Jump to content

Ace Skwal Demo Board


Recommended Posts

From what I gathered from the last Clear CUT nobody got on the demo board I sent out. Even the guy that won it in the raffle wanted nothing to do with it. There seems to be little, if any, interest in the one that is listed in the classifieds right now either. I certainly understand that this forum is alpine snowboard specific and that Skwals might be the black sheep of the carving arts. I also recognize that my company is not one of the bigger board producers that people are looking to ride or may even be aware of.

 

That all being said, if people have interest in getting on a Skwal and want to have one available to try something new and discover the dark side of carving then I will send one out. If there is no interest then I will probably not be sending one out this year, especially given the way the demo area will be operating this year due to COVID. Please leave your thoughts here so I can gauge interest. Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 @*Ace* guessing stock TD3 don't work on a Skwal (?) so do your demos come with bindings?

From a personal perspective, I've never even seen one in action on the hill, and I'm not even sure if my M29 landpackers would allow it (at 13.5 wide), but judging by your videos, it looks fun. I don't ski, so I feel like I would be far more likely to demo a Skwal if it came with a 'guided tour' of the basics (like how not to die 😬). Do you have any ambassadors scattered around that could help you out with that aspect? 

Edited by Lurch
90/90 should make Mr Miller quit raggin' my girly man angles.....
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, *Ace* said:

From what I gathered from the last Clear CUT nobody got on the demo board I sent out. Even the guy that won it in the raffle wanted nothing to do with it. There seems to be little, if any, interest in the one that is listed in the classifieds right now either. I certainly understand that this forum is alpine snowboard specific and that Skwals might be the black sheep of the carving arts. I also recognize that my company is not one of the bigger board producers that people are looking to ride or may even be aware of.

 

That all being said, if people have interest in getting on a Skwal and want to have one available to try something new and discover the dark side of carving then I will send one out. If there is no interest then I will probably not be sending one out this year, especially given the way the demo area will be operating this year due to COVID. Please leave your thoughts here so I can gauge interest. Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

 

@*Ace* to be fair, I won the raffle for your board (which was beautifully constructed and very high quality design), but since I am the Rad-Air rep and a soft boot carver, I felt it would be great to give it to someone who would ride and appreciate it (and the guy that I gave it to loves it).

I think it is important to have all types of riding represented at events like this as it helps get riders talking about different styles where they can share experiences and try boards too...just my thought as a guy that loves sliding on snow, I hope that you will send one as it helps get the info about your products out there and I am sure that any of the vendors going would not have a problem with a skwal in the tent...I will put it in mine if need be and we can showcase the long wide tankers and long skinny skwals in one place.

cheers,

sandy

Edited by svr
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, svr said:

@*Ace* to be fair, I won the raffle for your board (which was beautifully constructed and very high quality design), but since I am the Rad-Air rep and a soft boot carver, I felt it would be great to give it to someone who would ride and appreciate it (and the guy that I gave it to loves it).

I think it is important to have all types of riding represented at events like this as it helps get riders talking about different styles where they can share experiences and try boards too...just my thought as a guy that loves sliding on snow, I hope that you will send one as it helps get the info about your products out there and I am sure that any of the vendors going would not have a problem with a skwal in the tent...I will put it in mine if need be and we can showcase the long wide tankers and long skinny skwals in one place.

cheers,

sandy

YES Sandy I love it. Thank you so much again. I mostly Mono, occasionally Ski and Skwal. All of which are constantly striving for the best carved turns ever...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, *Ace* said:

From what I gathered from the last Clear CUT nobody got on the demo board I sent out. Even the guy that won it in the raffle wanted nothing to do with it. There seems to be little, if any, interest in the one that is listed in the classifieds right now either. I certainly understand that this forum is alpine snowboard specific and that Skwals might be the black sheep of the carving arts. I also recognize that my company is not one of the bigger board producers that people are looking to ride or may even be aware of.

 

That all being said, if people have interest in getting on a Skwal and want to have one available to try something new and discover the dark side of carving then I will send one out. If there is no interest then I will probably not be sending one out this year, especially given the way the demo area will be operating this year due to COVID. Please leave your thoughts here so I can gauge interest. Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

 

Hi Ace, I would be happy to bring the Ace Skwal, (that Sandy so graciously handed me) with some Catek OS 2's mounted for any who might want to try it. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ace,

I would be interested in trying out a Skwal.  I saw one in action for the first time at Schweitzer the day after MCC 2020!  I was blown away at how it was being ridden.  However that being said I’m not just gonna jump on one at Turner in 2021.  Perhaps a Skwal clinic might be worth doing??  Like Lurch stated, I don’t want to die, but with guidance and instruction I would be willing to give it a try.

Thank you for your past support and hope to see it in 2021!  

Cheers!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

we need Monodude and Skwalguy to put on a clinic/demo of skwals in action with explanations of the differences and subtleties.

I demoed a thias skwal from the man himself at northstar in '97, I wasn't a very good carver back then and felt like my shoe laces were tied together the whole time. A little instruction would have made a big difference.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

@dredman based off the feedback I will definitely have boards available. @monodude will be bringing the 175 and I will also send out a 165 for people to demo. I wish I could be out there with you guys and lead a demo/instruction but I don't think it's in the cards this year.  @svr thanks for offer to house the boards next to yours, I really appreciate that! Thank you to everybody who responded!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, b0ardski said:

we need Monodude and Skwalguy to put on a clinic/demo of skwals in action with explanations of the differences and subtleties.

I demoed a thias skwal from the man himself at northstar in '97, I wasn't a very good carver back then and felt like my shoe laces were tied together the whole time. A little instruction would have made a big difference.

I would gladly do what I could to help a newbe. It would be different for sure. I use poles. Kinda like you Troy, Freaks among freaks...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Skwalers are freaks no mater the venue. If you have the nerve to try one your probably going to find some fun is to be had but the curve is different than alpine boards. If you have a chance jump on a slalom water ski it's a lot easier to get used to the balance thing without worrying about the trees that come up fast when your on the hill. speed is your friend when learning but also your worst enemy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I know I am late to to the party here, but I agree with many others here: I would love the chance to try one out, but I don't want to die lol. I'm not a fantastic carver anyway so Instruction would be very important to me, especially at Turner since there is no green or easy blue. If there was I would very likely take it out with just a few questions as I got it set up! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My two cents: I found a Skwal to be terrifying on flats and easy runs. 

Once I got on blues, it felt more similar to a regular alpine board. Trust that it will hold and it will. 

Even after riding it for multiple days, I still struggle with basic sideslipping. Hip-dragging carves? Sure! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I spent an afternoon on a Thias Easy Jungle (the leopard print board) years ago and it was pretty easy to pick up. I believe that particular model is on the softer / friendlier side, which probably helped. It made me knees feel funny though, and not in a good way. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Hands up, who is getting on it this year? Take a trip outside your comfort zone and take a step toward the dark side of the carving arts.

I hope everyone out there is having a good time!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ace Skwal   Green Mountain Proto:  My first time on a Skwal.... I was uncomfortable with low speed handling, I would say that is because of a lack of experience on Skwals but the second I tipped it on edge and let it run,  I completely understood what this was all about.  Stay centered, commit to the turn, and let it do its thing.  SUPER FUN!  Amazing edge hold on the rather rugged conditions that day.  Super friendly on the knees in the bumpy stuff.  A very intuitive board to ride once I got a little speed and let it carve.  This is most certainly a board I would like to add to the quiver.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Skwal riding reminds us how good knees are at absorbing shocks when knees and direction of travel are aligned. I found the same thing, that skwal riding is easy on the knees.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dredman said:

The Ace Skwal   Green Mountain Proto:  My first time on a Skwal.... I was uncomfortable with low speed handling, I would say that is because of a lack of experience on Skwals but the second I tipped it on edge and let it run,  I completely understood what this was all about.  Stay centered, commit to the turn, and let it do its thing.  SUPER FUN!  Amazing edge hold on the rather rugged conditions that day.  Super friendly on the knees in the bumpy stuff.  A very intuitive board to ride once I got a little speed and let it carve.  This is most certainly a board I would like to add to the quiver.

Please tell me you weren't wearing a onesie while riding the Skwal you will give us a bad name and more people will be calling it a monoski

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...