Note to New Members ×

Titanal snowboard

Lifeform

It's been such a long time since I switched. My powder boards are still glass, but they are different beasts entirely and I don't use them at resorts.

I do remember my first run on my Kessler. I hit a mogul field at what I thought was a reasonable speed, only to discover the hard way that I was travelling significantly faster than I'd thought. The lack of vibration from the board had lulled me into misjudging my speed. Once I'd picked myself up I felt this was entirely a good thing: I can go faster on a Titanal board, which I figured is why those racer types use them.

=> like for like, Titanal boards are easier to ride.

Titanal boards are generally more damp and less demanding to ride. My impression is that they can be made softer and still carve effectively. I believe the metal allows them to be more stiff torsionally at a given stiffness longitudinally. Downside is typically less pop than “conventional” construction, although these days titanal is the convention.

If you are on an older board you may be missing out on some of the other common design changes. Blunt ends to remove unused weight, decambered nose to allow the board to hook up more easily and smoothly, multiple radius sidecuts. There’s been changes in flex patterns too. 

I think it is difficult to separate the fact that a board has titanal from other design parameters. I don't know if any manufacturer keeps all other parameters the same if they change construction. E.g. if you compare a SG full race to the full race titan, is the stiffness and torsional stiffness the same?

I design my boards for stiffness and I find the differences between my carbon builds and my last carbon/titanal build not that big. The titanal feels a bit more damp, probably because off the extra weight, nothing shocking. But that is for the same stiffness and torsional stiffness.

Lifeform: Sorry others want to make your topic in to a pissing match. I assume English isn't your first language and perhaps rather than saying "I know everything about tech in snowboarding " you could have said I am "aware" of current tech. The fact that you are interested in Titinal shows me you are willing to experiment and that's something many avoid. Titinal is worth the money if you are a serious boarder and have the money to indulge. I'm convinced enough that titinal is the way to go if you are interested in a new board. 

• Like 1

Ok, my bad, didnt wanted to sound like I know everything, and dont need advice, just that I know latest tech, I use english rearly and need time to think right words...please dont be like guys on alpine gear that I admired from first time I saw them on race equpment laying perfect carves, but when asked about advice, and they saw my softboot equipment, I got rude answers and bad attitude, I was so disapointed every time I asked...Im loughing now that I think about it, but all I wanted is to learn carving...

• Like 1

Now heres an interesting contrast to the idea of titanal reducing pop, some soft boot boards use it to increase it through using it almost as a leaf spring certain captia park boards do this and i think the alloy's, endeavour carving boards also.

Here you can see the titanal strip running up the center of the capita ultra fear.

ultrafear_additives-v1566963779442.png?1ultrafear_3d_board-v1566963975466.png

Titanal boards can be built with as much or little pop as you want.  If you want really quiet and damp board, have the builder use less carbon and fiberglass, if you want more pop then have them add more carbon to the tail.  It seem like the reduced carbon /fiberglass titanal boards are a bit better on the ice.  I tend to like boards damp in the nose with a bit more carbon in the tail.  That give you some good pop in the tail.  But when the conditions get a bit more rugged as the day progresses I like to ride damper/quieter boards.  

That all being said, there are some really amazing boards being built without titanal like the Thirst boards and the Donek Secret.  

We are so lucky to have such amazing board builders.  Everyone of them can and will build you just what you are looking for!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dredman said:

Titanal boards can be built with as much or little pop as you want.  If you want really quiet and damp board, have the builder use less carbon and fiberglass, if you want more pop then have them add more carbon to the tail.  It seem like the reduced carbon /fiberglass titanal boards are a bit better on the ice.  I tend to like boards damp in the nose with a bit more carbon in the tail.  That give you some good pop in the tail.  But when the conditions get a bit more rugged as the day progresses I like to ride damper/quieter boards.  

That all being said, there are some really amazing boards being built without titanal like the Thirst boards and the Donek Secret.  

We are so lucky to have such amazing board builders.  Everyone of them can and will build you just what you are looking for!

Im from Europe, so no US gear for me ...

Im curious is anybody importing US gear to EU 

Well look like I will have to buy titanal board, to see how it rides, cant hurt if I have adittional gear, that I need for icy conditions, good excuse for my wife why I have bougt it :)))

thanks everyone for help

On 11/29/2019 at 4:04 PM, Lifeform said:

Im from Europe, so no US gear for me ...

Im curious is anybody importing US gear to EU 

Well look like I will have to buy titanal board, to see how it rides, cant hurt if I have adittional gear, that I need for icy conditions, good excuse for my wife why I have bougt it :)))

thanks everyone for help

Well I had a few things coming from US to Poland and worked the following:

If you buy from a company the risk of VAT and duty is very high.

If you have a private person shipping direct to you can be lucky.

American boards are for sure nice, but Europeans have got nothing to be ashamed of and if you are considering purchasing a titanal board why don't give a try a SG, Kessler or Oxess ?

Even Nobile in Poland makes now boards with titanal and ptex on top

On 11/29/2019 at 3:04 PM, Lifeform said:

Im from Europe, so no US gear for me ... Im curious is anybody importing US gear to EU ..

Either pay the duty/ VAT, or pick one up when you're there and bring it back. In the latter case you obviously need to remember to pack the receipts, and remember to declare the purchase on re-entry. Ahem.

Whatever I find the European board style suits me better for piste boards. It's a bit like Porsche versus Ford: different approaches to the same problem. Sure you can get anything you want "custom built", but unless you're able to pay for and develop several prototypes you can't be sure you're getting it right. Testing a range of standard boards seems like a more efficient approach. There are many places in Europe where you can test or rent race boards. 

15 hours ago, slapos said:

Well I had a few things coming from US to Poland and worked the following:

If you buy from a company the risk of VAT and duty is very high.

If you have a private person shipping direct to you can be lucky.

American boards are for sure nice, but Europeans have got nothing to be ashamed of and if you are considering purchasing a titanal board why don't give a try a SG, Kessler or Oxess ?

Even Nobile in Poland makes now boards with titanal and ptex on top

Well I always look for P/P,  SG, Kessler and Oxess, are expensive boards, maybe F2,  it is same build quality and riding, but better price, anyway I wouldnt feel the difference as Im not that good, Elan Ballistic SL has good price if you can find it, last year I know you could buy it for 380 eur, used boards are so so to buy, you never know what you got, and after 50-70 days, its life is gone, ok for some maybe 100, Nobile is more than 1200 eur I think, snowboard production is cheap, shure alpine gear is small scale production, but for me its not worth to pay more than 1000 eur for any snowboard 

1 hour ago, Lifeform said:

anyway I wouldnt feel the difference as Im not that good

This is exactly what keeps people from progressing. You need to train yourself to be aware of the differences and experiment  with different  body positions and the impact they have on your riding as well as how different boards respond to those body positions.It's not because your not that good you just need to be more aware !

^

Not so much that he's not aware, it's that based on the explanations at hand, he hasn't a compelling reason to spend the money.

I could suggest you tune all of your stance variables to the highest reasonable level to which your CNS is sensitive, but you won't; until you realize why you should. That realization won't take place without understanding, and that understanding won't happen until you do thing in the first place.

Or until you see a relevant outcome in a different context, then make the connection as to why it might be important for your snowboarding.