Note to New Members ×

Titanal snowboard

Lifeform

Nobile makes really good quality board with high fun factor imho.

They press for a lot of people around the world. 

Swoard is made there, dupraz and many others.

Nobile had a pretty decent black Friday, but if you need any Nobile boards let me know I might be able to hook you up.

Nobile Factory is in my hometown

As an alternative Drop a note to SG they might have some boards from previous seasons that they sell at discounted prices.

I never know what I want out of a custom board. They only custom I have is the oxess 164 only with flex optimization for my weight.

Cheers

Lukasz

Edit

Was looking at Nobile just now, @Lifeform not sure what size you are looking for but Nobile has got this for sale 

https://shop.nobilesports.com/snowboards/nobile-snowboards-race-titanal-sl-medium-standard-2018-3033.html

640 euros for a board full of tit ( sg full carve starts at 689 eur). This is stiff version so approach with caution cause it has a lot of pop if pressed. Titanal construction, 166 in Nobile equals 163 in SG.

11m radius so very decent free carver that doesn't require light speed to carve

This is camber only board no tail or nose rocker. Nobile has this tech called autorocker I am just not sure if I buy it 😉

I got a short clip from 2 yrs back riding 166 no titanal though

Edited by slapos
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2019 at 7:25 PM, slapos said:

Nobile makes really good quality board with high fun factor imho.

They press for a lot of people around the world. 

Swoard is made there, dupraz and many others.

Nobile had a pretty decent black Friday, but if you need any Nobile boards let me know I might be able to hook you up.

Nobile Factory is in my hometown

As an alternative Drop a note to SG they might have some boards from previous seasons that they sell at discounted prices.

I never know what I want out of a custom board. They only custom I have is the oxess 164 only with flex optimization for my weight.

Cheers

Lukasz

Edit

Was looking at Nobile just now, @Lifeform not sure what size you are looking for but Nobile has got this for sale 

https://shop.nobilesports.com/snowboards/nobile-snowboards-race-titanal-sl-medium-standard-2018-3033.html

640 euros for a board full of tit ( sg full carve starts at 689 eur). This is stiff version so approach with caution cause it has a lot of pop if pressed. Titanal construction, 166 in Nobile equals 163 in SG.

11m radius so very decent free carver that doesn't require light speed to carve

This is camber only board no tail or nose rocker. Nobile has this tech called autorocker I am just not sure if I buy it 😉

I got a short clip from 2 yrs back riding 166 no titanal though

Thanks for link, great gear and prices, but already got a great deal on new Eliminator WC titanial - 75 off the price, it will be interesting to compare same shape WC wood vs WC titanial, cant wait, thanks everyone for help, have a great season 

Edited by Lifeform

• 4 years later...

@Ster The Secret construction is as good or better than a titanal construction board with its dampening properties. 

Check out the descriptions for the "Mild" version of the Donek Turner FC https://www.donek.com/product/freecarve/

A few of us will be over at the Moon and Carve event in February.  You are welcome to take my Secret Construction Donek Turner Freecarve for a ride to check it out.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dredman said:

A few of us will be over at the Moon and Carve event in February.  You are welcome to take my Secret Construction Donek Turner Freecarve for a ride to check it out.

I'll be happy to try it out 🤗
Being a rider of titanal boards from different brands, I'm very curious.

• Like 1

I suspect that "Secret" construction uses quasi-isotropic carbon fiber in place of Titanal.  Could be something else, but q-iso cf is used by the military in applications where they need to replace metal.  Last year I had two boards made by Winterstick using both q-iso cf and Titanal (and rubber) in both boards, and the results were noticeably superior.  So much so that I'm selling my custom Kessler.  I'm sure Donek could build you boards like this too, or Winterstick is a great option.  Winterstick calls this the "kitchen sink" construction.

• Like 1

@Jack M I agree Donek and Winterstick are building really darn good carving boards with some amazing construction = Damp as you want or need and great rides.  

The "Secret" is really just that...

You really can't go wrong with either, that is why I have both!

23 hours ago, dredman said:

@Ster The Secret construction is as good or better than a titanal construction board with its dampening properties. 

Check out the descriptions for the "Mild" version of the Donek Turner FC https://www.donek.com/product/freecarve/

@dredman @Jack M

Thanks !!

I think I will order a Flux in the next few days... 

I would like to have the maximum waist width to avoid booting out (soft boots, EU47, low angles), so I have to reduce the board length and/or increase the sidecut radius.

What do you think is better / less worst ? Reducing board length or increase the radius ?

What would be the minimum board length and the maximum radius you could advice me ?

I am 190cm and around 100kg.

@dredman

Thanks for your proposition to try your secret construction board, but I live in France... There, I do not have opportunities to try such boards ! So, I do really appreciate your advices, feedbacks and points of view... I have to choose with that ! And, delivery and customs fees are expensive, so I can't order and sell if not ok to order another board... I have to make the good choice at the first time !

14 minutes ago, Ster said:

What do you think is better / less worst ? Reducing board length or increase the radius ?

What would be the minimum board length and the maximum radius you could advice me ?

I would get in touch with Donek.  They can custom build you exactly what you want.  Fill them in on all of your details and riding style and they will build your dream ride... 

The North American board builders are all spectacular.  Donek, Winterstick, Exegi, Coda, Coiler and Thirst boards are built individually for the rider.

14 minutes ago, dredman said:

I would get in touch with Donek.  They can custom build you exactly what you want.  Fill them in on all of your details and riding style and they will build your dream ride... 

The North American board builders are all spectacular.  Donek, Winterstick, Exegi, Coda, Coiler and Thirst boards are built individually for the rider.

I am in touch with Sean, the current sizing is 165cm with 9.5m/11m radius for a 30.2cm waist width.

I would like to go with 30.5cm at the waist. This could be possible increasing the radius up to 10m/11.5m OR reducing the board length down to 161cm.

Regarding this choice, he cannot advise me... nor for the maximum radius...

So, I try to get riders feedbacks !

5 minutes ago, dredman said:

@Ster  tell us about your riding style, what you want the board to do, and what type of terrain you like riding.  Maybe we can help.

Very aggressive ride, with lots of big high speed runs on pistes. Carving and try to improve extreme carving. Few switch, just when needed (technical passages) or when trying 180 jumps for fun (rare, I am too old for it !). Powder when the conditions are ok (rare). I am looking for a very stable board at high speed, able to help me deep carve, and keep ability on difficult passages.

2 minutes ago, Jack M said:

What is your boot size in mondopoint?

31cm

This is what I precised on Donek forms :

Aggressive ride, need extreme stability with high speed, want to improve carving.
Not a freestyle rider, I prefer big runs on pistes and I love powder when possible (but rare).
Switch is not what I'm looking for, only exceptionnaly when necessary (difficult passages).
Love to play with limits on icy steep pistes.
My soft boots are EU48, tail angle -12 or -9, nose angle +18 or +21.
Need a very wide board due to the lenght of my boots and low angles

Actual boards (waist 28.4cm) Never Summer Proto FR 166DF and Elan El Grande 171

Boards I tried : Swoard Dual 2 175 (too flex, not enougth stiff), Nitro Pantera 169 wide (not enougth stable at high speed)

Waist width 28.4 is really not enougth for big carve turns. Boot out !!!

Edited by Ster

Eu 47 is mondo 30.5 according to upz chart. Measure naked feet while standing in evening cm. It’s not always waist but width at rear inserts that matter most depending on sidecut profile/binding angle. The 165 (or 168) is solid and don’t be shy with the larger sidecut you feel most comfortable with, reading about your higher speed riding and extreme carving aspirations. Consider sidecut depth, not just radii. You’ll probably need to ask Sean specifically for this spec; if he’s willing. Above tree line open piste and firm groom, 30cm wide is “good enough” and better to add a plate when desired. Otherwise at least 30.5 if high snowfall in your area of riding in France. Imo, go secret or full titanal. Sean knows best about the hairs you may be splitting with regards to performance between these options. Working with the board builder is the most important but others feedback can help. It can also sound like noise so take all input with a grain of salt and you make the call. All board makers mentioned above should recommend good things. You’re in good hands and on the right path. 

Edited by dhamann
  • Thanks 1

It would be nice if we could put together some sort of reference for the various board makers' various options. It can be hard to find comparisons, and the makers' sites are often sparse on details. If not for this forum I wouldn't even know Winterstick makes dedicated carving boards.

38 minutes ago, dhamann said:

Eu 47 is mondo 30.5 according to upz chart. Measure naked feet while standing in evening cm. It’s not always waist but width at rear inserts that matter most depending on sidecut profile/binding angle. The 165 (or 168) is solid and don’t be shy with the larger sidecut you feel most comfortable with, reading about your higher speed riding and extreme carving aspirations. Consider sidecut depth, not just radii. You’ll probably need to ask Sean specifically for this spec; if he’s willing. Above tree line open piste and firm groom, 30cm wide is “good enough” and better to add a plate when desired. Otherwise at least 30.5 if high snowfall in your area of riding in France. Imo, go secret or full titanal. Sean knows best about the hairs you may be splitting with regards to performance between these options. Working with the board builder is the most important but others feedback can help. It can also sound like noise so take all input with a grain of salt and you make the call. All board makers mentioned above should recommend good things. You’re in good hands and on the right path. 

@dhamann Thanks a lot !

I just sent an email to Sean, let's wait and see his point of view...

• Like 1

31 is up there.  You are up against the maximum width of available materials, unfortunately.  Shorter radius = wider nose/tail.  I like the sound of the 165cm, 9.5-11m.  Ride higher angles!  :eplus2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ster said:

just sent an email to Sean, let's wait and see his point of view

Probably gonna lean in the direction of the American flag donek logo for the topsheet he already has spec’d in his system after all this discussion. 😝 just kidding. American humor. Whatever you want, as long as it’s black.