique!!. 

Again,  Thanks for sharing on our forum!   .... and please let us know if you are ever coming to this side of the pond for a carver event or camp!!!! 

I do not see a lot of body movements during the course of any of your videos and it appears that your shoulders are more aligned with your bindings than perpendicular to the long axis of the board. Is that part of the “racing” technique and you are just more comfortable in that stance OR is that your comfortable stance that you learned to excel with?

16 hours ago, Chouinard said:

I do not see a lot of body movements during the course of any of your videos and it appears that your shoulders are more aligned with your bindings than perpendicular to the long axis of the board. Is that part of the “racing” technique and you are just more comfortable in that stance OR is that your comfortable stance that you learned to excel with?

That was interesting to read that somebody else had some of the same impressions that I had.  There were a couple of things in the videos that went into cognitive dissonance with my understanding of the techniques laid out in the tech articles and forms that we typically teach on this site (freecarving).  Case in point is in the "Moon" video (which is awesome) and the turn at 0:21. Maybe it is just a illusion from the camera angle but it looks like the arms/shoulders are rotating to the outside of the turn (ie it is a left side turn, but the upper body is rotating towards the right?).  Would be really interesting to hear some feedback on carving technique outside of the racing threads, maybe some of us are pedantically holding to the norms to a fault and missing the forest for the trees?

On 12/17/2021 at 9:21 AM, st_lupo said:

That was interesting to read that somebody else had some of the same impressions that I had.  There were a couple of things in the videos that went into cognitive dissonance with my understanding of the techniques laid out in the tech articles and forms that we typically teach on this site (freecarving).  Case in point is in the "Moon" video (which is awesome) and the turn at 0:21. Maybe it is just a illusion from the camera angle but it looks like the arms/shoulders are rotating to the outside of the turn (ie it is a left side turn, but the upper body is rotating towards the right?).  Would be really interesting to hear some feedback on carving technique outside of the racing threads, maybe some of us are pedantically holding to the norms to a fault and missing the forest for the trees?

Indeed some of the racers are literally "counter-rotating" their upper bodies. Which seems to be strange and counter-productive. However what really counts is the lower body. And ALL racers are initiating their turns from the bottom up und applying HUGE pressure on the edge. Regardless what the upper body is doing.

If you watch currrent WC racing in EU you do notice significant differences in style and upper body positions. Predominantly derived from different body compositions of the riders (hight, weight, relative length of the limbs, ...)

Interestingly smaller guys (Galmarini, Payer, Coratti, ...) usually do need to "work" more than the taller guys (Karl, Fischnaller, ...) to manipulate their lines

Edited by wulf
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, wulf said:

Interestingly smaller guys (Galmarini, Payer, Coratti, ...) usually do need to "work" more than the taller guys (Karl, Fischnaller, ...) to manipulate their lines

Bodies are usually built in proportion. Taller people will tend to have longer feet than shorter people. Longer feet (and boots) necessitate higher angles to avoid boot out for a given board width. And those angle differences will inevitably produce differences in technique.

18 hours ago, wulf said:

Indeed some of the racers are literally "counter-rotating" their upper bodies. Which seems to be strange and counter-productive. However what really counts is the lower body. And ALL racers are initiating their turns from the bottom up und applying HUGE pressure on the edge. Regardless what the upper body is doing.

If you watch currrent WC racing in EU you do notice significant differences in style and upper body positions. Predominantly derived from different body compositions of the riders (hight, weight, relative length of the limbs, ...)

Interesting to know, thanks for the info!

On 12/17/2021 at 3:21 AM, st_lupo said:

It's important to note that many of the tech articles in the archives were written like 25 years ago.  They were targeted towards new carvers either coming from softboots or from a "PJ/Kelly" style with narrow stance, knees jammed together, waving arms. 

The ultimate goal is for the body to remain aligned with the binding angles throughout each turn.  Nevin does this beautifully.  He's not counter-rotating.  However if you tell newbies and people coming from softboots to do that, they will typically sit into their heelsides and bend over on toeside, and rotate their upper body towards their toeside edge.  Telling them to face the nose of the board is a way to break that habit.  Often you need to tell people to aim past the target in order to hit the target.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm going to bump this thread because I think it would be really cool to get some ideas/pointers on "modern"/advanced freecarving techniques.  Maybe even the man himself will have a chance to chime in?  Based on these Duality videos, and some earlier videos that I've tried to get some ideas from, I really really like Nevin's style of riding, especially the freecarving in the Duality videos.  Another video that I have gone back to a few times is "Nevin Galmarini's guide to Snowboard Slalom".  In that video, his trainer first says that it is essential to always "stay in the center of the board".  But immediately after he says you have to come foreward on the board to initiate the turn (which seems to be a bit contradictory).  Getting forward on the board to start the turn I can jive with, but I don't think I quite understand what the trainer is getting at witih staying in the center of the board?

Probably most importantly, (I can see my wife giving me an eye-roll now)  is how to launch the board in the air at each transition?  Is it performed by giving a large push at the start of a cross-thru transition?  Where should your weight be on the board when it is launched (centered or towards the back)?

• 11 months later...